Fun Road to Worlds 2018

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Hey everyone! I’m not sure how many people will end up following this thread, but I’m here to chronicle my quest to get an invite to Worlds 2018 in Nashville, Tennessee. You could call this a diary, of sorts, but I also plan to include what deck I played, as well as what I played against. This is partially for the sake of posterity, and partially to keep a track record of my progress as a player.

This entry will have two tournaments, but most entries will be a single tournament.

27 August 2017 ~ League Challenge ~ Fredericton, New Brunswick.

This was the last tournament I had access to during the previous season’s Standard rotation. I went into this tournament with about 4 hours of sleep, as I worked the night before. I was working on a variation of Naoto Suzuki’s Worlds 2017 Runner-up Golisopod-GX/Garbodor deck, but since this was the old Standard, I decided to use Rainbow Road, one of my all-time favourite decks, one last time. Since the tournament took play at my Local Game Store, where my League is hosted, I followed my normal routine of getting to the store, going to McDonald’s to get coffee, and chatting with store employees.

This was a small League Challenge, with only 8 people registered, which isn’t unusual, as we’re a relatively small League. Three rounds of Best of 3 Swiss, which is standard at this League.

##Pokémon - 13
* 2 Shaymin-EX
* 1 Umbreon-EX
* 4 Xerneas
* 1 Marshadow-GX
* 1 Jolteon-EX
* 1 Genesect-EX
* 1 Hoopa-EX
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX
* 1 Volcanion-EX

##Trainer Cards - 33
* 3 Choice Band
* 2 N
* 1 Olympia
* 2 Guzma
* 4 Ultra Ball
* 1 Super Rod
* 1 Escape Rope
* 1 Nest Ball
* 4 Max Elixir
* 2 Float Stone
* 1 Karen
* 3 Sky Field
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 4 VS Seeker

##Energy - 14
* 8 Fairy Energy
* 2 Lightning Energy
* 4 Double Colorless Energy

First round was against Typhlosion. Overall, it’s an amusing deck, but I’ve never considered it to be much of a threat, especially against my Rainbow Road build. In Game 1, my opponent managed to knock out one of my Xerneas, but I cleared his board before he could get a second Typhlosion up. Game 2 was extremely easy. I cleared his board before he even had the chance to set one Typhlosion up.
1-0

Second round was against Gardevoir-GX. It was similar to Diego Cassiraga’s Worlds 2017 First Place list, but I do believe that my opponent had done minor tweaking to fit the local meta. Game 1 was quite close, and I greatly enjoyed it. In the end, I came ahead, and won the first game. Game 2 was, unfortunately, almost a non-existent game. My opponent had a Kirlia, while I had a full Bench with a powered up Xerneas ready to go. I would have preferred another game like Game 1, but hey, I’ll take the win.
2-0

Third and final round was against another Gardevoir-GX build. My opponent was my main testing partner, so we both knew each other’s decks quite well. The rounds were 40 minutes long, and our Game 1 took 32 of the 40 minutes. It was ridiculously long, which is at least partially because of how well we knew each other’s decks, I believe. It was a super close game, too, and we both struggled. It was probably the most entertaining game I played all day, too. We asked the Judge how much time we had left, and he told us that we had eight minutes left. We both had that “Oh crap” look on our faces, and then shuffled and dealt out opening hands pretty quickly. The entire game was in Fast-Forward, both of us playing much faster than usual. Once time was called, we both relaxed, and starting thinking things through more carefully. I was Turn 0, and on Turns 1 and 3, my friend managed to get a knock-out, which lead him to winning Game 2 on Turn 3 of Time. That was close. It ended up coming down to tie-breakers, so we were both a bit tense and worried. The Judge announced that I won, and my whole body released all of the tension, and I slid down in my chair.
2-0-1 for First Place.

When I went to work later that night, I dismantled Rainbow Road. I played the deck for about 10 months, so I had quite a history with it. It was a bit bittersweet.

As for prizes, I won a pack, some promos, and a sealed pack of Heart Gold & Soul Silver Call of Legends Play! Pokémon Promo Energy, and added 15 points to my total Championship Point total, giving me 25 out of the 400 needed.

25/400

10 September 2017 ~ League Cup ~ Augusta, Maine

My international debut! I had… Very little sleep prior to this tournament. I worked Friday night, 11pm til 7am, my mom came to town to visit around noon, and I didn’t get to sleep until about 530pm. I woke up at 8pm to get ready for work and the trip to the tournament, went to work for 11pm, worked til 7am, and then left for Maine. After the tournament, we left, drove the four hours home, and then I immediately went to work for another overnight shift. Between Friday night when I woke up, and Monday morning at the end of my shift, I had about two and a half hours of sleep. In retrospect, I feel like I may have done better with a bit more sleep, but everything about this Cup was last minute for me. Even the last piece of my deck was last minute. Thankfully, I managed to find a second Tapu Lele-GX to borrow on the car ride there. I drank a lot of coffee in that period of time. Probably too much, but that’s neither here nor there.

This League Cup was 5 rounds of Best of 1 Swiss, a new experience for me, plus a top cut with 3 rounds of Best of 3 Elimination.

##Pokémon - 18
* 4 Wimpod
* 3 Golisopod-GX
* 1 Tapu Koko
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX
* 4 Trubbish
* 2 Garbodor
* 2 Garbodor

##Trainer Cards - 32
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 4 N
* 1 Brigette
* 3 Guzma
* 3 Acerola
* 3 Ultra Ball
* 2 Choice Band
* 4 Float Stone
* 1 Field Blower
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 2 Heavy Ball
* 2 Switch
* 1 Enhanced Hammer

##Energy - 10
* 4 Rainbow Energy
* 3 Grass Energy
* 3 Double Colorless Energy

First round was against Vikavolt/Tapu Bulu-GX. Right away I knew that I was playing against a whole new type of opponent. I was talking to him later, and he confirmed my suspicion: he had been at Worlds 2017. Overall, the game was far from one-sided, but I did lose eventually. It was a lot of fun, and a great learning experience, too. I ended up using all four of my copies of N, and two Professor Sycamore. That was certainly something.
0-1

Second round was against Greninja. I wasn’t expecting to see any Greninja decks, in all honesty. It was a ridiculously short game. I went first, and opened with a Trubbish in the Active and a Wimpod on Bench, and my opponent opened with a Talonflame. I attached a Grass Energy to Wimpod, and a Float Stone to Trubbish, and passed my turn. He attached a Water Energy and then used Aero Blitz, passing the turn. I don’t know Greninja well, but I can tell that this wasn’t his ideal Turn 1. I drew for turn, and got an Ultra Ball. My hand at this point was 2x Golisopod-GX, Professor Sycamore, Guzma, and Ultra Ball. I used Ultra Ball, discarding a Golisopod-GX and the Guzma, to get a Garbotoxin Garbodor, which I then used to evolve the Trubbish. I then evolved my Wimpod, and played my Professor Sycamore. I don’t recall the hand, other than a Double Colorless Energy; the rest was inconsequential. I attached the DCE, retreated the Garbodor, promoting Golisopod-GX, and used Crossing Cut-GX for game.
1-1

Third round was a mirror match! I was actually hoping that I would encounter a mirror match, because I wanted to experience it. My opening was less than stellar, and I ended up falling behind, and was unable to catch up. It was a bit annoying, but overall it was a good experience. My opponent was really nice, and it turns out that he works in the same field as I do, so we had plenty to talk about after the game.
1-2

Fourth round was against Quad Sylveon. This game was a terrible grind. My opponent was pleasant, which made an otherwise aggravating deck somewhat tolerable to play against. I was extremely close to winning, but then a lucky heads got rid of my last Energy on board via Crushing Hammer. I used an Ultra Ball to confirm my worst fear - my last Rainbow Energy was Prized. Instead of dragging it out, I conceded, and explained that I was out of energy. This was by far the most frustrating experience of the entire tournament.
1-3

Fifth round was against what I’ve decided to call Frankenstein’s Deck. It was a mixture of good things that sort of worked together. It had Glaceon-EX, Espeon-EX, and Zoroark BREAK. Tapu Lele-GX got some work in against this deck, due to Glaceon-EX’s Crystal Ray. I ended up winning due to getting Guzma at the perfect time, to bring the Zoroark BREAK out, and then attacking with Armor Press, which hit for exactly how much HP that Zoroark BREAK had left. I more or less had control of the game for the entirety of it, so it wasn’t particularly worrisome.
2-3 for 15 of 21.

No prizes, but I did get to travel to the USA with a couple of friends, made a couple of new friends, and I got a ton of very valuable experience, so overall, it was 100% worth it. I also got to pick up a few cans of Arizona Sweet Tea, which made the trip worth it by itself.

25/400.

My next tournament is a League Cup 16 September 2017, in Presque Isle, Maine. I don’t work the night before, so I’ll actually have some sleep beforehand. Hopefully that helps.

16 September 2017 ~ League Cup ~ Presque Isle, Maine

A bit late on this report, but I’ve been working a ridiculous amount of hours at work. Anyhow, this was my second US tournament! I saw a few of the guys from the previous League Cup in Augusta there, and they all thought I was gonna play Golisopod again. It probably didn’t help that I was wearing my Team Skull pendant. I actually ended up piloting a new variation of my Expanded Rainbow Road! I also managed to get about five hours of sleep the night before! Both things definitely helped me out. In between rounds, I also ended up picking up a pack of Call of Legends (but sadly pulled nothing) and a Luxray GL (one of my favourite Pokémon, and one of my favourite Gym Leaders). The Cup was, once again, five rounds of Bo1 Swiss, with a Top 4 at Bo3 Single Elimination.

So without further ado, here’s the list:

** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List **

##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77

* 1 Umbreon-EX FAC 119

* 4 Xerneas BKT 107

* 1 Sudowoodo GRI 66

* 1 Jolteon-EX GEN 28

* 1 Genesect-EX FAC 120

* 1 Hoopa-EX AOR 36

* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

* 1 Volcanion-EX STS 107

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Colress PLS 135

* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177

* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

* 3 Sky Field ROS 89

* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102

* 2 Float Stone BKT 137

* 1 Nest Ball SUM 123

* 1 Escape Rope PRC 127

* 1 Super Rod BKT 149

* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 135

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137

* 2 Guzma BUS 115

* 2 N FAC 105

* 3 Choice Band GRI 121

##Energy - 14

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

* 8 Fairy Energy 9

* 2 Lightning Energy 4

First round was against Gardevoir, I think? I say I think because he never actually got a Gardevoir out, and he mentioned that the deck was about six months old. There were Ralts and Kirlia though, and a Gallade. I was much faster with the set up, and much luckier with Energy draws, so I had little issue beating him. Really nice guy, though, and we chatted and joked the whole time. He even used an expression that I’ve only ever heard my Grammie and Grampie say, which amused me.
1-0

Second round was against an interesting Mega Gyarados-EX deck. I didn’t see a lot of it during the game proper, because I was able to set up very quickly, and removed his major threat early on, and he failed to recover. Once again, nice guy, so it was a pleasant round at least. I only saw a Gyarados-EX and a Psyduck from him.
2-0

Third round was probably my most difficult and most entertaining round. My opponent flipped over a Keldeo to start, and one on Bench. In the back of my head, I thought “Oh, maybe he just had a bad start.” Nope, he was playin’ Deluge Blastoise. I’ve heard of the deck before, and I’ve seen it played on YouTube, but I’ve never seen it in person. I’ve seen the destructive potential of Deluge, so needless to say, I was a bit worried. We were both 2-0, and he was very familiar with the deck. We were pretty close in prizes at one point, and his Tapu Lele-GX was ridiculously powerful with about seven Energy attached. Thankfully, I was able to attach a Double Colorless Energy to my own Tapu Lele-GX, and take the knock out. After that, I managed to stay in control long enough to eke out a victory. Definitely a deck I would be interested in playing against again. This was also one of the guys from Augusta, so it was cool getting to see him again.
3-0

Fourth round was a sub-par pairing. I was paired against my friend, one of the two with whom I travelled to Maine. We decided to do an intentional draw, as we are both trying to earn enough points to make it to Worlds, so we wanted each other to have the best shot possible. I realize that IDing can be controversial, but this was a relatively small Cup, and we were both doing very well, so I’m okay with it.
3-0-1

Fifth round was against Golisopod-GX. This ended up being another ID, because both of us had a good enough record that, regardless of whether or not we won or lost, we would both end up in the Top 4. We decided to ID so that we could have a short break. We ended up playing a game for fun, too, and he ended up stomping me. He plays a Sudowoodo from Burning Shadows as a One-of, and that really screwed up my math. Every time I’d get close to a knockout, I’d be one Benched Pokémon short of getting it (with a Choice Band attached), and then he’d Acerola the damage away. It also just so happens that a single First Impression is enough damage, when it is powered up, to knock out my Xerneas.
3-0-2

First round of Top 4 was against the Golisopod-GX deck once again. The same struggles I had in our fun game were present in both of our games for the Best of Three. I did manage to KO one of his Golisopod-GX, though, through sheer luck on my part (my opponent failed to draw an Acerola).
3-0-2 > Top 4 Elim for Third Place!

Earned 32 points, and it knocks out my League Challenge from before.

47/400

The guy I IDed with in R4 ended up winning first place! We went to an Irish pub afterwards for some delicious food, then we drove back to Canada. I also managed to not be late for work this time, so bonus.

Next League Cup will be in October, I believe.

Yet another addition to my lovely Worlds grind.

8 October 2017 ~ League Challenge ~ Fredericton, New Brunswick

So this was a League Challenge that, in the long run, was largely irrelevant to me, because of how points are earned. With that knowledge, I decided that this was the perfect time to try John Kettler's Rainbow Road list, which was a slightly modified version of Andrew Wamboldt's. This, for me, was a case of both Net Decking and using what I know well. I've been playing Rainbow Road for over a year at this point, in some form or another, and have consistently done well. Before hearing about this list, I thought that I was retiring Rainbow Road for good at Rotation. Surprise! This Challenge was Bo1 Swiss for 3 Rounds.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Drampa-GX GRI 115
* 1 Oranguru PR-SM SM13
* 2 Pawniard STS 63
* 4 Xerneas BKT 107
* 2 Galvantula STS 42
* 2 Joltik STS 41
* 2 Bisharp STS 64
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Volcanion-EX STS 107

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 3 N FCO 105
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 1 Lillie SUM 122
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95

##Energy - 13

* 9 Fairy Energy 9
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

So, this Challenge was tiny. It's Thanksgiving Weekend here in Canada, so a lot of regulars weren't around.

First round was against... Nothing. I got the bye on R1. Not what I wanted, but hey, a win's a win?
1-0

Second round was against Sylveon-GX. The moment I saw the Eevee on the field, I sighed. Playing against Sylveon-GX is always such a grind. The guy piloting it is a good guy, though, and we kept up a lively conversation, so at least it wasn't gonna be boring. I went first, and had an explosive first turn. I was set up beautifully, and was pretty happy. I used a Lillie on this turn, which was totally new for me, as I've never used Lillie in any deck before. Drawing six cards with no downside felt great (I had two in hand). On my second turn, I got a Tapu Lele-GX knockout, and got two helpful prizes (what they were I don't remember, but I was very happy to draw them at the time). On my third turn, I knocked out a Sylveon, but he had another Eevee on bench, unfortunately. On his turn, he played Parallel City. Deep sigh. Thankfully, I had my three dual types ready and rarin' to go. The game became a grind for a bit, as he made it impossible to OHKO his Sylveon without a Professor Kukui or Choice Band, neither of which I was able to find. Eventually I was able to secure the game, but the grind was real.
2-0

Third round was against Volcanion. My opponent mentioned that he wasn't sure how this match up would work, and I assured him that I wasn't certain either. The game was really fun, but it wasn't easy for either of us. We both had our "Well, crap, what do I do now?" moments. I managed to get three KOs with three Xerneas (one a piece), but my third Xerneas was a miracle. I'm still not entirely certain how I managed to get a DCE and a Fairy onto it in one turn (Yami, are you there?). Unfortunately, with nine cards left in my deck, and no Xerneas or Energy left, I ended up scooping. We both had a really fun game, and I got to test out a different variant on my favourite deck, so I was pleased as punch.
2-1 for Second Place.

No more points, like I stated earlier. Still 47/400.

Next week will be our League Cup! That one I really want to win. Points, yes, but mainly because I love the Ho-Oh playmat.

Back