• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Reworking an Overflow theme deck?

Psyphoon

Newbie Collector
Hi, everyone! I bought my first deck today, so I thought I'd post here. If this in error, I sincerely apologize. I was hoping I might get some ideas of how to rip apart the theme deck and improve upon the basic idea. I've been playing trading card games off and on for years, so I suspect this won't be too hard. Again, if this is not allowed then I sincerely apologize. If so, I'd greatly appreciate the advice!

The theme deck is "Overflow" from Supreme Victors. The deck list is below.

Pokemon:
x1 Milotic C
x2 Spiritomb C
x1 Roserade C
x1 Swampert
x2 Marshtomp
x4 Mudkip
x2 Floatzel
x4 Buizel
x3 Corphish
x4 Croagunk
x3 Skorupi

Trainer/Supporter:
x2 Cynthia's Feelings
x2 Roseanne's Research
x1 Night Teleporter
x2 Potion
x2 Switch

Energy:
x15 Water
x9 Psychic

Oh boy, not a lot to work with for pokemon here. Not much of a T/S/S engine either. I hate to say there's nothing to work with here, but...there really is nearly nothing competitive to work with here.

For now, just getting started, cut some of the less useful pokemon lines (the unevolving Skorupi and Croagunk come to mind) for more trainers and supporters to help your pokemon get set up. Stuff like Bebe's Search, Pokemon Collector, Broken Time-Space, Rare Candy, Pokemon Comm, etc. As you do this you can probably get down to around 10-13 total energy as well.

what if the basic idea itself is bad? :(

Other theme decks have a better starting set of cards, hgss typhosion, unleashed's dark/psychic deck..you happened to pick a Really bad deck to start with, no offense.

to make this not spam:

-2 roseanne's research (not legal in standard play)
+2 pokemon collector (needed in EVERY DECK because it can help you get pokemon)

There's a TON more I could suggest but I have no idea what your price range is..

Honestly not to sound mean...but do some pre-constructed deck research online, find one you like (I'd suggest the new call of legends lucario deck, as you can then buy the clash of legends box and get palkia g x, then you just need to trade for palkia g and you have the base for a good and Fun starting deck) and buy that/those, then buy/trade for cards to improve your deck.

Ouch. I'm definitely disappointed in my choice. Thank you both very much for your insight and honesty! I'll pick up a better starting deck and try again. I appreciate your time, guys. Thanks again!

-Shaun

Thanks for the continued advice, guys. I'll try to figure out a fun build for the Overflow and play the Retort in the meanwhile. Continued comments are always appreciated.

-Shaun

FawfulGengar: In your opinion, what should I keep and what should I scrap to start a Donkphan on this one?

2 Phanpy (add 2 HGSS)
9 Fighting Energy
2 PONT
1 PETM
2 Pokemon Communication
as you can see, its not a great start, and theres probably a decent deck you can build with more of the cards from this deck, but Donkphan is great. If you get the 2 extra Phanpy, all you need is 4 Donphan Prime, some Trainers like Rare Candy and Luxury Ball, and probably pick out a basic to throw in that can search for a phanpy if you don't start with one, that can do it with 1 or less fighting energy.

Sweet. I personally am a big fan of Donkphan, it's the only donk deck I like. 60 Damage for {F} Is great, and on a stage 1, it's even better.

Back