Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Pokemon.com has updated its promo legality page with three upcoming promo cards: Mismagius (SM245), Sabrina & Brycen (SM246), and Crobat V (SWSH110).
Mismagius and Sabrina & Brycen will be legal on August 20th. Cards are legal two weeks after release, so this should be confirmation they will be included in August 6th’s Trainer’s Toolkit. Crobat V is already confirmed for the kit, which indicates this even further. Crobat V will be legal on August 6th because it’s a reprint.
This news also means Sun & Moon promos are still being printed! The last one was Aipom in May 2020. The bulk of Sun & Moon promos finished releasing in fall 2019 upon the release of Sword & Shield.
Originally, Mismagius and Bellelba & Brycen-Man...

Continue reading...

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
So if they are legal 2 weeks after the toolkit releases on August 6...does that mean they have 3 weeks before they are rotated? :p

Since these are S&M era cards I don't see them having regulation marks. If they did, I can't see them using D when the Japanese versions were C. We don't have a legal Misdreavus post rotation anyway at the moment haha.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
I'm assuming by "these cards will be legal on August 20th" that means they'll be legal in Standard for like, half a month, and then just Expanded and Unlimited.

If not... the idea of TPCi adding 2 gen 7 cards to a format purely consisting of over 1200 unique gen 8 cards makes my skin crawl

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Phew, good thing they've saved us from these two. If not for that, we'd surely have a format where a few extremely overpowered cards ruled above everything else, "making the play environment less enjoyable", as they said in their own words. /s

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Phew, good thing they've saved us from these two. If not for that, we'd surely have a format where a few extremely overpowered cards ruled above everything else, "making the play environment less enjoyable", as they said in their own words. /s
I don’t think Belelba and Brycen Man is comparable to ADP or powercreep. Those are very powerful mill and control effects, and even though they work both ways, you can still design your deck so that it hurts your opponent more than it hurts you.
As for Mismagius, not sure what the problem is. Perhaps it was too much of a problem for a Pokémon that can knock itself out for a powerful draw bonus to be able to continuously keep Pokémon asleep. Regardless, the current standard is only unfun if you don’t enjoy using any of the BDIF or if you find the pace disagreeable… it’s a simple format, but not everyone finds it unfun (though admittedly many of the people who like it would still appreciate it if there was more room for diversity). Mill and control, on the other hand, is ALWAYS a pain to deal with and very frustrating to find yourself losing to. It doesn’t STOP decks getting into a format (necessarily), but it makes life miserable for virtually every deck already in the format.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I don’t think Belelba and Brycen Man is comparable to ADP or powercreep. Those are very powerful mill and control effects, and even though they work both ways, you can still design your deck so that it hurts your opponent more than it hurts you.
As for Mismagius, not sure what the problem is. Perhaps it was too much of a problem for a Pokémon that can knock itself out for a powerful draw bonus to be able to continuously keep Pokémon asleep. Regardless, the current standard is only unfun if you don’t enjoy using any of the BDIF or if you find the pace disagreeable… it’s a simple format, but not everyone finds it unfun (though admittedly many of the people who like it would still appreciate it if there was more room for diversity). Mill and control, on the other hand, is ALWAYS a pain to deal with and very frustrating to find yourself losing to. It doesn’t STOP decks getting into a format (necessarily), but it makes life miserable for virtually every deck already in the format.
People were using Mismagius with Reset Stamp and hand discard to give the opponent a low or empty hand on turn 1 (remember that Dusk Stone breaks evolution rules).

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
It baffles me that at this point in time people are still whining about the format. I mean, it would be okay-ish to simply whine because you subjectively don't like some particular characteristics of it, but to actually spill objectively and verifiably false arguments to bash it is some major league BS. There's no few "boogeyman" cards or decks "ruling above all else" and there hasn't been for quite a while. For Christ's sake it's not even beating a dead horse at this point, the horse doesn't even exist anymore. We have top 8s with 8 different decks, and it's safe to say that there are something close to 10 or more different archetypes with real chances of winning a tournament at any given day. Not only that, even though we're in the age were formats are supposed to be solved almost instantly because of the speed and amount of information available through the internet, we're still finding new decks every other day, and even the best decks are changing constantly still in search of the "optimal" build. We effing get it, Stage 2s suck, boohoo, get over it. My goodness people, enjoy the OBJECTIVELY super diverse format they managed to give us, or at least use non-objectively false arguments to whine about it.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
It baffles me that at this point in time people are still whining about the format. I mean, it would be okay-ish to simply whine because you subjectively don't like some particular characteristics of it, but to actually spill objectively and verifiably false arguments to bash it is some major league BS. There's no few "boogeyman" cards or decks "ruling above all else" and there hasn't been for quite a while. For Christ's sake it's not even beating a dead horse at this point, the horse doesn't even exist anymore. We have top 8s with 8 different decks, and it's safe to say that there are something close to 10 or more different archetypes with real chances of winning a tournament at any given day. Not only that, even though we're in the age were formats are supposed to be solved almost instantly because of the speed and amount of information available through the internet, we're still finding new decks every other day, and even the best decks are changing constantly still in search of the "optimal" build. We effing get it, Stage 2s suck, boohoo, get over it. My goodness people, enjoy the OBJECTIVELY super diverse format they managed to give us, or at least use non-objectively false arguments to whine about it.

and the format is bland and boring because Stage 2's suck

Nothing about the card game looks enticing. That's the reality. It hasn't for years.

Why? Cause all that ever seems to be good is stale white bread. If you can't see why no one likes the game anymore, it's very telling how new you are to the game.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
and the format is bland and boring because Stage 2's suck

Nothing about the card game looks enticing. That's the reality. It hasn't for years.

Why? Cause all that ever seems to be good is stale white bread. If you can't see why no one likes the game anymore, it's very telling how new you are to the game.
That's not the "reality", that's your "subjective opinion". Big difference there.

Yeah, just been playing since the game's inception, very "new".

Also, I already said in my previous comment that it's ok to *SUBJECTIVELY* not like the game for this or that reason, my gripe is people using just plain wrong and false arguments to justify it. In this case it was implied that the problem was diversity, and I just pointed out how that's OBJECTIVELY false given the data, period.

I also wish the game would go back to a pace more akin to what Legacy delivers eventually, but it's also okay for it to fluctuate, it's only natural, it's unreasonable and unrealistic, for a number of different reasons, to expect that the game would be exactly the same for 20+years, and what grinds my gears is that people can't seem to appreciate the good things about the current game and devolve to childish, repetitive, and sometimes like was the case here, just false whining.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Please don't try to start another heated debate. Yes, the format is obviously not the worst thing in the world, and it's gotten a lot better since TEU-DAA. Anyone who says Standard right now is the worst format in the game's history is clearly naïve. But there's no need to be aggressive.

Not just Stage 2 cards, but basically every non-supporting Stage 1 card (Donphan, Salazzle, and maybe Whimsicott are the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head), most basic cards, and a few Vs and VMAXs are very difficult to find a genuine use for. Which is most of the cards in most player's collections. Very not good- especially considering how gigantic expansions are now.

Since Tag Teams will be gone after rotation, and since VMAX decks need an extra turn in play to set up, people will be able to play slower decks again with these cards.

I think people are just getting grouchy because what seems to be a vastly superior format is just under two months away, and they have to play two more months of a game that is too fast for most of their collections, which has pretty much been that way since Tag Teams started wreaking havoc, that's all.

Last edited:

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Please don't try to start another heated debate. Yes, the format is obviously not the worst thing in the world, and it's gotten a lot better since TEU-DAA. Anyone who says Standard right now is the worst format in the game's history is clearly naïve. But there's no need to be aggressive.

Not just Stage 2 cards, but basically every non-supporting Stage 1 card (Donphan, Salazzle, and maybe Whimsicott are the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head), most basic cards, and a few Vs and VMAXs are very difficult to find a genuine use for. Which is most of the cards in most player's collections. Very not good- especially considering how gigantic expansions are now.

Since Tag Teams will be gone after rotation, and since VMAX decks need an extra turn in play to set up, people will be able to play slower decks again with these cards.

I think people are just getting grouchy because what seems to be a vastly superior format is just under two months away, and they have to play two more months of a game that is too fast for most of their collections, which has pretty much been that way since Tag Teams started wreaking havoc, that's all.

I mean, to be fair, isn't this "most basic cards, and a few Vs and VMAXs are very difficult to find a genuine use for. Which is most of the cards in most player's collections. Very not good- especially considering how gigantic expansions are now." true for all TCGs, like ever? Isn't it always just a handful of cards from the hundreds and hundreds that exist that are playable? I think by TCGs standards of what's expected to be playable at a given point in time and with a certain card pool, the game is actually doing great.

It was a rough patch for a while, with Rebel Clash it was all about Dragapult, then Darkness Ablaze made Eternatus simply extinguish the last big thing with the new, then the three next sets did like, nothing, ugh, now *that* was bad...but since Battle Styles, not only that set single handedly brought many different decks to life, when the next set came out, it didn't simply kill what came immediately before like DAA did with RCL, Chilling Reign just added a whole new bunch of cards and decks to the format, and Evolving Skies seems to be on the same path. On many levels this is amazing and there's a lot of good about the game.

I cannot wait for rotation, I tend to always prefer formats with the least sets in it, be it PTCG, MtG, etc. My only concern is that now that Tag Teams are gone, there's no decks that want to go second and decks that want to go first, with Vmaxes and evolving single prizer decks, pretty much everyone wants to go first and it absolutely sucks going second, mostly because of the weird choice in design to purposefully make the basic Vs absolutely useless stepping stones with no personality or nuances of their own. If every playable Vmax had an interesting Basic V that could actually do something when they went second that would make the coin flip at the start of the game less swingy. Specially when at least 2 archetypes can easily boss-kill your evolving V turn 2. But other than that I cannot wait to play post rotation.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
That's not the "reality", that's your "subjective opinion". Big difference there.

Yeah, just been playing since the game's inception, very "new".

Also, I already said in my previous comment that it's ok to *SUBJECTIVELY* not like the game for this or that reason, my gripe is people using just plain wrong and false arguments to justify it. In this case it was implied that the problem was diversity, and I just pointed out how that's OBJECTIVELY false given the data, period.

I also wish the game would go back to a pace more akin to what Legacy delivers eventually, but it's also okay for it to fluctuate, it's only natural, it's unreasonable and unrealistic, for a number of different reasons, to expect that the game would be exactly the same for 20+years, and what grinds my gears is that people can't seem to appreciate the good things about the current game and devolve to childish, repetitive, and sometimes like was the case here, just false whining.
It's both an opinion, but also a reality because it's shared opinion by a lot of players.

I see the game heading in a good direction and I can only hope it does. It isn't whining or childish to want the game to be better, more accessible, and do a better job of it's organized play for both players and judges.

I understand gimmicks happen, and they're a fun part of Pokemon, but not when it makes the game feel over dominated. In my opinion, It feels too much like there's a dependence on rotation to solve all the problems, and that's not a sign of a game being well built.

Our opinions differ, but at the end of the day, I'd say we both want the game to be better. I'm sure it's like that for many who wish to hop back in, but have been burned too much by the game these past couple of years.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Sabrina&Brycen is oddly good with Ho-Oh EX from Dragon Exalted,not gonna lie.