RDL in Reshiboar?

Cinema

Gyarados Bait
I've been trying out Reshiboar lately and I like it alot, but my only question is whether you need Rayquayza Deoxys Legend in it? Not only does it take up at least 4 spots, counting electric energies that I wouldn't play otherwise, but I don't own one and they're pretty expensive.

One of my friends runs RDL in his ReshiBoar deck and it can really work wonders. The only thing you need to watch out for is Zoroark since it can one shot it with Foul Play.

RDL is meant to be played when you have two prizes left, dropped and charged in one turn, and drawing the last two prizes. If it is getting KOed by Zoroark you are doing something wrong.

It just seems really inconsistent to be playing that, plus at the very least 2 Lightning energy. In my build I'd have to drop my two twins, which can be really valuable, especially against Stage 1's and Zekrom, 2 potentially hard match ups. I'd also like to know a way in to beat trainer lock, specifically gothitelle. They can catcher emboar, and with no switch I'm in trouble.

You should have plenty of room for RDL. It doesn't take up so much room that you're taking out the one card that you can search it out with instantly with lol. It's a key part of the deck and what makes it so good (KOing that stuff that doesn't like to get KO'ed in one hit).

dmaster out.

I think you should at least try it out. It works really well as a late game finisher.

You could try playing just a 1-1 line; I wasn't aware most decks used full-blown 2-2. Since you'll be down to 2 prizes when you actually want it out, chances are it won't be stuck there. Just a thought.

I was thinking about 1-1 line initially, and if I'm able to get my hands on one I'll definitely try it out, or maybe just proxy it lol. When I say 4 spots, I'm including the electric energies I'd need to add.

The more important question I have is how to beat google-- Once they set up their Legend, there's no way to KO it reliably without extreme, inconsistent teching. At a whopping 160 HP, even BadBoar can't OHKO without help. I've been attempting to use Magby, but it just doesn't cut it. I also run a Bellsprout but they always have either a DCE or a Twins for one.

I've tested a 1-1 line quite a bit, and Reshiboar plows through so fast (after Emboar is set up) thst a half of RDL being prized shouldn't be too much of a problem. For my Reshiboar, I run a 1-1 RDL and 2 Lightning energy. With Energy Retrieval, you are still able to grab a discarded Lightning energy. It shouldn't take up much space, and it can be worth it in the long run.

With googlebox (or "The Truth" as some like to call it), Zekrom is an interesting tech and can still function off of Fire energy, and after 1 Blue Flare from Reshiram, Zekrom finishes off the job. It's not the best one out there (Magby or Bellsprout can work just fine), but if you're looking for just a little more damage to keep the prize exchange going, Zekrom is a nice choice.

I used to play a 2-2 line with 3 Lightning, and it worked wonders. I'd say if you are ahead in prizes by any amount and you are in a good spot, and you can see that there is any chance whatsoever they wont be able to return ko it, take a risk and lay it down and attack with it. Even if they do end up being able to return ko, you will still be ahead and it will be easy enough to finish off the game with a few Blue Flares.

I find 2-2 a lot better than 1-1, as it makes it a lot easier to consistently find it, and for a while I even only played 3 Reshiram. This probably wouldn't work in the current format, but i was just emphasizing how useful it can be.

Up against Goth? Just go on an Ozone Buster rampage. It would take forever for them to do enough damage to ko RDL once you surprise them with it, as most Goths put so much energy on their active they dont put enough on their benched.

For The Truth, all you need to do is Magby and then Ozone Buster. All you need to do is to make sure you ONLY play it down on the turn you can make it active and attack with it, or else its just a free two prizes. I also advice against using it if you are down in prizes. Hope I helped, and good luck!

Beating google.dec shouldn't be too much of a problem. If it's just the traditional build you can use RDL/Badboar to OHKO Donphan. I don't think the dragons that google.dec would give you too much trouble either. And then if you're worried about their ESL tech you can just play Pikachu BW #115. It one shots it for 3 energy and you get 2 prizes. Looks like a pretty great tech from what I've seen.

alexmf2 said:
Up against Goth? Just go on an Ozone Buster rampage. It would take forever for them to do enough damage to ko RDL once you surprise them with it, as most Goths put so much energy on their active they don't put enough on their benched.

I don't agree with this. I think a lot of good goth players try to build up a benched Goth when they can. They have time, so there's no real harm to it. Because of weakness, Goth can pretty much KO RDL as soon as it is able to attack. Now granted, if you bring out RDL before a benched goth is ready, then you're looking at an autowin for sure, and that might be enough to make it worth running in a reshiboar deck. The big thing is that you have to get it our fast, so you might want to consider a 2-2 RDL, otherwise the setup might take too long. Bear in mind that Tornadus and Cinccino both hit RDL for weakness, and therefore the OHKO. You can wait until the last minute for the drop, but if you whiff an energy, you're probably looking at a two prize loss.

I honestly think Badboar is the better play because you can thicken your Emboar, it can still OHKO goth, and while you only take one prize per KO, Goth can't get the revenge kill without five energy drops. At that point, the opponent may as well scoop. It does mean waiting an extra turn to bring out badboar, but given how slow Goth is, if you run four tepig, getting badboar out shouldn't be that hard. More importantly, it adds a lot of consistency, both because Badboar doesn't need lightning energy to power it, and because you're thickening your tepig and possibly your pignite line, allowing you to get AbilityBoar out much faster.

I agree with you Magnevire. Also a Gothitelle can just use Catcher to bring up RDL and knock it out, because Gothitelle needs only 3 energy to knock it out, or charge another Gothitelle up o the bench and ko RDL for 2 prizes.

I know that. It is just a possibility.

And though it can catch a player by surprise, the good Gothitelle play should have a setup or close to be set up Gothitelle on the bench.

I don't have tons of experience with Reshiboar, but RDL is pretty good in it. Amazing finisher.

If you have to win that turn RDL can easily net you a victory even assuming you have 2 prizes left. RDL is especially great against any Pokemon with 120+ HP, such as Magnezone or Gothitelle.

Note that if you play RDL, watch out for Tornadus, Zoroark, and Cinno - they all one hit you, though they are easily dealt with via. Reshiram. Basically, be extremely careful when dropping it.

As others said, Badboar is another option that requires less room (and keeping one generic energy type).

Actually, bad boar is really bad without DCE. Without it, badboar discards 4 energy, which is bad. Another Tepig is also important because it makes getting out Badboar easier. So it's really a 4-5 card tech.

Touche, touche. Forgot about DCE. Still, it adds the consistency with more Tepigs and has better weakness. I stand by my statement of Badboar > RDL 9-10 times.

Back