Discussion Rayquaza-GX Counters

Trust when I say, Rayquaza-GX will not live up to the hype in a tournament setting, it does hit big numbers but it lacks a lot of consistency right now and is terribly vulnerable to Shrine of Punishment.

Considering it got first and 3rd at melbourne, it definatley does live up to the hype, and it really isn’t that vulnerable to shrine, everything hits 180 easily, and 170-180 isn’t as big of a gap between 190-180.

to answer the first question, there is a dedenne that hits 30+30 if you have an electric pokemon on your bench (PROMO Koko is easily the support) for a DCE. With a band, it hits 90, 180 with weakness, OHKOing Ray.

Shrine and spread decks with 1 prize attackers, weavile and FOL Lele are especially hard on ray, garb decks are good too because ray tends to mill a lot of items.

You'll notice I "Liked" most of the comments in this thread, even the ones that disagree with each other. That is because I believe it offers the fullest picture. As is often the case, some folks have hyped Rayquaza-GX to unbelievable levels. Which is not the same as saying it isn't good, or that it'll fade in short order. Unless Lost Thunder's [Y] support floods the metagame with good [Y] attackers, Rayquaza-GX will be a good to great deck for the next four to six months. Even if Lost Thunder does brnig about its downfall, that's still two months of it being a great deck.

I'm just not 100% convinced it is the new gatekeeper deck where "You must defeat my space dragon to stand a chance." ;)

I think Zoro is a better partner for either of those separately than they are together.

Why do you think this is? I personally don't like zoronette because of its matchup against zoroark variants, which is why I'm trying to make a dack with banette and the weaviles.

I think overall Banette is a good, well-designed card. But Zoroark is a broken card, and Banette is weak to it on top of Zoroark's psychic resistance. Weavile is a good card, but it can be played around, especially for Zoroark. If you have two halves of a deck that can't beat Zoroark, you may as well not even play it in this format.

What I'm trying to get at is that Weavile and Banette are support attackers that are part of a larger concept. Banette is a hard fighting counter with discard recovery, and Weavile is a soft lock ability counter. They need a partner that can reliably take knockouts when it's unfavorable to attack with them, or even have them on the board in Banette's case.

Can someone tell me why Dedenne is a better counter than fairy lele that has the attack for one energy 20x amount of energy attached to opponent? I guess I was thinking of running this in my zoro roc list that can use the unit energy. With one energy and if a ray is fully powered your ohko it with a choice band vs having to have a Koko on bench and dice and choice band on a Dedenne. I guess your not waiting for the ray to be powered up with Dedenne but lele has a little bit more of a chance at surviving multiple turns and can be used in other matchups. What do you all think?

Can someone tell me why Dedenne is a better counter than fairy lele that has the attack for one energy 20x amount of energy attached to opponent? I guess I was thinking of running this in my zoro roc list that can use the unit energy. With one energy and if a ray is fully powered your ohko it with a choice band vs having to have a Koko on bench and dice and choice band on a Dedenne. I guess your not waiting for the ray to be powered up with Dedenne but lele has a little bit more of a chance at surviving multiple turns and can be used in other matchups. What do you all think?

There are a couple of reasons, mostly because it's a bad idea to only play special energy in a deck nowadays, and only playing one sets you updated for trouble. Zororoc also really doesn't have the room for the dedenne combo, unless you want a limited setup. It's actually better in that matchup to knock out any Vikavolt you can, then go for oneshots with sick buzz/Lycanroc/Zoroark damage modifier knockouts.

On top of what @Plaquesanta said, Dedenne ensures a consistent damage output so you can actually hit high numbers on Rayquaza early game, without the Vikavolt to appear and the energy stacking up.

Considering it got first and 3rd at melbourne, it definatley does live up to the hype, and it really isn’t that vulnerable to shrine, everything hits 180 easily, and 170-180 isn’t as big of a gap between 190-180.

to answer the first question, there is a dedenne that hits 30+30 if you have an electric pokemon on your bench (PROMO Koko is easily the support) for a DCE. With a band, it hits 90, 180 with weakness, OHKOing Ray.

That's what you get for trying to use a 100 man SPE tournament in order to gauge a deck man.

Well.. There already is a topic (http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/rayquaza-gx-counters.148178/#post-2961971), but I agree with the above suggestions. But not with the comment of @Phailpoet, I do think it will be one of the top decks (and indeed it already proven itself a little in Melbourne. This weekend is a Regional in Brazil, we'll see..!).

Agree or not, what I've said has held up true. The deck is to inconsistent and just gets dismantled by shrine decks.. In the end though, I'm not here to get you to agree with me, OP said "Rayquaza GX insanity". What I was stating, was again more "blind hype" with people who just expected it to be good inherently.

I just get straight to the point with all of my initial posts, so if you ever want more, just ask the question.. not going to waste time with it unless you really want to delve into my crazy obscured thought process.

That's what you get for trying to use a 100 man SPE tournament in order to gauge a deck man.

Agree or not, what I've said has held up true. The deck is to inconsistent and just gets dismantled by shrine decks.. In the end though, I'm not here to get you to agree with me, OP said "Rayquaza GX insanity". What I was stating, was again more "blind hype" with people who just expected it to be good inherently.

I just get straight to the point with all of my initial posts, so if you ever want more, just ask the question.. not going to waste time with it unless you really want to delve into my crazy obscured thought process.
But it has been doin well. It just took 2nd place at this past weekend’s regional. And it successfully adapated to shrine decks by running 2-3 dhelmise or shining Lugia. The deck is still top tier

If VikaBulu works, then VikaRay works, simple as that. And we know VikaBulu works, so....
I honestly don't know why people don't splash Bulu into their Ray decks. Besides not having an ability for Weavile to punish, it has no weakness while also hitting Lycanroc for a OHKO without needing to detach its its energy, OHKO's opposing Rays and anything else with <180 hp, and hits for 210 with a choice band to knock out Zoroark. It can heal itself with its GX and you can use Max Potion with it since it detaches for big knockouts (though that was more viable when we had Fighting Fury Belt to help wheather the hits).
As for counters, people above me have covered some generics but as someone who mains VikaBulu, the Clefairy from EVO used to be a darn-perfect counter. In the mirror it's a 1hko on Ray and you only lose the 1 prize.

Back