Ruling Rayquaza GX Ability Ruling

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Hello all.

I'd like to get confirmation on Rayquaza GX's Ability, which states the following:

When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may discard the top 3 cards of your deck. Then, attach a basic Energy card from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

The way this ability is worded makes it seem to me that the discard portion of the ability is separate from the Energy attach from discard.

Compare that to the text of Sophocles:

Discard 2 cards from your hand. If you do, draw 4 cards.

Sophocles has a dependancy clause that ties the draw 4 with the discard 2. There is no such thing with Rayquaza GX's ability. It simply seems like a "Do this, then do this as well" effect.

If anyone can confirm or deny this by comparing it to other cards with similar "then" effects, that would be great.

Hi Duo,

The card translation is not an offical translation but the way the ability works is that you have to mill three cards from your deck to attach a Basic Energy from the discard pile to Rayquaza GX. You may choose not to use the ability however.

Hi Duo,

The card translation is not an offical translation but the way the ability works is that you have to mill three cards from your deck to attach a Basic Energy from the discard pile to Rayquaza GX. You may choose not to use the ability however.

So if you were to mill only 1 or 2 cards, you would not be able to attach any energy?

I guess we should wait for an official translation perhaps.

EDIT: Take that back. It doesn't say up to 3, it just says 3 in the current translation we have now.

There is no choice for you to discard 1 or 2 cards because in the wording only one action you "may" do which is "discard 3 cards from the top of your deck".
Therefore if you choose to use the ability, discard 3 cards and you can attach one basic energy card from your discard pile.
Since the ability said you may do the discard action. you also have a choice that is not activating the ability and only put the Rayquaza GX on your bench.

Although there is still no official translation until August, but from the translation by different parties and replays of Rayquaza GX in Japan, it is very likely the final translation of this ability.

Back