Rayquaza EX / Eelektrik

DrunkSpinda said:
Actually I think that Bouffalant/Mewtwo/ZekromBW/Eels is actually more consistent than Rayeels, atm

Ray/Eels doesn't aim to be the most consistent deck out there, it aims to one shot everything by sacrificing an early set up.

I actually played Ray/Eels at Battle Roads this Sunday and ended up winning... well there were only 4 Seniors, but I still went 5-1 against Seniors and Masters combined (the loss was against a friend in round 6 who I scooped to).

My version is very heavy on Keldeo and Float Stone, and also includes Pokemon Center. Since Skyarrow Bridge isn't necessary, Pokemon Center is a better counter Stadium.

Sounds like you had better luck with RayEels than I did cause at States I kept losing against Blastoise/Keldeo, the Mirror, and Lugia EX with a Victini tech against Klinklang/Cobalion EX which saw absolutely no play in my area. Then in a small tournament I almost won against TDK Plasma Toolbox, my opponent opened the game with either a lone Deoxys, Thundurus EX, or Kyurem PLF and I opened the game with Rayquaza with enough energies to 2 or 3HKO with Shred and my opponent managed to get another Pokemon benched just before I was about to donk for game too.

By the time I came close to beating TDK with RayEels, I was screwed over with energy attachment removal via Thundurus EX's Thundurous Noise attack discarding the Fire energy I needed to KO her Thundurus EX with Rayquaza EX's Dragon Burst attack alongside stuff like Crushing Hammer's that my opponent ran at the time. Then in another game against a different opponent I came close to winning except I was stuck running 2 Switch and 2 Float Stone with a Keldeo EX tech that didn't have enough damage output to OHKO my opponent's Landorus EX with Secret Sword which is why I think Keldeo EX is a terrible tech in this format, great ability but terrible attack unless you pair it up with Blastoise and Mewtwo EX due to having Water Energies to help maximize Keldeo EX's damage output.

Mr. Mime isn't bad for RayEels except that it's easily Catchered for a KO just like everything else in this format. Either I'm not playing my RayEels list right or there's something wrong with the way I'm playing my deck, I dunno. Not sure If it was either because I ran Emolga for Call for Family or not, but I remember having a much easier time playing ZekEels with Mewtwo EX and Shaymin UL last format than my current Eels list in this format being RayEels. There were more card choices and options back when the last few HGSS sets were still Modified legal and while there are still alot of choices in this format it seems like Eels don't have as many options now as it did last format especially something better than Keldeo EX that doesn't require Water energies for 120+ damage that's x2 effective on Landorus EX.

Well, if you wind up attacking with Keldeo, you are probably out of the game anyway. Have you tried Victini EX over emolga? I like Victini ex, Zekrom and Mr. Mime as my techs with a standard Skyarrow/Switch retreat system. Seems more reliable to me over Keldeo Float stone. In my opinion, the fact that mr. mime IS good catcher bait is a good thing. Except against Darkrai sableye, making them burn a catcher for a non essential card (like say an eel) is wasting their resources and buying you time to take prizes. Part of why I like Mr. Mime so much (that and he's freaking Mr. Mime).

RayEels is still relatively viable as long as you get yourself set up...fast. Lots of people are recommending the Victini-EX start simply because it gets Energy on the field. You can almost guarantee you'll be hitting for 120 the next turn, (that is, if you at least have a Rayquaza-EX to attach to), so that's kind of nice. None of this awkward Ultra Ball two Energy for an Eelektrik to Dynamotor one onto a Ray has to be done. Boom and boom. Simple. What I find is that it fizzles out too quickly, because you're simply not getting enough Tynamo out as you would with Emolga. I would run a heavy Ball Engine, going at least two Level Ball, or even three. You need to get those Tynamo on the Bench, no questions asked. Sometimes Ultra Ball makes you discard important stuff, and no one likes that. Early game, it can be ugly with an Ultra Ball. So if you Skyla into Level Ball, there's no problem. Sure, it can't get you a Rayquaza-EX, but when you get two/three Eels going, you can drop a Ray whenever you feel like it and start dropping damage counters like it's nobody's business.

Mr. Mime is a weird tech, (but I've never tried it), but it will save you somewhat against TDK. Sure, it's Catcher bait, but it'll stall a turn so you can hopefully avenge the Mime.

I have played this deck over and over and lose; this deck was great in its day, but I seriously have no idea why its at Tier 1.5 or 2 it belongs in Tier 3 due to more than 60% bad hands, getting donked, and not being able to set up on time.

Please discuss Tier placings in the Tier Discussion thread. This is for the main discussion of the strategies of the deck and strengths/weaknesses. This is not the place to argue about Tiers.

I have to disagree with Rayeels being bad. Tropical Beach and Keldeo/float stone help the set up a lot, and such a Rayeels list won Australia Nationals for the master division.

Yeah that explains why I did terrible with RayEels due to no Tropical Beach which is already expensive as it is to get ahold of being a Worlds Invite exclusive promo. Guess Bianca and Colress don't cut it for setup...

I played RayEels without Tropical Beach and I did fine. (Really good actually.) so I do not know what you are saying that this deck is bad it has alot of options (techs) that I love this is a great deck.

jeffreyc96 already explained why RayEels is terrible, but then again it really depends on what popular decks are being played in your meta. As for me I'm just sick and tired of every deck in the format nowadays being nothing but Big Basics, they take up two thirds of the format moreso than Stage 2 decks which have been getting the shaft lately.

jeffreyc96 said:
I have played this deck over and over and lose; this deck was great in its day, but I seriously have no idea why its at Tier 1.5 or 2 it belongs in Tier 3 due to more than 60% bad hands, getting donked, and not being able to set up on time.
I barely ever get donked. And 60% bad hands. N Juniper? It is more like 40% bad hands (maybe even 30%.)

Threads like this probably wont get deleted until after Worlds. That way people still have it as a reference if they are going.

Back