RattataJoey's Future Sight Article 3: Regigigas Ex

R

RattataJoey

Hey guys today I'll be reviewing Regigigas EX.

regigigas-ex.jpg

Regigigas EX – Colorless – HP180
Basic Pokemon

[C][C][C] Giga Power: 60 damage. You may do an additional 20 damage. If you do, this Pokemon also does 20 damage to itself.
[C][C][C][C] Raging Hammer: Does 50 damage plus an additional 10 damage times the number of damage counters on this Pokemon.

Pokemon EX rule: When Pokemon EX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 4

As with all Ex's so far Regigigas EX has huge Hp weighing in at 180Hp, on a basic that's always going to look impressive, Regigigas EX will always be able to take 2 hits in the early game and Eviolite Stone makes Regigigas EX's last-ability even greater by effectively giving Regigigas EX Donphan Primes Pokébody, ironically with Donphan Prime currently being Regigigas EX's biggest threat in the current format being able to hit hard by turn 2 and hitting Regigigas EX for weakness meaning that turn 2 Regigigas EX could be facing 120 damage or 100 damage if Eviolite is equipped either way Regigigas EX is facing a 2 Hit Knock Out.
Of course Regigigas EX's second attack makes for a great counter to that allowing between 150-170 points of damage depending on the situation but the chances of drawing 2 Double Colourless Energy's is quite slim and I wouldn't rely on it too heavily especially since they can setup a Donphan next turn to resume earthquaking and easily finish off Regigigas EX to claim 2 prizes whereas your own recovery won't be as easy even though Regigigas EX is a basic which is easy to search and has the ability to make use of Revive his energy costs put him in a position that his quickest setup time is going to be 2 turns and where you can say the same about Donphan his time is spent waiting to evolve which currently has no effective way of being stopped ( I know Archeops is due for release but the fossil mechanic just makes him unreliable).
Where as at the moment we have a good handful of cards that can discard energy attached to a Pokémon namely Crushing Hammer, Lost Remover and the Emerging Powers Krookodile any of these 3 cards can set a Regigigas EX player back a turn which gives your opponent time to pull ahead with there setup.

The big question is, How do we run Regigigas EX? I feel that the best way to run it would be to make the most of his huge Hp and so it would be best to find a healing engine that he can use and for the sake of numbers I'll use Donphan Prime as the opposing attacker as I've already covered the fact that he can deliver substantial and consistent damage and it wouldn't be a surprising occurrence to see a Donphan in the opposing active position.
So what types of healing do we have? Mostly we seem to have 2 types of healing Trainer and Pokémon, the Trainer healing cards we have at the moment are Potion, Moo Moo Milk and Max Potion.

100-potion.gif
moo-moo-milk.gif
94-max-potion.gif

For the sake of argument I'll say that Moo Moo Milk is effectively the same as Potion with an even
split between doing twice as much or doing nothing and speculation into the effects a 25% chance just seem like a foolish idea when most people won't play a card when it works 50% of the time. So the first healer we shall look at is Potion which heals 30 damage from 1 of your Pokémon so let us check the numbers when using potion to heal
Start Attack1 Potion Attack 2
Without Eviolite:
180Hp 60Hp 90HP -30Hp
With Eviolite
180Hp 80Hp 110Hp 10Hp

As we can see using Potion Regigigas EX needs to have Eviolite attached for attack 1 or Potion won't heal enough for Regigigas EX to survive attack 2 and to be honest its never a good idea to be relying on having a specific setup especially when it will only guarantee you 1 more turn and you'll be giving up 2 prizes, this leaves us with Max Potion a card can guarantee 2 more hits with or without Eviolite but he can't attack because Max potion requires Regigigas EX to discard his energy's leaving the choice in a stalemate situation between concede 2 prizes and have a chance at taking 1 or miss my attack this turn and try again next turn, 1 way around the stalemate is to use Reuniclus from Black/White.

57-reuniclus.jpg

A lot of people are starting to experiment with Reunilcus after the success it had in google Cawthon's worlds deck, with Reuniclus in play it would be easy to move the damage from the active Regigigas EX to a benched 1 and then healing the Regigigas EX with no energy attached this would also leave you with the ability to control the output of Raging Hammer while still being able to avoid knockouts, but the Reuniclus build does have its drawbacks most prominently Catcher can be used to bring active Reuniclus or the benched Regigigas EX which can be an easy 2 prizes for your opponent if you didn't manage to use Max Potion last turn of course an easy solution to this is to run the Reuniclus build with Vleplume and lock out any chance of catcher being using to claim easy prizes, of course with this build Max Potion is a none option as well and the closest equivalent would be to use Seeker which would allow you to refresh your benched Regigigas EX but uses your supporter for the turn, a plus to this is the fact that Seeker will also force your opponent to pick up 1 of there benched Pokémon making clearing the field slightly easier.

So which build is best? Personally I'd say it all comes down to the individuals preferred play-style without Trainer lock Regigigas EX will be a lot faster but if you include Trainer lock the deck is bound to be to be much more secure while slowing your opponent down.

Will Regigigas EX affect the format? Personally I don't see him having a huge influence over the game this season while we've got popular hitter like Donphan around but there is a possibility that next format Regigigas EX maybe be a powerful play especially as the Black/White format hasn't shown us any Fighting types that can hit heavily for minimal energy.

In closing I'd Like to say that Regigigas EX has the potential to actually see play and maybe with the right player using the right build might be able to win a few low level tournaments such as Battle Roads.

So whats your view on Regigigas EX? Do you think he stands a chance? and how would you play him?

Signing off for now
Rattata Joey

I don't think it's that great.. The weakness really hurts it. and 4 colorless to do it's "outrage" attack... And if you team up Regigigas with Reuniclus, your Reuniclus will be catcher bait since you don't have trainer lock in the deck. I don't think this EX will have as much play as ones like Mewtwo where there are a lot of cards coming out that can help it out soo much. I'd give this card 2/5...

Vileplume says hi. Weakness doesn't hurt it much either, with the proper support Donphan is no where near a loss for Gigas. Criticing the article itself, the first paragraph being 1 really long sentence made it a pain to read. Anyway, there is a lot of discussion of him on the front page article and its been established it has a lot of potential.

Please break up some of your walls of text, it's very difficult to read.

Sleeping Snorlax said:
I don't think it's that great.. The weakness really hurts it. and 4 colorless to do it's "outrage" attack... And if you team up Regigigas with Reuniclus, your Reuniclus will be catcher bait since you don't have trainer lock in the deck. I don't think this EX will have as much play as ones like Mewtwo where there are a lot of cards coming out that can help it out soo much. I'd give this card 2/5...

He mentions a trainer lock variant if you actually read the article instead of just skimming it

Dark Void said:
Vileplume says hi. Weakness doesn't hurt it much either, with the proper support Donphan is no where near a loss for Gigas. Criticing the article itself, the first paragraph being 1 really long sentence made it a pain to read. Anyway, there is a lot of discussion of him on the front page article and its been established it has a lot of potential.

Sorry about that I'm guessing its because I didn't break down the overview of the card this time round.

Also when putting together notes for my articles I try to avoid reading about the card online so that the opinion I give is actually mine and not something I've parroted from somewhere else. You guys deserve to be given articles that are thought through and not just copy pasted.

Know how to use periods.

Of course Regigigas EX's second attack makes for a great counter to that allowing between 150-170 points of damage depending on the situation but the chances of drawing 2 Double Colourless Energy's is quite slim and I wouldn't rely on it too heavily especially since they can setup a Donphan next turn to resume earthquaking and easily finish off Regigigas EX to claim 2 prizes whereas your own recovery won't be as easy even though Regigigas EX is a basic which is easy to search and has the ability to make use of Revive his energy costs put him in a position that his quickest setup time is going to be 2 turns and where you can say the same about Donphan his time is spent waiting to evolve which currently has no effective way of being stopped ( I know Archeops is due for release but the fossil mechanic just makes him unreliable).

This is all just one sentence, and it's a "paragraph". Most of the other paragraphs are just like the one above, and the ones that aren't just one sentence have only two sentences per paragraph. Split up separate ideas because sometimes using short sentences can sound forceful if you're trying to make a strong point, a good tip is to read a sentence out loud and if you run out of breath, which you would in the above paragraph, you'll know it's too long, or even try it out on this sentence, it's just a giant run-on of different points I'm trying to make that can otherwise be broken up into different sentences.

A lot of people are starting to experiment with Reunilcus after the success it had in google Cawthon's worlds deck, with Reuniclus in play it would be easy to move the damage from the active Regigigas EX to a benched 1 and then healing the Regigigas EX with no energy attached this would also leave you with the ability to control the output of Raging Hammer while still being able to avoid knockouts, but the Reuniclus build does have its drawbacks most prominently Catcher can be used to bring active Reuniclus or the benched Regigigas EX which can be an easy 2 prizes for your opponent if you didn't manage to use Max Potion last turn of course an easy solution to this is to run the Reuniclus build with Vleplume and lock out any chance of catcher being using to claim easy prizes, of course with this build Max Potion is a none option as well and the closest equivalent would be to use Seeker which would allow you to refresh your benched Regigigas EX but uses your supporter for the turn, a plus to this is the fact that Seeker will also force your opponent to pick up 1 of there benched Pokémon making clearing the field slightly easier.

Also know how to use commas. This is just one sentence with like two commas there's no pause you're just talking and talking it sounds like you're an automated voice recorder so if you are going make a longer sentence you should break them up into commas.

Also, why would you run Max Potion? You're trying to conserve your DCE, not discard them. Also, keep the damage stacked so you can hit hard.

Tyraniking said:
Also, why would you run Max Potion? You're trying to conserve your DCE, not discard them. Also, keep the damage stacked so you can hit hard.

Move damage from Regigigas to Reuniclus, Max Potion it off of Reuniclus. Blissey works similarly, its all situational.

Tyraniking said:

Firstly read the comment above mine and then the article he covers Max Potions flaws and how to counter them, even mentioning the idea of Benching a second gigas place the damage on so it can all be healed.

As for stacking the damage have fun with that you'll get 1 Hammer out maybe claim a prize then your opponent claims 2, if it didn't have the EX rule then you'd be fine but your way of playing it would just resort in you falling behind in the prize exchange

ESP said:
Move damage from Regigigas to Reuniclus, Max Potion it off of Reuniclus. Blissey works similarly, its all situational.

Derp, guess I didn't notice, but why not just attack the Reuniclus? If Vileplume is your answer, good luck getting that set up in a Catcher format with lots of Yanmega.

I guess he can't really tank with stacking the damage, you're right, but it can be useful for taking out other EXs.
The Pain said:
Firstly read the comment above mine and then the article he covers Max Potions flaws and how to counter them, even mentioning the idea of Benching a second gigas place the damage on so it can all be healed.

As for stacking the damage have fun with that you'll get 1 Hammer out maybe claim a prize then your opponent claims 2, if it didn't have the EX rule then you'd be fine but your way of playing it would just resort in you falling behind in the prize exchange

Wall of text /=/ run on sentences. Walls of text would be if that entire article wasn't spaced out by paragraphs.

Tyraniking said:
Derp, guess I didn't notice, but why not just attack the Reuniclus? If Vileplume is your answer, good luck getting that set up in a Catcher format with lots of Yanmega.

google ran Vileplume and Reuniclus and set them up just fine in worlds, which did have a large showing of yanmega. Collector for 2 solosis and oddish, opponent snipes one, so you twins for Rare Candy and the stage 2.

You're forgetting that it's a whole new format once Gigas comes out.

We get this:

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/bw3/psycho-drive/thumbnails/015.gif

And this:

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/bw3/hail-blizzard/thumbnails/014.gif

And this:

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/bw3/hail-blizzard/thumbnails/057.gif

And this:

http://pokebeach.com/scans/emerging-powers/thumbnails/95-pokemon-catcher.gif

With a faster format altogether. Now I hate to use theorymon, claiming that all the above will stop the combo, but you can't deny the fact that this is super slow. Relying on Double Colorless to attack every time will be really hard to pull off.

Point is, I don't think Gigas will really work.

I don't see what any of the three do to the combo, Kyogre and the first Chandelure only do spread damage and it will take them eons to KO a Gigas EX. The last Chandelure just isn't very good and can't deal much damage, and catcher is a dead draw against vileplume. Also, you don't need only DCE to use the attacks. 1 dce and 1 or 2 non-DCE and you can use his attacks. Because of the EX rule, you'd run out of Gigas's before you run out of DCE's anyway. Honestly, the only thing that I think will be a reliable counter to Gigas decks will be Machamp ones. They would have to be very consistent and seeing as how Xatu OHKOs a fully-powered Champ for 1 Psychic and Mewtwo EX KOs one with a DCE/2 energy with only 1 energy on the Champ, Machamp is perfectly counterable.

It's not for the combo, it's for the metagame. Those could all be a huge part of the new metagame. Oh, and Machamp won't work. You should be looking at Groudon EX.

Other than catcher, none of those cards will be very good imo. Even if they are, they are all easy matchups for gigas so it doesn't matter much. Groudon could be a threat, but it can't KO Gigas unless Gigas has damage on it, and Reuniclus+Vileplume or Meganium+Max Potion can prevent that. Regardless, I'm not sure Groudon EX will be played much because Catcher+Cyrogonal=140 damage on Groudon EX, leaving it at 40 hp, and it gives up 2 prizes. With 2 PlusPower Cyrogonal can even OHKO Groudon EX and Groudon's huge retreat will hurt it too. I'm not doubting that it is good against Gigas but all 3 gigas variants can beat it.

Could be interesting for an opener to decks running a twins engine. Take a prize with Gigas, they take two next turn, meaning you can still get a T2 KO and a head start on prizes without giving up a T2 Twins. Just a thought.

I think gigas could use the pachi-shaymin combo to work as a bulkier,more powerful zekrom. It could pull of a donk with T1 80, and it is more donphan and reshiram resistant than zekrom. ZPS will be more popular with the release of evolite, but gigas could be used better in the new format.

True he could use the engine especially if you open with a dce, then you don't have to worry about the second {L} energy

Back