• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Rats Nest (Raticate BREAK / Ariados / Machamp EX)

Jacob Librizzi

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon: 17
  • 3 Rattata
  • 3 Raticate
  • 3 Raticate BREAK
  • 2 Shaymin EX
  • 2 Machamp EX
  • 2 Spinarak
  • 2 Ariados
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 32
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Judge
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observation
  • 2 Wally
  • 1 Winona
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 3 Hard Charm
  • 1 Muscle Band
Energy: 11
  • 2 Strong Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 5 Fighting Energy
Strategy:

First time posting here. Bottom line of this deck is to get Raticate set up with Ariados benched and score OHKOs on whoever you'd like. Machamp is a secondary attacker who can also benefit from the poison, as his second attack deals double the damage when inflicted with a condition. Let me know what you guys think. "One of's'' are cards there could be multiples of, still undergoing testing.

Not too familiar with this deck but what is the inclusion of 3 hard charms for? It seems like Raticate will get ohko'd with or without them too often to make them useful enough to run 3. Or am I missing something?

Hard Charm doesn't stop bat damage, though - it decreases the damage from attacks by 20, not abilities. Since Raticate's so frail that it's easily OHKO'd by any offensive deck with or without the Hard Charms, you'd be better served trying to find an alternate use for those slots.

Fighting fury belts and assault vest are the better alternatives. The belts make at least rattata have more vitality and help out machamp-ex as well. I don't think there is a truly good tool for raticate break.

That looks like way too little draw supporters for my taste. I'd take out the tools (since they dont add much to the deck imo) and use those slots to add Professor Sycamore and maybe up the count on Birch/Judge.

Also, not exactly sure on the effectiveness of this, but have you tested with Brigette? Might help with getting out Rattata/Spinarak.

I actually working on a deck similar to this and I say try squeezing in a hawlucha or two or even an landorus to help that machamp EX

I would drop the tools and add in another raticate evolution chain. More lysandres as well. So hopefully you can take 2 prizes, for everyone 1 prize they take.

or try for pokemon catchers, and more wally.

I think power in numbers is your best bet here.

and since its an evolution chain, it might not hurt to look into robo substitutes? Would work nicely with rattatas attack and buy you time to set up your raticates.

I would also go with sacred ash over super rod.

oh and in a deck so sure to get ko's i think teammates or ace trainers would be essential.

Dont forget stadiums! theres alot of stadiums that could benefit this deck alot! Silent lab/scorched earth/faded town(in case ariados kicks the bucket)/forest of giant plants

e/ forgot about raticates ability

Last edited:
Going to edit the list and I'll let you guys and gals have at it again. Thank you all for the input! This is a very fun deck once set up. Get a lot of forfeits online once it's set up

Just an idea here... Have you played around with a line of 4-3-3 at all? I know that everyone is discussing how to make the rattata more bulky, but a 4-3-3 line could be interesting. Again, I haven't tested this yet, but it might be worth considering for any players of this deck.

Pokémon: 17
  • 3 Rattata
  • 3 Raticate
  • 3 Raticate BREAK
  • 2 Shaymin EX
  • 2 Machamp EX
  • 2 Spinarak
  • 2 Ariados
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Judge
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Wally
  • 1 Winona
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 3 Hard Charm
  • 1 Muscle Band
Energy: 11
  • 2 Strong Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 5 Fighting Energy
I've run Machamp-Ariados for a while now, following are some comments for your consideration:

First of all, you've listed only 28 Trainers, not 32; so, that's good news: extra slots to fill.

Ideally speaking, you want to start with a Machamp EX since any damage received can be eventually used against the Defending Pokémon via Machamp EX's Steaming Mad attack. However, the effect of this attack imposes a state of Confusion upon Machamp EX. Good news: the Heavy Boots Tools would remove that Condition in addition to boosting Machamp EX's HP by +20 too.

You have 9 Basic Pokémon; only 5 of which can be searched and selected with Level Ball. You also have another 5 Stage 1 Pokémon (Ariados and Raticate) that can be searched and selected with Level Ball. The remaining 7 Pokémon can only be searched and selected with Ultra Balls. Currently, you only have 2 Level Ball and 4 Ultra Ball; this seems unbalanced given the HP "type" (i.e., Level Ball searchable vs. Ultra Ball searchable) distribution of your Pokémon. In addition, the the 4 Ultra Balls will help "thin-out" your deck, but may not help you setup any faster since you also have to discard 2 cards per Ultra Ball use, as well.

There are only 2 card-draw Supporters currently in your deck. This count is too low, despite your 2 Shaymin EXs (whose Setup Ability can be nullified).

Following are some suggested deck changes for improvement, IMO, for your consideration:

-1 Battle Compressor - not really needed
-2 Trainer's Mail - 2 should be sufficient with improved card-draw capability
-1 Ultra Ball - 3 should be sufficient
-2 Wally - not really needed since, for example, chances are a same-turn evolution will not typically lead to any significant advantage
-3 Hard Charm - not really needed
-1 Muscle Band - not really needed

+1 Rattata
+1 Machamp EX
+2 Level Ball - facilitates getting all of your Rattata, Raticate, Spinarak and Ariados out faster
+3 Heavy Boots
+1 Judge - more card-draw support and hand disruption
+2 Profesor Birch's Observations - more card-draw support
+3 Professor Sycamore - more card-draw support
+1 Teammates - very helpful given such low HP of most of your Pokémon
+1 Winona

I hope you find these comments helpful.

I run x4 sycamore that's what I was missing. Knew something wasn't adding up. I've tweaked the list and will post it later tonight

• 4 Level Ball
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Brigette
  • 1 Judge
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 4 Sycamore
  • 1 Teammates
  • 2 Mountain Ring
  • 3 Assault Vest
  • 1 Float Stone

Updated, pokemon and energy distribution the same

• 4 Level Ball
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Brigette
  • 1 Judge
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 4 Sycamore
  • 1 Teammates
  • 2 Mountain Ring
  • 3 Assault Vest
  • 1 Float Stone

Updated, pokemon and energy distribution the same

If you could make sure the list in the original post is up to date, that would be great. Thanks!

Back