Ruling Rare Candy + Unidentified Fossil?

VuDu-JuJu

Intergalactic Trainer/Hitchhiker
The title is sorta self-explanatory. Is it possible to use Rare Candy to put a stage 2 onto Unidentified Fossil?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
From the Compendium:

http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html said:
Q. Can you use Rare Candy to evolve a Mysterious Fossil into an Omastar or Kabutops, or use it on a Root/Claw Fossil to evolve into Cradily/Armaldo?
A. It can. It counts as a basic Pokémon while in play. Omastar, Kabutops, Cradily, and Armaldo are Stage 2 Pokémon; you could use Rare Candy on the Fossil trainer to skip to them. (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Can you point me to this compendium? I'm also curious about whether you can play UF as a basic while setting up to play, and if it counts as a basic Pokemon when deck-building.
http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html (It's in my quote above)

You cannot play it as a basic during setup, no. I'm not sure what you mean by the second question, it can't be your starting Pokémon so you must have at least one other basic Pokémon in the deck as a consequence of that, though.

Q. Can I choose to play Unidentified Fossil as one of my starting Pokemon?
A. No, you cannot. It's considered a Trainer while in your hand, so it doesn't count as a Basic Pokemon during setup. (Feb 8, 2018 TPCi Rules Team)

VuDu-JuJu

http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html (It's in my quote above)

You cannot play it as a basic during setup, no. I'm not sure what you mean by the second question, it can't be your starting Pokémon so you must have at least one other basic Pokémon in the deck as a consequence of that, though.
My apologies, on my screen I can't see the link in your first response and didn't realize you posted it. You did answer my other 2 questions though, thank you (you interpreted my second question correctly).

VuDu-JuJu

I wasn't sure if the "Treat this card as a basic Pokemon" clause made it count as a Pokemon when not in play, so thanks. I'm used to Yu-Gi-Oh where you have to take card text super literally.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I wasn't sure if the "Treat this card as a basic Pokemon" clause made it count as a Pokemon when not in play, so thanks. I'm used to Yu-Gi-Oh where you have to take card text super literally.

You young'uns don't know how well ya have it! When I played Yu-Gi-Oh, we had to hope and pray the effects were something at least resembling the card text, until Edo Hrzic uploaded translations and clarifications of Japanese rulings! [insert other vaguely cranky old man sounding speech and anecdotes!/]

VuDu-JuJu

You young'uns don't know how well ya have it! When I played Yu-Gi-Oh, we had to hope and pray the effects were something at least resembling the card text, until Edo Hrzic uploaded translations and clarifications of Japanese rulings! [insert other vaguely cranky old man sounding speech and anecdotes!/]
Lol, I played Yu-Gi-Oh at it's beginning up til the GX era, then came back around the Zexal era and quit again when they introduced Links

Otaku

The wise fool?
Lol, I played Yu-Gi-Oh at it's beginning up til the GX era, then came back around the Zexal era and quit again when they introduced Links

I began playing with its introduction to North America, specifically the original Yugi and Kaiba Starter Decks... both of which I bought in triplicate to make ye olde Summoned Skull beatdown deck, to pwn the children who dared to play a children's card game! Unfortunately, "for fun" I still made a BEWD-based deck and... won with that as well. Turns out most kids are really bad at children's card games... *coughwhencomparedtoanadultcough*

Kidding aside, I had to give it up in 2009. I've tried to get back into it at different times, but Yu-Gi-Oh's flaws are similar to Pokémon's, but taken to the extreme. The core gameplay could work if the designers remember that in terms of what it costs to actually play them, Monsters are the most expensive, then Traps, then Spells, so that should be the pecking order e.g. if a Normal Spell can easily kill a Monster, you're doing it wrong. Or, if a Monster Special Summons itself and has an instantly utilized beneficial effect, it is better to think of it as a Spell with a body attached to it, and not a Monster with a Spell-like effect (for balance purposes, not actual card stats).

Anyway... the relevance of all of that to the discussion is that I am familiar with old school (at least for North America) Yu-Gi-Oh, and while my previous comment was a joke, it was to underscore that Pokémon is pretty good for rulings, given that this is ultimately a Japanese TCG. Team Compendium, the folks behind the Rulings Compendium, have been collecting official rulings for almost as long as there has been a Pokémon TCG. Some (all?) of their members are also part of the current Rules Team for TPCi, so their website is even authorized to give out official rulings. Though those rulings are subject to change if Japan says "Wait, no... we meant for it to work this way, not that way!".

VuDu-JuJu

I began playing with its introduction to North America, specifically the original Yugi and Kaiba Starter Decks... both of which I bought in triplicate to make ye olde Summoned Skull beatdown deck, to pwn the children who dared to play a children's card game! Unfortunately, "for fun" I still made a BEWD-based deck and... won with that as well. Turns out most kids are really bad at children's card games... *coughwhencomparedtoanadultcough*

Kidding aside, I had to give it up in 2009. I've tried to get back into it at different times, but Yu-Gi-Oh's flaws are similar to Pokémon's, but taken to the extreme. The core gameplay could work if the designers remember that in terms of what it costs to actually play them, Monsters are the most expensive, then Traps, then Spells, so that should be the pecking order e.g. if a Normal Spell can easily kill a Monster, you're doing it wrong. Or, if a Monster Special Summons itself and has an instantly utilized beneficial effect, it is better to think of it as a Spell with a body attached to it, and not a Monster with a Spell-like effect (for balance purposes, not actual card stats).

Anyway... the relevance of all of that to the discussion is that I am familiar with old school (at least for North America) Yu-Gi-Oh, and while my previous comment was a joke, it was to underscore that Pokémon is pretty good for rulings, given that this is ultimately a Japanese TCG. Team Compendium, the folks behind the Rulings Compendium, have been collecting official rulings for almost as long as there has been a Pokémon TCG. Some (all?) of their members are also part of the current Rules Team for TPCi, so their website is even authorized to give out official rulings. Though those rulings are subject to change if Japan says "Wait, no... we meant for it to work this way, not that way!".
I could tell you were joking it's good mate lol. I started in that era too, and when I got back into it and finally learned the PSCT changes, I'd go and read rulings from Japanese tournaments and slap my palm in my face because of how obvious some of the answers were. Then again, they've also said some cards with this certain text do it one way and another card with that text can work another way....so yeah I'm a bit glad Pokemon isn't as literal (When I first started playing a VikaBulu deck I thought you could only use Vika if you had both energies in your deck, ala how yugioh would have ruled it lol)

Otaku

The wise fool?
@VuDu-JuJu Heh, yeah. With Pokémon, you do as much as you can, and so long as you can do something you get to play the card. It only gets a bit wonky because exactly what is a cost and what is an effect isn't always clear. For example, sometimes "up to" includes "zero" and sometimes it doesn't.

VuDu-JuJu

@VuDu-JuJu Heh, yeah. With Pokémon, you do as much as you can, and so long as you can do something you get to play the card. It only gets a bit wonky because exactly what is a cost and what is an effect isn't always clear. For example, sometimes "up to" includes "zero" and sometimes it doesn't.
It almost completely blew my mind when I learned you could play Ultra Ball and not search a Pokemon, or that you could play Sycamore when it's the only card in your hand.