Random Receiver, a VS Seeker Alternative?

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
XY10_EN_109.png is a XY6_EN_110.png alternative?

Hi, guys. This thread talks about the potential of Random Receiver as a replacement for VS Seeker, if it is not reprinted in Sun&Moon. VS Seeker is the one of the mid-expensive Trainer Card of this meta, due to its playablity. It retrieves a Supporter Card straight to your hand. Many people, including myself are depending to this card. It is always present in every deck. What I am worrying is, we didn't see a VS Seeker revealed from SM1 as of now. This card is "On the Brink" right now, meaning that next year, VS Seeker, Trainers' Mail, Shaymin-EX, Lysandre, and some impactouos card will be rotated. I am so worried so much. What I am potentially be a replacement for that is Random Receiver. I think all of you reading this one know that this card is sought potential in Expanded before. But in this VS Seeker dependent meta, will this be a substitute for the VS Seeker? For those who didn't know about Random Receiver, this searches an immediate Supporter Card from your deck.
What do you think?

Last edited:
I don't think Random Receiver is a good replacement. They retrieve Supporters from an entirely different pool of cards - one from the discard, the other from your deck. You also get to choose with VS Seeker, whereas Random Reciever is pretty much random. Leading off from that, you can effectively "stock up" Supporters in your discard pile so you can use a versatile range in a pinch. Random Reciever doesn't have this versatility.

Random Reciever was seldom used competitively prior to VS Seeker's XY print, if I recall correctly, so I don't imagine Random Reciever being used again. It only got used in specific "cancer" deck engines, that used only Professor Sycamore, in conjunction with VS Seeker, and were intended to speed through your deck as quickly as possible.

I don't think its a good replacement. For one thing, VS Seekers aren't that expensive and as said above, they pull cards from two different sources. With Random Receiver, you have to completely rebuild your Supporter engine since you'll want something along the lines of draw support only. Its best to look at them in terms of what can they do for you. If these cards are to be rotated from the format, then Random Receiver is the only option but we had a format like this before and people pretty much used only draw supporters exclusively. Right now, there isn't any reason to use Random Receiver over VS Seeker.

We don't know what the future might bring but currently random receiver is awful due to its unpredictability because everyone is playing so many one-of supporters.

Yes, this feels like something that will be reprinted. But even if it's not, don't worry, take a deep breath, and remember/ realize that nobody else will be able to use it either. Plus, think about it: we throw vs seekers out all the time with ultra balls and sycamores. Losing vs seeker isn't going to wreck the game. Just like losing shaymin and lysandre won't be the end of tcg either. We'll adapt and change, just like the last rotation. It's good for you, keeps your brain working in different ways. That's just the way life works, things are always changing.

Yes, this feels like something that will be reprinted. But even if it's not, don't worry, take a deep breath, and remember/ realize that nobody else will be able to use it either. Plus, think about it: we throw vs seekers out all the time with ultra balls and sycamores. Losing vs seeker isn't going to wreck the game. Just like losing shaymin and lysandre won't be the end of tcg either. We'll adapt and change, just like the last rotation. It's good for you, keeps your brain working in different ways. That's just the way life works, things are always changing.

To be honest with you, I've been ready for dark decks to leave the game for a while now. Seems like we've have nothing new for years. Just keep hitting each other with big sticks and rocks.

Hi, guys. This thread talks about the potential of Random Receiver as a replacement for VS Seeker, if it is not reprinted in Sun&Moon.

Not trying to rake you over the coals, but it is way too early to worry about such a thing. If we want to discuss it for funsies, sure, but odds are next year the set rotation will happen September 1st, after the World Championships have wrapped up. We don't know what the card pool will be, let alone the actual metagame, and as others have stated it is possible we'll see a reprint of it before then. Now if we don't get a surprise late XY: Black Star Promo of it, then yeah next year's rotation is almost guaranteed to axe it from Standard play, as the most recent VS Seeker printing is from XY: Roaring Skies.

I think all of you reading this one know that this card is sought potential in Expanded before. But in this VS Seeker dependent meta, will this be a substitute for the VS Seeker? For those who didn't know about Random Receiver, this searches an immediate Supporter Card from your deck.
What do you think?

Random Receiver is not VS Seeker; even if Random Receiver proves worth running once VS Seeker leaves Standard play, you'll still have to build your deck in a totally different manner. As you mention, Random Receiver has been a good card before, specifically at a time when decks were running few different Supporters; not few Supporter cards but running high counts (3 or 4) of just a few (no more than three) major search/draw Supporters. Not unlike now, even though a deck might run 12-16 Supporters, it didn't actually need to use that many most matches; instead the extras were there because missing your Supporter usage for the turn usually hurt you badly, especially early game. As such, a deck that needed 12 draw supporters could instead run four Random Receiver and just eight draw Supporters. Some of the fastest decks during the BW-era would run four Professor Juniper and four Random Receiver.

VS Seeker on the other hand tends to thrive based upon variety in Supporters, and gives you an additional usage of them. The area where they do see a little overlap is in the Legacy Format of the PTCGO. Legacy is the HS-era releases (plus Call of Legends) and BW-era releases, so VS Seeker is not legal but Junk Arm is: a Random Receiver in your discard means if you need to (and have the discard fodder), Junk Arm becomes an out to a Supporter. It helps that most of the time, the bulk of your Supporters are Professor Juniper, Professor Oak's New Theory, and/or N. While all are different usually two out of those three will do the job.

Back