Randolph, NJ League Challenge 11/30/13

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...
Ok so I was coming off a seriously bad showing at a different league challenge a week ago, which my younger brother won. I ran Virizion/Mewtwo and I didnt think the deck was a bad choice I just feel like I had run into some bad luck. So I decided to stick with the deck for this league challenge with a few small tweaks.

Round 1 vs Plasma (Jimmy)

I was half happy and half sad because I knew the match was heavily in my favor but I got paired with one of my friends in the first round. We begin the game and I get an explosive start. Fully setting up Virizion and charging up benched attackers. His start was lackluster just barely being able to get one frost spear off with Kyurem and I ran through his field.

1-0

Round 2 vs Darkrai

My brother plays Darkrai and I'm very comfortable with the match up, so I was happy to see a Darkrai get flipped, little did I know how hard this match would be. I start Genesect, ultra ball Virizion, attach a grass and pass. He lays down a Sableye plays a Crushing Hammer, heads. This happens twice more and I just cant get set up but he's having a pretty slow set up himself. Finally he gets a tails on the crushing and I start to swing with Verizion. He sets up a Darkrai in one turn after a Juniper and returns the hit.

We trade blows for a bit till I have one prize left and he has two. I had a Mewtwo with DCE active one turn away from being knocked out by his set up Absol with 2 dmg on it. My Mewtwo only swung for 60 so I needed an energy or a laser for the win and my only out was to N myself to one. I played the N, drew my card... and laser for game! A tough win for sure.

2-0

Round 3 vs Darkrai (Noel)

At this point there were only 4 2-0's and one of them was my friend Noel and of course I have to get paired up against another homie. It really sucked because if we had won this round separately we would have seen each other in the 4th round, intentionally tied and guaranteed our spots in top 4 but sadly that plan didnt work out and we had to battle.

There isn't a lot to say about this game, he stifled my set up a bit with a crushing hammer but didnt get an energy attachment. After that it was all downhill for him. I set up a virizion and swung on his only darkrai to rid his field of energy. He kept digging with Junipers, never got what he needed and scooped.

3-0

Round 4 vs Dakrai

I was feeling pretty confident by this point. He flipped up Darkrai and it was another tale of not getting everything he needed and me getting set up fast. But he picked up the pace late game and caught up quick. He N'd me a lot and messed up my chances to game him a few times. I kept having to switch pokemon to take 60 dmg hits from his Absol. Which had 20 dmg on it. Finally all my pokemon were in 1 hit ko range of his absol and the situation was a lot like round 2. I had active Genesect with 1 grass on it and a benched Mewtwo. I had 1 grass in hand and I needed a Junpier to dig for the DCE and laser. I top deck the Juniper, play it, and pull out the DCE and laser for game!

4-0

Round 5 vs Darkrai

A fourth Dakrai deck! I asked him before hand if he wanted to draw which would automatically give me the win and guarantee him top 4 but he said he wanted to play it out. One look at his starting hand and he was singing a different song. He asked if we could still draw and I obliged, although I probably shoudlnt have.

We decide to play it out even thought we are gonna draw. I attach a grass to my active virizion, then he colresses to one with a hand full of dark patches and a lone active Sableye. My turn comes I play Virbank, then Junpier into a DCE and laser for the donk.

4-0-1 (technically 5-0 lol)

I finally got a win! Shout out to Peter who got 2nd place with Aggron and Noel who still got 4th place. Cant wait for the next one :)

basedloke said:
I heard the guy in the first match up was salty after his defeat

Lol You were the saltiest Jimmy.

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Congrats on the tournament win, I look forward to future reports from you. ;)

Thanks a lot Alexander

Back