Randolph, NJ League Challenge 11/16/13

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...
This was my second tournament at this level, the first being one of the last BRs in May. I took 5th place with Plasma and a 5-1 record at that tourney. So I felt the pressure to do good at this event as well.

For about a month before this league challenge I was testing straight Dakrai, which I had planned to bring to Pennsylvania regionals, but I wasn't able to make it due to financial issues. A week ago I played the deck at a box tournament with some of my friends (shout out to Jimmy, James, and Peter). I didn't do so well because of a massive streak of bad luck in which I flipped tails for every crushing hammer (except 1) and most of my Catchers.

This discouraged me from the deck. I didn't want to leave whether or not I won a game up to coin flips. So I decided to pull together a Virizion/Mewtwo deck. It got a significant amount of hype and I was willing to test it out. After a few games on PlayTCG I fell in love. I was sure this was the deck I wanted to bring to the league challenge.

Sorry for the long intro, just wanted to give a little background and show why I chose the deck. Anyway the tournament was run in traditional Battle Roads format, best of 1, 30 mins +3 turns, sudden death no ties. Finally my tournament report:

Round 1 vs Chandelure EX/Ninetails

I was shocked when my opponent flipped over Chandelure EX. I had to read the card multiple times lol. I started lone Mewtwo going first. I Skyla for ultra ball to get Virizion and attach DCE to Mewtwo. He plops down 2 Vulpix and starts spreading damage with Chandelure. Two turns in he has 3 energy on a fresh active Chandelure for the KO on my Mewtwo and I bring up my fully charged Virizion I lay down another Mewtwo and begin charging it. He plays Scoop Up Cyclone on the active Cahndelure and brings up another freash one to start spreading damage.

At this point I was wondering how I was going to take my first loss to this deck. But I did the only thing I could and kept powering up Mewtwo. Then I get the Scramble Switch to bring up a 70 dmg Mewtwo with 8 energy on it to ko the Chandelure. He couldn't keep up with Mewtwo's OHKOs and the win was mine.

1-0

Round 2 vs Plasma

My opponent was either a fairly new player or at least new to the deck. I charged two Mewtwos with Virizion and poison got the better of her Thundurus. She could have easily prepared a Deoxys or two to deal with my Mewtwos but instead she went for Kyurems and after I got rid of them it was all downhill.

2-0

Round 3 vs Virizion/Gensect (my new friend George)

3 of the 5 of us that came together were 2-0 so we were pretty sure 2 of us would be facing each other this round and sadly thats what happened. We shook hands and began the game. He Colressed for 3 into no supporters. 3 turns in I start using Megalo Cannon on everything picking up 5 prizes in 6 turns. He lacked any supporters the entire game but he pulled enough cards together to bring up a fresh Genesect with G booster. He cactches 2 OHKOs on my Genesect and Virizion. I bring up another Virizion with a DCE and 2 Grass. I was crossing my fingers for a Mewtwo and a Scramble Switch.

I had a Skyla so drawing one or the other from my top deck would win me the game. i draw... another Skyla. My heart broke. My last shot was to Catcher to bring up Munna. Then laser + emerald slash for game. I play the catcher, roll my dice... tails. I play a Skyla to look for another Catcher and there isnt one. I take a Juniper and I hit his Gen leaving it with 20 hp. He attaches a grass and Shadow Triads for Colress Machine and games me. George goes on to be 3-0. It was a weird game on both ends lol but I was happy for him.

2-1

Round 4 vs Ho-oh/Landorus/Safeguard

I heard about her deck through the grapevine so when I found out she was my opponent I knew I how I had to approach the match up. I concentrated on using my only Bouffalant and lasers to take out her Sigilyth and Suicune. She Scamble Switched into a Landorus EX for the ko on my Bouffalant. I responded with Super Rod and Ultra Ball to bring back my Bouff and used Virizion to charge it. She brought up another Safeguard Suicune. I switched into Mewtwo and catchered up Landorus for the ko. After that Bouff took care of the rest.

3-1

Round 5 vs Garchomp/Altaria (Tristan)

I knew Tristan from my area and some good showings he's made at the tournaments I've attended. I respected him as a player and I was admitedly nervous to throw down with him. He was doing well with Garchomp (which I'm sure no one expected) but I knew how to approach the match up. I can't really remember who went first or many other details of this match. I do know that I OHKO'd his Gibles every turn. A few Catcher heads and lasers and I took 5 prizes from 3 Gibles, 1 Gabite, and one Garchomp. Seeing no way to win Tristan scoops.

4-1

Round 6 vs Blastoise

There isn't a lot to say about this game. He Ultra Balls for one Squirtle, I Catcher KO it with Virizion. After that he struggles to set up and I sweep for the game.

5-1

I finish the tournament in 5th with my 5-1 rec, just like last time. I had a lot of fun and I'm glad I did well. Special thanks to Peter for driving me up there and letting me borrow a Virizion, and congradulations to the Top 4 Jarod, Noel, Angel, and Michael.

Back