• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Raikou-GX Deck Advice

kharrison569

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all,

I really like Raikou as my favorite Pokemon. I used to play an older Raikou deck that was pretty consistent. So I am trying to make a deck using the new Raikou-GX. His GX attack is great since it puts 100 on each of the opponents pokemon that has energy attached to them. Here is what I have so far:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Magnemite BKT 51
* 1 Raikou BKT 55
* 2 Raikou SLG 32
* 3 Raikou-GX PR-SM SM121
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30
* 1 Tapu Koko-GX PR-SM SM50
* 1 Magneton BKT 53
* 2 Magnezone BKT 54
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 2 Aether Paradise Conservation Area GRI 116
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 2 Fisherman BKT 136
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Energy Retrieval SLG 59
* 1 Clemont GEN 59
* 1 Switch SUM 132
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 N FCO 105
* 4 Rare Candy PRC 135
* 2 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 1 Acerola BUS 112

##Energy - 12

* 12 Lightning Energy Energy 4

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I would appreciate any advice to help make the deck stronger.

So normally I would suggest Max Elixir but Raikou just has too high energy requirements for that, so I think you are right to commit to Magnezone. This would be my suggested Raikou/ Magnezone deck.

Pokemon = 14

Raikou GX - 3
Raikou BKT- 2
Raikou SHL - 1
Magnemite -2
Magneton -0
Magnezone -2
Tapu Koko Promo - 1
Tapu Lele GX - 2
Oranguru - 1

Stadiums = 2
Aether Paradise Conservation Area - 2

Items = 17
Ultra Ball - 4
Super Scoop Up - 3
Fighting Fury Belt -3
Energy Retrieval - 3
Rare Candy - 2
Field Blower - 2

Supporters = 16
Cynthia - 3
Professor Sycamore - 3
Acerola - 3
N - 2
Guzma - 2
Volkner - 2
Fisherman - 1

Energy = 11
Lightning - 11

This deck is fairly similar to what you were running except I believe Acerola and Super Scoop Up, along with damage reduction and increased health can make Raikou a harder hitting Tapu Koko GX. Let's say Raikou swings for 150 (160 because of FFB) and loses the coin flip while at full health, if you have the FFB and APCA out he will have an effective 200 HP remaining, and allowing you Acerola or Super Scoop Up the next turn. Now that sounds good but you are going to have some major problems, first Field Blower is something that will simply devastate you by leaving you at 130 HP, so your best bet is to bait one out early and their other later and then pray they don't run 3. 1 Victini seems like a decent plan if you find room. Second are the hard hitting big GXs that can overcome your health. Say you flip heads and have 250 HP with 4 energy on you a Gardevoir will need 5 energy on it to KO so that still seems like a good matchup for you, but if you take the 50 it will only take it 3 energy which is a simple task for Gardevoir. Your metal counterpart of Necrozma/Magnezone can hit 220 resisted by 20, but that still hits to 200 needed. The more I type the more I realize you do the the Fliptini, and I'd probably drop 1 BKT Raikou. Volkner is a must for the deck as it would normally play Skyla just to search out the Rare Candy, but it comes with a much needed energy as a bonus. Those are probably my best suggestions, good luck.

I think you need to go at least 1 more count of Aether just because brooklet hill and reverse valley are popular and you need to make sure you can keep it out

Last edited:
So normally I would suggest Max Elixir but Raikou just has too high energy requirements for that, so I think you are right to commit to Magnezone. This would be my suggested Raikou/ Magnezone deck.

Pokemon = 14

Raikou GX - 3
Raikou BKT- 2
Raikou SHL - 1
Magnemite -2
Magneton -0
Magnezone -2
Tapu Koko Promo - 1
Tapu Lele GX - 2
Oranguru - 1

Stadiums = 2
Aether Paradise Conservation Area - 2

Items = 17
Ultra Ball - 4
Super Scoop Up - 3
Fighting Fury Belt -3
Energy Retrieval - 3
Rare Candy - 2
Field Blower - 2

Supporters = 16
Cynthia - 3
Professor Sycamore - 3
Acerola - 3
N - 2
Guzma - 2
Volkner - 2
Fisherman - 1

Energy = 11
Lightning - 11

This deck is fairly similar to what you were running except I believe Acerola and Super Scoop Up, along with damage reduction and increased health can make Raikou a harder hitting Tapu Koko GX. Let's say Raikou swings for 150 (160 because of FFB) and loses the coin flip while at full health, if you have the FFB and APCA out he will have an effective 200 HP remaining, and allowing you Acerola or Super Scoop Up the next turn. Now that sounds good but you are going to have some major problems, first Field Blower is something that will simply devastate you by leaving you at 130 HP, so your best bet is to bait one out early and their other later and then pray they don't run 3. 1 Victini seems like a decent plan if you find room. Second are the hard hitting big GXs that can overcome your health. Say you flip heads and have 250 HP with 4 energy on you a Gardevoir will need 5 energy on it to KO so that still seems like a good matchup for you, but if you take the 50 it will only take it 3 energy which is a simple task for Gardevoir. Your metal counterpart of Necrozma/Magnezone can hit 220 resisted by 20, but that still hits to 200 needed. The more I type the more I realize you do the the Fliptini, and I'd probably drop 1 BKT Raikou. Volkner is a must for the deck as it would normally play Skyla just to search out the Rare Candy, but it comes with a much needed energy as a bonus. Those are probably my best suggestions, good luck.

Just curious why you wouldn't have at least 1 Clement. I like the idea of adding Victini as well. I am testing it out. Will let you know.

Just curious why you wouldn't have at least 1 Clement. I like the idea of adding Victini as well. I am testing it out. Will let you know.
Told you I probably forgot about something. I'd say 3 energy Retrieval and 1 Clemont instead of Fisherman, or 3 Prof Letter and 1 Fisherman, your call or some other combo. That definitely requires testing. Good Luck

2-2 Magnezone line? Seems way to thin. If you're playing 4 Rare Candy you may as well up it to a 3-1-3 line.

Back