Discussion Raichu... Underrated Worlds Deck?

Archiemon

Socially Awkward
There has been huge hype over which decks are going to be the most popular/played for Worlds. The overall conclusion being: Night March, Trevenant Break, Water Box, Vespiquen Variants and DarkTina/Garbodor. However the deck I don't think is getting enough hype is Raichu. If built right, played well and paired with the right Pokemon I believe Raichu could be a strong contender for worlds. Raichu has got winnable match ups across the Board (Apart from Trevenant and Vileplume). Yes, i know, no match-ups are an auto-win yet no match-ups are an auto-loss. Currently I've been testing a list paired with Yveltal -

4-4 Raichu
3 Yveltal (Oblivion Wing)
1 Yveltal (Fright Night)
1 Zorua
1 Zoroark
2 Shaymin Ex
1 Jirachi

4 Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Ranger
1 Giovanni's Scheme

4 Vs Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
3 Trainers' Mail
2 Level Ball
2 Float Stone
1 Sacred Ash
1 Super Rod
1 Muscle Band
1 Battle Compressor

4 Sky Field

4 DCE
5 Dark Energy

-This list feel has a really strong match-up against Night March as Yveltal (Oblivion Wing) can OHKO both Pumbkaboo and Joltik.
- Jirachi has always been a strong counter to Giratina Ex and now with the addition of Pokemon Ranger Chaos Wheel is a thing of the past (not really, but still)

I feel like this deck isn't yet complete and needs some more work done.
Why don't you think Raichu is not being noticed as a strong contender for San Francisco?

Also what changes would you make to my list?

Last edited:
The problem with Raichu is that Night March just destroys it. Yes you can trade evenly up to a point but Night March is much more consistent and will eventually either outspeed you or take advantage of Target Whistle or Captivating Poke Puff. None of its matchups are that favorable either. Even against Trevenant there is a large chance that you just crumble to the Item-lock and spread even though you play Dark attackers. Your matchups against the big three (Night March, Trevenant, VV) aren't that great. NM beats you and will be the most popular deck. VV beats you and should see a fair amount of representation. Trevenant is around even. Overall there's just no reason for people to consider Raichu over Night March. Yes, you have no autolosses but that doesn't make it a solid choice for Worlds.

The problem with Raichu is that Night March just destroys it. Yes you can trade evenly up to a point but Night March is much more consistent and will eventually either outspeed you or take advantage of Target Whistle or Captivating Poke Puff. None of its matchups are that favorable either. Even against Trevenant there is a large chance that you just crumble to the Item-lock and spread even though you play Dark attackers. Your matchups against the big three (Night March, Trevenant, VV) aren't that great. NM beats you and will be the most popular deck. VV beats you and should see a fair amount of representation. Trevenant is around even. Overall there's just no reason for people to consider Raichu over Night March. Yes, you have no autolosses but that doesn't make it a solid choice for Worlds.

Night is actually the best match out of the big three as I rarely us raichu and stick to the yveltal which one-shots both pumbkaboo and joltik

Night is actually the best match out of the big three as I rarely us raichu and stick to the yveltal which one-shots both pumbkaboo and joltik
Yveltal fails to one shot a Joltik with a Fighting Fury Belt as well as Mew. You don't win the Prize trade due to Target Whistle and Captivating Poke Puff. Just because you can trade one for one for a limited amount of time doesn't make your Night March matchup favorable. It's a bit of a thinking trap.

To spitball off of @Camoclone:

It is because Raichu can't blow out a certain matchup. With decks like Trevenant/Waterbox you have matches that are 70/30 in your favor. With Raichu most of your matchups are 50/50, 60/40, and 40/60, meaning that you don't have amazing matchups, nor do you have bad ones.

You have to be lucky to win a tournament, sure skill is 80-90% of it, but if you hit 3-5 bad matchups in a row, you will be screwed. In the same way that if you hit good matchups all day you will likely do very well. With a deck that has little variance in how good/bad it is, you will likely do well, but you don't really have a chance to do great.

If night march is the best out of the big three for a raichu deck... do not play raichu. Night march is a 50/50 at best IMO but maybe if you were to include more techs maybe it could be good but I'd still be worried of night march is the best of the big three.

Back