• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Quickzard (Charizard/Meganium)

k4kirin

Aspiring Trainer
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 4 Charmander TEU 12
* 1 Charmeleon TEU 13
* 4 Charizard TEU 14
* 3 Chikorita LOT 6
* 3 Meganium LOT 8

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Heat Factory {*} LOT 178
* 2 Switch HS 102
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Bill’s Analysis TEU 133
* 3 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Counter Catcher CIN 91
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Lillie UPR 125
* 1 Shrine of Punishment CES 143
* 1 Erika’s Hospitality TEU 140

##Energy - 12

* 12 Fire Energy XYEnergy 4

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Need feedback, because I feel the deck has a few problems:
1. Lack of secondary attacker (Victini Prism? Blaceph?)
2. Lack of supporting Pokemon, other than Meganium, solely to enable Charizard (Oranguru? A.Vulpix+A.Ninetales?)
3. Want to fit Acerola in the deck, as Charizards can be made on the fly with Meganium
4. Maybe more Bill's Analysis for more consistent candy searching. Maybe Jirachi, but can't afford :p
Thanks in advance!

Regarding your own questions:
  1. If you include Super Boost Energy <>, Meganium or even Swampert could become secondary attackers for this deck. If you don't, Victini <> is a possible addition, but you'll have trouble attaching enough energy for it to attack in one turn without Energy Switch or other shenanigans.
  2. If you can't afford Jirachi, Alolan Vulpix is the next best thing. Tapu Lele-GX is also a possibility because you're not heavily relying on Shrine for extra damage. Swampert is also a possible addition for its draw power (also see no.1)
  3. Charizard is not beefy enough to survive a hit, especially after using its ability. Acerola would be a dead card most of the time.
  4. You could remove a Timer Ball or Nest Ball for another Bill's. You also need more Pokemon searching, in the form of Poke Comm or Ultra Ball.
  5. Super Boost Energy <>. Use it. You can't fetch it with Charizard's ability, but you can attach it manually for 230 damage.
  6. See point 5.
All in all, the deck seems fine, but compared to Jirachi/Charizard or Fairy A-Ninetales/Charizard, you're taking extra steps for a very small advantage; Meganium can help you evolve into Charizard quickly later in the game, but then what?
Maybe running 4 Elm's/2 Jirachi instead of 4 Nest/3 Lillie would be a better idea, but I can't say for sure without testing.
Seriously though, use Super Boost Energy.

+1 to Super Boost Energy Prism Star, and absolutely find a way to include Swampert, a 2-2 line probably.

If you're worried about hitting for damage, maybe add a Naganadel or two, and just store energy on it/them; then use a few multi-switch or energy switch to move the energy to Charizard on turns you really need it. Going from 3 to 4 might be enough alone (and it's an item, so you can go up to 5 even perhaps). Maybe tech in a Volkner or two in order to be able to grab this, particularly if you can afford to add a Lele.

Or consider adding another tech or two, like 4 rainbow energies instead of fire energies, and then add buzzwole and nihilego (the 'use your opp's attack for 1 psychic' one). That gives you two opportunities to hit for big numbers for little cost.

I've actually tried Super Boost Energy. Since Zard says "+50 for each card discarded", it only does 80 damage. Confirmed on PTCGO, if that's a reliable source. I will still add it for Swampert and Meganium.

Here's my changes so far:

All Charmander & Chikorita changed to <=60HP versions

-1 Bill
-2 Lillie
-4 Nest Ball
-1 Fire Energy

+2 Mudkip
+2 Swampert
+1 Super Boost Energy
+3 Elm's

EDIT: The deck now kinda feels even slower than before, due to sometimes Elm's clogging the hand: I only really want to use it once. Maybe I'll go back to just playing A.Tales/Zard.

Last edited:
Since Zard says "+50 for each card discarded", it only does 80 damage. Confirmed on PTCGO, if that's a reliable source. I will still add it for Swampert and Meganium.
Woops, my mistake, should have read the whole card. Nonetheless, Super Boost is still useful for Swampert and Meganium to attack.

The deck now kinda feels even slower than before, due to sometimes Elm's clogging the hand: I only really want to use it once. Maybe I'll go back to just playing A.Tales/Zard.
You should be discarding Elm's with Swampert after the first one. If they still clog your hand, add more Poke Comms instead of Balls, you can use Elm's to get some basics and then use Comm to get whichever evolution you need.

Super Boost is for Swampert and Meganium to give you outs for additional attacks, agree it doesn't do extra for Charizard. Just no reason not to play it and it does 1 if you really need it to.

I think Swampert is not the way to go here, you need more ways to setup turn 1, not more ways of drawing after setup. You can include a 1-0-1 line of Swampert if you want though. Shrink the Meganium to a 2-0-2 line, use 2 Lele with only 1 Elm (so your hand isn't clogged with Elms). Add back at least 2 of the Nest Balls and as many Ultra Balls as you can. Also, do you need Charmeleon when you're using Meganium?

If you can afford Lele (which I assume you can because you were playing it with A. Tales) you need to put some in here to snag a T1 Lillie. Or Elm’s.
-2 Elm’s...? (You only need 1. Ever. Except in Lost March.)
+2 Tapu Lele GX
Oh, and if you want to, you can do -2/2 Swampert Line +4 Judge’s Whistle.

Back