Help Quick Question from a Newer Player.

Sunface

Aspiring Trainer
So I have been playing on ptcgo for a bit and really want to build my first paper deck and take it to a league so I can play and make some new friends! However I am kinda stumped on what to play. I have 2 decks that have stood out and interested me so I was hoping for some feedback as to which might be the better choice. Also keep in mind that I will be building the main deck first and adding leles later as I only have the cash to build the deck right now and will purchase the tapu leles a little bit later. So the 2 I am thinking about are Espeon gx/Garbodor and volcanion ex.

I have been having pretty good success with Espeon gx/Garbodor online, but Volcanion ex also really stands out to me and seems fun.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you! ;)

Last edited:
If you don't have access to Tapu Leles, the latter option is best, since you don't require Tapu Lele. to set up. Volcanion already needs a lot of bench space so Tapu Lele isn't used all the time.

And all those people that tell you to get Lele, and that you "need" Kiawe, are wrong. If you don't run Ho-Oh GX, its not required at all.

Because rotation is right around the corner, Espeon/ Garbodor isn't all that great. Volcanion is really fun, cheap to build, and seems like the better choice post-rotation. It has an array of attackers and will likely not get old and boring. Play the version with Ho-oh and Salazzle for a real kick.

Most leagues allow for proxy's to be used as long as it's not a league cup/challenge. This gives you the opportunity to test without the need of spending big money on cards like Tapu Lele GX. This is what I used to do to really decide which deck I wanted to build first irl and I'm sure it will help you as well.

As for deck choice, I say volcanion, though not having played volcanion myself in a good while I know it's a pretty versatile deck with many different options. Though you don't have to play all of these you have options like: Baby Volcanion, Volcanion EX, Ho-oh GX, Salazzle GX, Turtonator GX. This gives a wide variety of options to attack with in different situations.

Definitely Volcanion. It runs without Leles, is relitavely cheap, and is in a much better spot post-rotation than Espeon Garb is. I have a post rotation list if you want to see it, but it runs four Leles so you'd have to edit it a bit. Also, I could not agree more with @TotoBoss . Always test with proxies before actually buying cards.

Best of luck getting into the competitive scene :) (Wish I could but there are no leagues where I live xD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely Volcanion. It runs without Leles, is relitavely cheap, and is in a much better spot post-rotation than Espeon Garb is. I have a post rotation list if you want to see it, but it runs four Leles so you'd have to edit it a bit. Also, I could not agree more with @gumball51321 . Always test with proxies before actually buying cards.

Best of luck getting into the competitive scene :) (Wish I could but there are no leagues where I live xD)

I'm pretty sure I was the one who suggested the proxies xD, all good tho n.n

And yeah lele is more of a luxury card in volcanion as a must. especially when you don't play ho-oh you don't need the turn 1 lele/kiawe combo in your list. Volcanion runs great on brooklethill/max elixir/starmie alone from what I can tell. and salazzle/ho-oh/turt are just techs a lot of people have been playing. Though I do say lele does make the deck more consistent without vs seeker in rotation. it can still live without if you're on a budget. and again, you can always proxy the lele's :3

I'm pretty sure I was the one who suggested the proxies xD, all good tho n.n

And yeah lele is more of a luxury card in volcanion as a must. especially when you don't play ho-oh you don't need the turn 1 lele/kiawe combo in your list. Volcanion runs great on brooklethill/max elixir/starmie alone from what I can tell. and salazzle/ho-oh/turt are just techs a lot of people have been playing. Though I do say lele does make the deck more consistent without vs seeker in rotation. it can still live without if you're on a budget. and again, you can always proxy the lele's :3
Oops sorry I'll fix that xD I was reading yours and Gumball's comments at the same time basically lol. Fixed it :)

Would you guys recommend tapu bulu gx without tapu lele? Or stick with volcanion??

Tapu bulu really needs its leles. Its a stage 2 decls that heavily relies on a turn 1 brigette which is near inpossible to pull off consistently without tapu lele gx

Back