Ruling Questions from a new fan

tama_chan

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everyone! I've been a Magic: The Gathering player for a long time now, and would like to start getting into the Pokemon Trading Card Game. I have been playing the virtual Pokemon games since they came out with Red, Blue and Green. Anyway, if you could help I would be very appreciative.

1. Haunter (Legend Maker) - Haunter has the attack 'haunt'; it says this: "Put 2 damage counters on the defending Pokemon". Does this mean it goes directly to the opponents Pokemon that he is primary using? I think this is how it works, but the way the card words it, it almost sounds like you can put two damage counters on any of his Pokemon...

2. Holon's Voltorb - He has an energy ability that says "You may attach this as an Energy card from yoru hand to 1 of your Pokemon. While attatched, this card is a special energy card and provides one react energy". My question is, if you have a search energy card can you use it to find Holon's voltorb and put it into your hand? I'm not sure if he only counts as a react energy when he is put into play as one...

Thanks a bunch!

When it says "defending pokemon", it means the one they have active. If it says "put up to 4 damage counters on your opponents pokemon in any way you like (i.e. Gengar, Jynx, Medicham EX)" than you can choose. And Holon's Voltorb counts as a pokemon no matter what until you play it as an energy.

When in play, Holon's Voltorb can count as an energy or a pokemon, which ever one you choose. While Holon's Voltorb is in your deck or discard pile, it ONLY counts as a pokemon, NOT an energy. So you cannot search for it using an energy searching card.

And No, not 1 card in the TCG EXCEPT React energy counts as React energy. Holon's Voltorb provides Colourless energy, that is all it does. It provides nothing more.

Some more questions if you don't mind:

1. Are some of the older sets (Base Set 1, Jungle, Fossil) for cards considered cheap to play in a casual game? Do most people accept any combination of cards during play (like say Bill and Professor Oak) or are these so broken that it would usually be considered cheap to have them in the deck.

2. I was checking out one of the starter pack manuals and reading up on rare/foil/holograph cards. I guess I'm so used to Magic: The gathering because there are only foil versions of each card, and nothing more. So there are foils of each Pokemon in each set? Is holograph-foil or is that something completely different?

3. When it comes to opening a booster pack, usually this is how it's broken down in Magic: The Gathering:
11 commons
3 uncummons
1 rare
With a chance of 1-4 of getting a foil card most of the time. Could someone show me how it's broken down in the 9 card packs of Pokemon, and if you are guranteed at least 1 rare, etc? And how rare Stars/shiny and foils are?

4. A basic game question I didn't see in the manual. If you take several cards at the start of the game, DO have a basic Pokemon but want to choose 7 again, is this okay? I know the opponent can draw an extra card, but I wasn't sure if you are actually allowed to choose to draw several again even if you have one basic in your hand.

5. I could have sworn they made a sequel to the Pokemon Trading Card Game for Gameboy Color, but I can't find any information on it. Anyone own the import if it's out there?

6. Whats a good website to purchase fairly inexpensive Pokemon booster boxes and singles at? Is it also considered safe and secure?

8. Just out of curiousity, the only old Pokemon card I own is the promo Mewtwo that came with your movie theater ticket during the first airing of the first Pokemon movie. Is this card worth anything, or even considered any good in play?

Thanks a ton everyone!

1. There is a modified format, kinda like Magic, where (I believe) only the latest 3 sets are allowed. The current modified format is Hidden Legends-on, so bill, etc. are not allowed anyway.

2. There is a rarity called 'rare holo', which is rarer than rare. Every card in a set, usually (bar exes and stars) have a foil version, and rare holos have a holo version as well (it will be one or the other). I'm not sure what you mean though...

4. You can't choose to reshuffle your deck, no.

Here it is

1 rare
1 rev holo (any rarity)
2 uncommon
5 common

1 in 3 packs have a holo while (most likely) 1 in 12 have EX card.

I guess to clear up that specific question, what I was asking is if foil and holograph are the same thing. I've never seen an actual "holographic" Pokemon card unless people are using the term to mean foil. :)

Also, say for example the card Solrock from Legend Makers. I have one regular card of him, and a foil/holo of him with the logo Legend maker on it, and with gold text for his name and HP. Is that the only foil/holo of this solrock from this set? Or is there actually another foil/holo with out the gold text/LM logo?

Thanks!

Since you used LM as the example, here is your answer.

For the Legend Maker set the cards are as follows:

1-14 Rare Holo and Alternate Holo (or Reverse Holos) W/ Gold letter and stamp.

15-28 Rare Non-Holo and Alternate Holo (or Reverse Holos) W/ Gold letter and stamp.

29-47 Uncommon Non-Holo and Alternate Holo (or Reverse Holos) W/ Regular letter and stamp.

48-71 Common Non-Holo and Alternate Holo (or Reverse Holos) W/ Regular letter and stamp.

72-77 Uncommon Non-Holo and Alternate Holo (or Reverse Holos) W/ Regular letter and stamp.

78-80 Common Non-Holo and Alternate Holo (or Reverse Holos) W/ Regular letter and stamp.

81 Rare Non-Holo and Alternate Holo (or Reverse Holo) W/ Regular letter and stamp.

82 Uncommon Non-Holo and Alternate Holo (or Reverse Holos) W/ Regular letter and stamp.

83-92 EX / Star Ultra Rare Holo.

93 Boxtopper Ultra Rare Holo.

There are two versions of each card until you hit the EX's / Stars.

So for the set of 1-82 there is actually 164 cards to collect if you do sets, as I do.

Really 166 for the pre-release Tentacruel (Non-Holo Pre-Release Stamped) and the Golem (Non-Holo Regional Championships Stamped).

Hope all this helps.

'Rare Holo' (the term 'holo' isn't used, to my knowledge) is a rarity of card.

'Foil' refers to alternate holo, meaning a common-rare card is shiny, or a rare holo card has a different foil pattern to its regular pattern.

I think I understand. So would this be correct?:

(Note: this is for Nintendo exclusive not WotC)
Common - come in standard and foil/holo cards
Uncommon - come in standard and foil/holo cards
Rare - come in standard, foil/holo and alternate foil/holo (logo & gold txt)
Ex/Shiny - Come in foil/holo

Also one other question:

1. Is there a popular Pokemon TCG website that has comment posts for each card? Kind of like what www.essentialmagic.com has, so you can get a good idea of what people think about each card and rate it.

More like this....

Common - standard and foil
Uncommon - standard and foil
Rare - standard and foil
Rare holo - holo and foil (Holo is the typical star pattern, foil style is consistent with the set)
Ex - holo only
Star - holo only

RE:  Questions from a new fan

tama_chan said:
Some more questions if you don't mind:

5. I could have sworn they made a sequel to the Pokemon Trading Card Game for Gameboy Color, but I can't find any information on it. Anyone own the import if it's out there?

There is a sequel to the GBC version of the TCG; unfortunately, it was only released in Japan. The main reason for this was because most of the cards in this game are Japanese vending machine packs or something like that, and were never released in English (of the ~450 cards in the game, only Base through Team Rocket have English equivalents, which is only 200 cards or so). When the game was released, I think Neo Genesis was the hot new set.

This game is really hard to find. Good luck with that.

I downloaded a ROM for it and managed to bumble my way through it using a walkthrough for storyline parts and just plain guessing for battles (although most of it was just easy, I used either cards that had English equivalents or JP cards with attacks with no effects). Instead of earning Medals from the bosses in the first game, you win coins that you use during the game. There are sixteen coins to use. It should give you a rough idea of the sheer magnitude of enemies there are in this awesome game.

Now what they really need to do is release an Advanced TCG. That would be so hot. But, I don't suppose that'll be happening any time soon. I think they would have done it already...

Pimpwalkin' Mateo Johnson said:
Now what they really need to do is release an Advanced TCG. That would be so hot. But, I don't suppose that'll be happening any time soon. I think they would have done it already...

Lol, ya I'd love a game like that with RS cards on. Oh yea. :cool:

Anyway ya. The sequel to TCG looks to be much better than the first one. And as Pimpwalkin' Mateo Johnson said it is VERY hard to find.

Question!

With some of the older Nintendo sets like Ruby/Sapphire and Dragon, does each card (excluding ex's) have two different versions? It doesn't seem like it...

Some sets feature multiple cards of the same Pokémon... is that what you're talking about?

Back