Event Questions about Nationals!

socery

I love being bad
After the ban, my mind started going to what would be played at (U.S.) nationals. The good old Toad might still see a little play, but probably not much. Here is what I expect:

- Groundon Varients
- Eggs?
- Virgen?
- Small amounts of Toad, Trees/Shaymin
- Fighting?

I really am not sure. Thoughts??

Nobody really knows at this point. The trump card ban is changing the meta game.
All I really can guess is the presence of more Night March.

It's hard to know in such a complex meta game.

Yeah, this US Nationals will be won partly due to luck by the person who can call the correct deck.

Calling the correct deck is skill I'd argue, though sometimes the matchups you play against can be luck.

Calling the correct deck is skill I'd argue, though sometimes the matchups you play against can be luck.

If the metagame was known, I'd be with you 100%. Coming into this new LTC-less metagame where nothing is established, it's 80% luck in calling the right deck.

Playing is still 100% skill though.

If the metagame was known, I'd be with you 100%. Coming into this new LTC-less metagame where nothing is established, it's 80% luck in calling the right deck.

Playing is still 100% skill though.

Not really. Pokemon is a game of luck. But playing with your luck is skill. I also disagree with the 80% choosing the right deck. More like 50 or 55. Techs can make certain matchups better without changing the deck.

You might also see if there is a local tournament near you to get in some practice for the new format. I'm holding a tournament next Saturday in my area to give players a chance to practice.

Would a Bats variant be popular? If I am correct, Bats would do particularly well against Nightmarch due to low HP attackers that can be easily sniped... but does Trump sorta hurt them due to not being able to reuse Scoop Ups?

I think the Raichu variants could see play. I also think that Manectric is going to see play. My friend likes the Dragon Rayquaza deck, but I don't think it will do that well.

I think the Raichu variants could see play. I also think that Manectric is going to see play. My friend likes the Dragon Rayquaza deck, but I don't think it will do that well.
I think Raichu/Bats/Ninetales is the best meta call right now. It has 2 turns to set up a Sky Field/Ninetales in almost every matchup, and it beats Mega Rayquaza, which I think is criminally underrated right now. It deals with a lot of stuff, and as long as it doesn't face Donphan or something like Gallade, it just wins the game. 190 damage a turn with Bats and 1 prize attackers is unbeatable. It doesn't really suffer from LTC's bans (4 Super Scoop Up is all you'll ever use with this deck), and it outdoes Night March and Flareon in terms of OHKOs on 1 prize attackers. Its problem is getting completely shut down and not being able to reply. Miss Donphan and Bats variants in Swiss, and you have a powerhouse of a deck.

I feel like night march is going to be like (colorless) M-Ray. It's great. Especially now that LTC is gone. But people will be trying to counter it SO GOSH-DARN MUCH, that it have some showing, but there will be more techs that successfully work against night march. Flareon still won't happen. But that's just what I think.

These are my personal musings on what to expect / what I'm anticipating for Nationals at this moment. These could possibly change in the coming weeks as we get results in from other countries' Nationals, as that will have a major bearing on what US players will be running. This list is in no particualr order, and I'd rather not group the decks into tiers until we see some results.

Night March - Obviously a force to reckin with, following the ban of Lysandre's Trump Card. The deck is simple, fast and consistent. Seismitoad has long kept Night March in check, but with no way to ruin its setup, one turn of items can be all that Night March needs to start pushing 180 every turn, especially with Shaymin around. If you're not playing this deck yourself, you should definitely keep it in mind.

Seismitoad Variants - I would love to say that the big blue frog will no longer rain on your parade, but he isn't out of the game completely by a long shot. Players will need to be more conservative witb disruption cards, but VS Seeker still allows Team Flare Grunt and Xerosic to be recovered, and Shadow Triad can get back Hypnotoxic Lasers- a tactic that has been employed since even before Toad hit the scene. The Crobat Varient is the least impacted by the LTC ban, and is still capable of two-shotting most Pokemon-EX- the Item Lock will most often keep the opponent from powering up anything that can one-shot a Toad every turn. Additionally, Mewtwo-EX can be used to give an extra late-game punch once the opponent has burned through much of their deck and Item Lock is no longer necessary.

Colorless Mega Rayquaza Variants - This card has been hyped long before Roaring Skies hit the tournament scene. Seismitoad has and will cotibnue to be a limiting factor for Rayquaza, as well Enhanched Hammer, but being able to one-shot any card in the format (other than Waillord-EX) should not be overlooked. The Bronzong variant of this deck is particularly versatile.

Bronzong Variants - With so much Special Energy around, there is much fun to be had with Aegislash and Cobalion. LTC's ban means those DCE and Rainbow Energy are gone forever, so that Righteous Edge is a lot more dangerous. While Night March can take out an Aegislash, it does give the deck a good run for its money. While I don't see Metal as having any autowins (except Mega Gardevoir, but you won't be seeing that), it does have a lot of 50/50s and slightly favorables, and doesn't autolose to anything that's popular.

Mega Manectric Variants - Manectric comes across to many as a natural counter to Rayquaza. There is some truth to this, so long as Altaria can be dealt with. In addition both Assault Laser and Turbo Bolt are reliable attacks. The latter is especially good as it powers up your bench while doing steady damage. Personally, I feel like Manectric is too slow to keep up with Rayquaza's speed, but many players will flock to this deck regardless. Be prepared to have an answer.

Raichu Variants - Here's the beef. I think Raichu is a much more efficient counter to Ray,as it can be charged up with just a DCE and give up only one prize. With Sky Field and a Muscle Band, it will also deal the magic 180 to take out a variety of threats, and can go toe-to-toe with Night March when paired with other attackers. Like Seismitoad, Raichu players will need to be more conservative and have a backup plan, but there's really lots of options. Croboat, Fighting, and Dark versions of Raichu all seem play-worthy.

Primal Groudon / Wobuffet - Slow and steady wins the race. This deck has shown itself to be quite the force once it gets going. Groudon sits quietly on the bench until it's ready to go. Focus Sash makes it impossible to one-shot, even if you can hit that 240, and the inclusion of healing cards like Dragonite ROS make the Continent Pokemon a superpower indeed. However, the slowness of the deck makes it vulnerable to Night March and other speedsters, and if your Primal Groudon is KOed, you lose everything. The popularity of this guy will depend largely on Seismitoad's success in the coming weeks.

Aromatisse Variants - That promo Regirock isn't just a novelty. It provided a safe haven for your precious Rainbow Energy. "Fairybox" is a versatile deck when it gets going, and having Malamar-EX around can slow your opponent down significantly, with many decks relying on cheap or free retreat rather than switching cards. Mega Gardevoir could have a niche role, but I wouldn't expect to see it doing well due to so many things being able to one-shot it. Waifu's going to have to wait until the rotation hits.

Gengar and Donphan - I'm grouping these into a single category since the strategy is similar their role in the format is much the same. These two decks have the best Night March matchup in town right now, but fare poorly against most of the other big-name decks. If Night March is all that it's hyped up to be, you can expect these two to rise up and take it down.... but they're risky plays due to faring poorly against the likes of other decks.

Yveltal - Eh... I dunno. With Raichu and Manectric running amok, and Rayquaza and Night March able to one-shot it with ease, it's funny to mention this deck at all. But with its long success in spite of everything against it, I think it's worth listing this deck based on its track record alone. It's a good counter to "anti-Night March" decks like Gengar and Donphan... but that's provided the format goes full circle. I'm very much on the fence about Yveltal, but I'm not ready to ride it off as not viable at all.

Not Invited : Flareon, Dragon Rayquaza, VirGen, Fighting Variants (except for Groudon and Donphan), Mega Latios, Mega Gallade. These decks are either too flimsy or just have too many negative (or not enough positive) matchups to deserve a big slice of the pie. They may see some fringe play, but you shouldn't be worrying about countering them.

Last edited:
Back