Ruling Question on Roseanne

Dimentio

Ciao!
Just a quick and minor question to clarify Roseanne's Research; It can search for Basic LvX Pokemon, correct?

For instance, I can use Roseanne's Research to search for a Dark Energy and a Darkrai LvX, correct?

K'M, you are wrong. For a card to be able to search for a LV X, it must state "Search your deck for a Basic OR Evolution card". It has to say "Basic or Evolution". If the card only states 1 of them, you can't search with it or else trainers like Great Ball, Dual Ball & would be broken...

As far as I know, Celio's Network can. Since Darkrai LV.X is a Basic Pokemon, that makes Roseanne's eligillable, right?

Psychic Pokemon Master said:
K'M, you are wrong. For a card to be able to search for a LV X, it must state "Search your deck for a Basic OR Evolution card". It has to say "Basic or Evolution". If the card only states 1 of them, you can't search with it or else trainers like Great Ball, Dual Ball & would be broken...

Bebe can search for a Lvl.X and it doesn't say that. :p A card must say "Search for a Pokemon/Basic or Evolution/Lv.X" in order to find a Lvl.X. But like PPM is trying to say, if a card says only "a Basic Pokemon" or "an Evolution card," then it can't look for a Lv.X since any Lv.X (whether it's Darkrai Lv.X or Empoleon Lv.X) is neither a Basic Pokemon nor an Evolution of a Basic Pokemon.

Suraako said:
Psychic Pokemon Master said:

Bebe can search for a Lvl.X and it doesn't say that. :p A card must say "Search for a Pokemon/Basic or Evolution/Lv.X" in order to find a Lvl.X. But like PPM is trying to say, if a card says only "a Basic Pokemon" or "an Evolution card," then it can't look for a Lv.X since any Lv.X (whether it's Darkrai Lv.X or Empoleon Lv.X) is neither a Basic Pokemon nor an Evolution of a Basic Pokemon.

Basic Pokemon or Evolution = Pokemon in general... :D
As long as the card states "Search your deck for a Basic Pokemon or Evolution card" like Celio's Network or "Search your deck for a Pokemon" like Bebe's Search, you can search for LV X. Otherwise, you cannot do so...

Level X cards are neither Basics nor Evolutions. They don't have a stage until you put them into play on top of something -- remember, they take on the stage of whatever you play them on. While in the deck, they're just considered "Pokemon".

Starting with DP, cards will now just say "Pokemon" to refer to any Pokemon card. That includes Level X.

Older (pre-DP) cards have a retroactive provision in the rulebook that says the phrase "Basic Pokemon or Evolution card" should be read as "Pokemon", meaning they can also search for any Pokemon card. But it does have to say both. Just one won't work for a Level X card.

Roseanne's Research cannot search out a Pokémon Lv. X. A Level-up is not considered an Evolution, but acts like a stage card.

You can use the card to pull out from your deck a basic Darkness Energy card and a non-level-up Darkrai.

OK. So lets say you use Bebe's Search. It says that you can search your deck for a Pokemon. Does that include searching for LV. X Pokemon?

Yes, you may search for a Lv.X via Bebe's Search as it states Pokemon that includes Level Up cards.

Ok... To make this simple for you guys...

Bebe's Search: CAN get a lv.X card.

Roseanne's Research: CANNOT get a lv.X card.

Celio's Network: CAN get a lv.X cards.

Professor Elm's Training method: CANNOT get a lv.X card.

Poke Ball, Master Ball, Dusk Ball and Quick Ball: CAN get a lv.X card.

Dual Ball and Great Ball: CANNOT get a lv.X card.

No explanations from me this time cause it only seems to confuse people. Just straight answers. (I think this simplified answer should be added to the lv.X thread :/)

Aquatrix said:
Just a quick and minor question to clarify Roseanne's Research; It can search for Basic LvX Pokemon, correct?

For instance, I can use Roseanne's Research to search for a Dark Energy and a Darkrai LvX, correct?

No, Lv. X are not evolution or basic they are a lv. up stage. Celio's network and roseanne's can get them, but since they are not really basic pokemon you cannot get them.

Spirit Of Mew said:
Aquatrix said:

No, Lv. X are not evolution or basic they are a lv. up stage. Celio's network and roseanne's can get them, but since they are not really basic pokemon you cannot get them.

Your explanation is kinda confusing. Anyway, Mewstor already mentioned which card can search & which card can't. So, just look at that post...

Wow, this thread got a decent amount of public attention since last I checked it. Thanks to everyone who cleared it up, even if only as an attempt. Mewstor definately made it clear, though.

Just as a side note, if I may; an attack that tells you to "search your deck for x number of basic Pokemon" cannot be used to find a basic LvX, but an attack telling you to "search your deck for a Pokemon" can be used. If I've understood correctly this is true, no?

For example, Togepi (GE) can search for any LvX, but Pachirisu (GE) can search for none?

Aquatrix said:
Wow, this thread got a decent amount of public attention since last I checked it. Thanks to everyone who cleared it up, even if only as an attempt. Mewstor definately made it clear, though.

Just as a side note, if I may; an attack that tells you to "search your deck for x number of basic Pokemon" cannot be used to find a basic LvX,
Correct...
but an attack telling you to "search your deck for a Pokemon" can be used. If I've understood correctly this is true, no?
Correct...

For example, Togepi (GE) can search for any LvX, but Pachirisu (GE) can search for none?

As for the example, yes, with Togepi GE, you can search for any Pokemon LV X because;

Chairman Kaga said:
Level X cards are neither Basics nor Evolutions. They don't have a stage until you put them into play on top of something -- remember, they take on the stage of whatever you play them on. While in the deck, they're just considered "Pokemon".

Starting with DP, cards will now just say "Pokemon" to refer to any Pokemon card. That includes Level X.

Pachirisu cannot be used to do so because it states there "Search your deck for up to 3 Basic Pokemon"...

Back