Collecting Question about selling 1st edition Pokemon set

decimata

Aspiring Trainer
So I worked for Babbages (Gamestop) back when the Pokemon trading card game first came out, and I bought a box of cards which almost gave me a complete set of the original 102 cards. I think I'm missing 4 holo cards (MewTwo, Charizard, and I forget the other two i'm missing)... anyways.

I've never used the cards to play with, in fact I may have handled them only a half dozen times ever, they've sat in a box for all these years. I recently put them in penny sleeves and then in hard single cases.

So I'm going to sell them, given the condition they are in I'd give them all a 9 or 10 out of 10, across the board.

Should I just sell them as is? Or should I get them PSA certified? Should I sell them as all together, or as individual cards? Or should I try to purchase the 4 cards I'm missing and sell it as a complete set?

And yes, these are the very first Pokemon cards that were released that have the "1 edition" stamp on each one.

Any advice or direction is very welcome.

Thanks!

So I worked for Babbages (Gamestop) back when the Pokemon trading card game first came out, and I bought a box of cards which almost gave me a complete set of the original 102 cards. I think I'm missing 4 holo cards (MewTwo, Charizard, and I forget the other two i'm missing)... anyways.

I've never used the cards to play with, in fact I may have handled them only a half dozen times ever, they've sat in a box for all these years. I recently put them in penny sleeves and then in hard single cases.

So I'm going to sell them, given the condition they are in I'd give them all a 9 or 10 out of 10, across the board.

Should I just sell them as is? Or should I get them PSA certified? Should I sell them as all together, or as individual cards? Or should I try to purchase the 4 cards I'm missing and sell it as a complete set?

And yes, these are the very first Pokemon cards that were released that have the "1 edition" stamp on each one.

Any advice or direction is very welcome.

Thanks!
I'd grade them and sell them seperately. another thing to mention is even Commons and Uncommons from 1st Edition base are valuable. Lastly are they 1st edition base, or another 1st edition set? (base has no set symbol)

Thanks for the advice, they are base 1st edition. They all have a "edition 1" in black on each card.

Has anyone done the PSA certification before? Any advice on that process?

I've attached a picture of the stamp I'm talking about, I have some base edition and unlimited cards too that don't have that stamp the I need to sell as well.

Attachments

• 53AA0718-8DD1-4956-AC58-2D04AE9C62AE.jpg
    53AA0718-8DD1-4956-AC58-2D04AE9C62AE.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the advice, they are base 1st edition. They all have a "edition 1" in black on each card.

Has anyone done the PSA certification before? Any advice on that process?

I've attached a picture of the stamp I'm talking about, I have some base edition and unlimited cards too that don't have that stamp the I need to sell as well.
I have tons of experience with PSA what exactly do you want advice on?

What is it actually going to cost me to get these grades? Their pricing structure is very confusing. I have 98 cards to get graded...

Any tips on shipping the cards to them / insurance? I don't think anyone does the grading in Boston.

How long does the process take?

I tried signing up for their website this weekend and the sign up seems to always be down for maintenance.

What is it actually going to cost me to get these grades? Their pricing structure is very confusing. I have 98 cards to get graded...

Any tips on shipping the cards to them / insurance? I don't think anyone does the grading in Boston.

How long does the process take?

I tried signing up for their website this weekend and the sign up seems to always be down for maintenance.
For Bulk submissions it’s ~$7 (for 100+ cards). You do need a membership though. It takes 45 business days for them to ship them back to you. You also need to send each card in Ultra Pro Semi Rigid card sleeves, and you can probably ship them in a bubble mailer with cardboard protecting them. As for insurance just base it off the total value of these cards. Another rhing is most holos from the set are over $100 each, meaning they can’t be shipped in the Bulk service. I have a membership so I may be able to help you out

I would keep in mind that selling these cards is a long process and will take up hours upon hours of your time researching, packaging and shipping -- if you want to get full value. If you do I would definitely recommend grading with PSA as commons or even uncommons go anywhere from $20 to even up to $1000. I would recommend checking out this site http://efour.proboards.com/ where you can get resources from a lot of collectors and traders who have years of experience.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It's been really helpful.

Is the PSA's pricing guide of worth, relatively accurate to market value? Like, does anyone know if these cards tend to sell higher or lower than that price?

Because, for me.... getting $100 on average per card, I'd be jumping for joy, let along some of these cards go for $1000....

Back