Discussion Question About Card Sleeves

sweetbrieR20

Aspiring Trainer
This might be a dumb question, but do you guys find that there can be a difference in the cards you draw when you sleeve them? I find that when I'm trying to test a deck for the first few times, the hands I draw are not good when the cards are sleeved. It's as if I've hardly shuffled the deck and the cards feel clumped together. But when the cards are not sleeved I tend to get better hands, so I'll get a better idea of how the deck works.

I just wanted to ask if that's a thing that can actually happen, where depending on the sleeves it'll effect the way the cards are shuffled.

If not, feel free to tell me to get gud at shuffling sleeved cards. ;-p

@AngryBokoblin I know. :(
I didn't sleeve cards that came in theme decks when I first started learning. Then when I wanted to try building my own decks I wanted them sleeved. Maybe it's the brand of sleeves that's not agreeing with me, but I had to take them off because the cards felt like they clumped together, no matter how many times I shuffled.

Get Dragon Shield Matte sleeves, so good at shuffling that they will slide off tables that aren't perfectly straight. Do not use non-matte sleeves, unless your hands are bone dry.

@ShaQuL Will do. I guess Dragon Shield is the go-to brand for sleeves? I think I tried Ultra pro cards before, but they kept splitting.

@aaron2310 ...Can I ask what table shuffling is? :confused: (it's ok, I'll google it)

Ultra Pro were my first sleeves, not too bad but nothing is better than Dragon Shield Matte for shuffling (especially for someone like me with ridiculously sweaty hands).

Table shuffling is making random piles of cards then putting them together to shuffle. I'd recommend doing that between rounds, not games.

I swear by Dragon Shields for tournament play. They are more expensive and thicker and slightly harder to shuffle. But they don't split and will go the distance for a Cup or Regional.

I have Ultra Pros and some ETB sleeves. I hate them. They split super easy and I only use them for proxy decks now.

I have heard people say Katanas are good. I will say, yes they are good. But after a Regional, they are pretty much done.

Oh, and use MATTE ONLY for tournament play. And no Clear sleeves

This might be a dumb question, but do you guys find that there can be a difference in the cards you draw when you sleeve them? I find that when I'm trying to test a deck for the first few times, the hands I draw are not good when the cards are sleeved. It's as if I've hardly shuffled the deck and the cards feel clumped together. But when the cards are not sleeved I tend to get better hands, so I'll get a better idea of how the deck works.

I just wanted to ask if that's a thing that can actually happen, where depending on the sleeves it'll effect the way the cards are shuffled.

If not, feel free to tell me to get gud at shuffling sleeved cards. ;-p
OK The Reason your Getting bad hands might be your shuffling technique, i personally shuffle sides i don't like to Poker Shuffle The Cards. If you Think Its the sleeves I Would Try Dragon Shield OR Eclipse Sleeves.

No. However, if you start with a completely unshuffled deck, it might take a couple more shuffles to make it actually random. Usually 7 or more shuffles is recommended.
What might happen though, is that in-world shuffling is not perfect, compared to actual computer-generated shuffling. I often feel like I get way worse (more random) draws online that in real life - however, I usually play dozens of rounds of online, while each tournament lasts just a couple of games. In a big sample like the online one, it's easier to find and spot crazy outliers, like a 6-energy draw and such.

@minecraft7er It's definitely possible. I'm actually going to be playing at a local for the first time this weekend. I'll try to see how other people shuffle their decks and ask around.

When I first started playing, somebody told me to shuffle sideways (shuffle the long sides together) to better protect the cards, so that's how I do it. It took a little time to get used to, but I find it easier since I have small hands and the corners don't get caught inside other sleeves.

Back