Pyroar Ideas and Possibilities

I1lucky

Your local Infernape
Hey guys I was looking at the scans for wild blaze/flash fire and I found pyroar a pokemon I think will be a good mon to form a deck or 2 around. Basically pyroar is untouchable to all basics including exes making it a great counter to plasma and big basics decks not to mention the fact that it's untouchable by yveltal EX which is becoming very popular I'm thinking it could take trevanent's spot in an accelgor or palikia ex deck abusing float stones to get it on the bench and strafe or deck and cover back into the pyroar

Any ideas for other partners for pyroar? Discuss!

Goodra: The one that prevents tools from being played. Get that out and you're safe from Garbodor.

pokedan24 said:
Goodra: The one that prevents tools from being played. Get that out and you're safe from Garbodor.

That's a good idea but the problem would be to set it up being a stage 2 I think I would rather just put in the new megaphone card.

I'll pair it with Charizard EX (I mean, that that kicks 150, not the "promo" one). Simply because you can spam attacks with pyroar to basics. If the enemy makes a 1st/2nd stage, they usually have 140-150HP so Charizard can beat them easily. You can run a 2-2 Goodra, but like you said, I prefer to run 3 Megaphones because garbotoxine issues. Also, 3-4 blacksmith or even energy retrieval and prof letter.

I1lucky said:
pokedan24 said:

That's a good idea but the problem would be to set it up being a stage 2 I think I would rather just put in the new megaphone card

Goodra actually got it's ability changed to, "As often as you like during your turn (before you attack), you may discard an Energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do, heal 60 HP from this Pokemon." So yeah you're better off with Surprise Megaphone when Tool Scrapper gets rotated out next season.

As for Pyroar it helps against Keldeo EX in the Blastoise/Keldeo matchup but it doesn't take much for them to Deluge energies onto Blastoise to one shot Pyroar especially when they can get around it's high retreat cost with Switch. Any deck running Fire needs to run at least a 2-2 or 3-3 Leafeon line to get around Blastoise so If you're running Leafeon with Pyroar/Delphox you should be fine.

Card Slinger J said:
I1lucky said:
That's a good idea but the problem would be to set it up being a stage 2 I think I would rather just put in the new megaphone card

Goodra actually got it's ability changed to, "As often as you like during your turn (before you attack), you may discard an Energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do, heal 60 HP from this Pokemon." So yeah you're better off with Surprise Megaphone when Tool Scrapper gets rotated out next season.

As for Pyroar it helps against Keldeo EX in the Blastoise/Keldeo matchup but it doesn't take much for them to Deluge energies onto Blastoise to one shot Pyroar especially when they can get around it's high retreat cost with Switch. Any deck running Fire needs to run at least a 2-2 or 3-3 Leafeon line to get around Blastoise so If you're running Leafeon with Pyroar/Delphox you should be fine.

Might as well do that I still have my leafeon from stars I could put that to use.

Card Slinger J said:
I1lucky said:

Might as well do that I still have my leafeon from stars I could put that to use but as I say this I realize a deck and cover with virbank can kill a blastoise.

Card Slinger J said:
I1lucky said:

It's ability wasn't changed - there are two Goodra cards. The Tool blocking one still exists, it was just a promo in Japan which we will probably still see in Flashfire.

As for Pyroar itself, it has too many outs. The only archetype that struggles against it is straight Darkrai/Yveltal. Everything else has evolved Pokémon that won't mind attacking (see Blastoise, Delphox), Shredders (Baby Rayquaza, Giratina-EX, Cobalion-EX) or even just Garbodor.

Yeah it's a good card, but it isn't game changing. It just means that when your opponent plays the Litleo, you should immediately start to prioritize getting out your counter. It won't slow your game any less than theirs, as they're focusing on evolving and you're focusing on getting out your Shredder with a Muscle Band on it.

Ryan Sinclair said:
Yeah it's a good card, but it isn't game changing.

I'd have to disagree with that part.

Just the fact that many top level decks played right now HAVE to include stage 1 or 2 Pokemon in order to combat it, tells me that it's definitely game changing. Pyroar against an unprepared deck is pretty much an auto-loss for the unprepared player.

Blastoise decks should NEVER be attacking with Blastoise in almost every situation, unless they have a second one out already. Losing one can cost you the game. The same can be said for Emboar, but many Rayboar decks also run Delphox, which is a much better option as an attacker. So Rayboar shouldn't have much difficulty dealing with Pyroar.

Now Plasma on the other hand, Plasma decks have a really tough time against Pyroar, seeing how most of their bench space is dedicated to Deoxys, Lugia and Thundurus. Fitting in a 1-1 or even a 2-2 stage 1 line really hurts the consistency of the deck in most cases, the best options I can see are either Leafeon (Which is weak to fire, and will get revenge killed quite easily), Glaceon or even Raichu. But just the fact that a Plasma player needs to include these cards into their deck in order to not auto-lose to Pyroar is what makes Pyroar such a game-breaking card.

Yveltal/Darkrai should already be playing Raichu, so they have a solid Pokémon to combat it from the get go.

All in all, Pyroar is a much needed change to the game. To break the meta free of such a heavy Basic-Pokemon, EX format. I'd like to see more changes like this in the future. Just the fact that it forces players to change the way they play their decks, the cards they use..is what makes it a game-changing card.

Camoclone said:
Takezo_Kensei said:
Lysandre says hi :).
I doubt many people will play Lissandre and if they do they won't play more than 2.

Not to mention, if they kill one Archeops you can always set up another one and ten they just wasted an attack. People need to realize, Lyssandre is NOT the new catcher. Let it sink in. It's the Iris of the new set where everyone thinks it's going to be BCIF and then people only play like one every 10 decks. We'll see I guess.

Camoclone said:
Takezo_Kensei said:
Lysandre says hi :).
I doubt many people will play Lissandre and if they do they won't play more than 2.

But the fact that pretty much every aggressive deck in the game, save for those that play Random Receiver, will be using 1-2 copies of Lyssandre will prove it's playability.

Some people think it won't be played, but being able to get a clutch 2-prize KO thanks to your supporter will change their minds. It's going to be played, don't trade yours if you get them.

Ryan Sinclair said:
As for Pyroar itself, it has too many outs. The only archetype that struggles against it is straight Darkrai/Yveltal. Everything else has evolved Pokémon that won't mind attacking (see Blastoise, Delphox), Shredders (Baby Rayquaza, Giratina-EX, Cobalion-EX) or even just Garbodor.

Agreed. I run a variety of decks with "big" basics and I do not expect Pyroar to prove itself as a "game-changing" Poké at all. It may become a "temporary" nuisance/inconvenience (like Silver Mirror), but nothing really noteworthy, IMHO. Consider:

• If I'm running my Darkrai-Yveltal deck, my opponent would need to ensure his Litleo survives to even evolve to Pyroar. Even if he/she does manage to promote Pyroar to the active position, I would still have other options to KO it. Or I could just play an Escape Rope and then KO whatever he/she might then promotes... unless my opponent plans to run 2 (???) Pyroar... If so, not sure how he/she would ever win a Bo3 match by just "walling" Pyroar...
  • Blastoise can easily 1HKO Pyroar - and yes, most players do have at least 2 Blastoise on his/her bench. So, KOing a Pyroar is an easy prize.
  • Emboar can easily 1HKO Pyroar - and yes, most players do have at least 2 Emboar on his/her bench. So, KOing a Pyroar is an easy prize.
  • Garbodor's Ability just makes Pyroar a easy 1HKO target too.
From my experience, there have been very few Poké that were considered game-changing and even then, players adapted accordingly in order to defeat that epic Poké. So, just expect players to adapt (and IMHO, Pyroar is not even close to being that kind of Poké).

Takezo_Kensei said:
Camoclone said:

But the fact that pretty much every aggressive deck in the game, save for those that play Random Receiver, will be using 1-2 copies of Lyssandre will prove it's playability.

Some people think it won't be played, but being able to get a clutch 2-prize KO thanks to your supporter will change their minds. It's going to be played, don't trade yours if you get them.
But is it really as simple as you say it is? It ruins consistency and very rarely will you get it when you need it. Not to mention it is a supporter.

TuxedoBlack said:
Ryan Sinclair said:

Agreed. I run a variety of decks with "big" basics and I do not expect Pyroar to prove itself as a "game-changing" Poké at all. It may become a "temporary" nuisance/inconvenience (like Silver Mirror), but nothing really noteworthy, IMHO. Consider:

• If I'm running my Darkrai-Yveltal deck, my opponent would need to ensure his Litleo survives to even evolve to Pyroar. Even if he/she does manage to promote Pyroar to the active position, I would still have other options to KO it. Or I could just play an Escape Rope and then KO whatever he/she might then promotes... unless my opponent plans to run 2 (???) Pyroar... If so, not sure how he/she would ever win a Bo3 match by just "walling" Pyroar...
  • Blastoise can easily 1HKO Pyroar - and yes, most players do have at least 2 Blastoise on his/her bench. So, KOing a Pyroar is an easy prize.
  • Emboar can easily 1HKO Pyroar - and yes, most players do have at least 2 Emboar on his/her bench. So, KOing a Pyroar is an easy prize.
From my experience, there have been very few Poké that were considered game-changing and even then, players adapted accordingly in order to defeat that epic Poké. So, just expect players to adapt (and IMHO, Pyroar is not even close to being that kind of Poké).

Think of Pyroar like you would Suicune or Sigilyph. If you run an all EX deck, either of those two cards will end the match for you. If you're unprepared to combat a Pyroar, you will lose. It's for this reason that Pyroar is a game-changing card by definition. If you don't change your deck to be ready to deal with it, you will lose. Much like people have changed their decks to deal with Sigilyph and Suicune.

Decks won't play Pyroar just to "wall" with it, they'll use it as an attacker. In what? Only time will tell. But to completely dismiss such an effect is foolhardy at best.

Takezo_Kensei said:
TuxedoBlack said:

Think of Pyroar like you would Suicune or Sigilyph. If you run an all EX deck, either of those two cards will end the match for you. If you're unprepared to combat a Pyroar, you will lose. It's for this reason that Pyroar is a game-changing card by definition. If you don't change your deck to be ready to deal with it, you will lose. Much like people have changed their decks to deal with Sigilyph and Suicune.

Decks won't play Pyroar just to "wall" with it, they'll use it as an attacker. In what? Only time will tell. But to completely dismiss such an effect is foolhardy at best.

The difference between Suicune/Sigilyph is that as soon as it's on the bench, it gets the immunity. Pyroar will take at least two turns to set up, and Litleo needs to survive that first turn. If it does survive, then you use that one turn you have to prepare - get out your Giratina EX/Cobalion EX/Baby Ray/Garbodor/spare Blastoise/Delphox, get it ready for your next turn, and always assume the Pyroar will come down immediately after. Your game pace won't be any slower than your opponent's while you're shifting priorities because your opponent is also prioritizing something that you're about to counter.

What I mentioned in my first comment was that most meta decks are prepared to face up to a Pyroar (refer to page 1) as every deck does have something that can, and will, one-shot Pyroar as soon as it comes into play. No one will need to worry about Pyroar as an attacker unless you're playing VirGen, it caps at 110 with a Muscle Band. They'll deal their damage and more than likely not take any prizes for it, then you respond with whatever it is you have in your deck that can beat it.

Takezo_Kensei said:
TuxedoBlack said:

Again, I disagree. A game-changing Poké, IMHO, is one that has/has had SIGNIFICANT impact upon the game (e.g., lots of players use/used it, teched against it, etc.). Current examples that come to mind would include Blastoise, Darkrai EX, Mewtwo EX, Sableye, etc. Pyroar (jury still out of course since it has not yet been released) is yet to be proven. None of my Poké pals consider it to be a major concern. At the moment, I still just view it as only a temporary inconvenience, and not "dismissing" it. As with Suicune and Sigilyph, I have several ways of dealing with those temporary inconveniences too.

Takezo_Kensei said:
Again, I disagree. Even if I ran an all EX deck and my opponent just ran Suicune, Sigilyph and/or Pyroar (and no one would...???), my opponent would not be able to KO 6 of my EXs in a Bo3 match. Those Poké take too long to power-up and I would have enough high HP Poké to absorb the damage. So, at best, we would tie the match. I
would not lose the match. Also, Poké like Giratina EX and Cobalion EX make Pyroar a non-issue too.

Again, the Lilteo must first evolve to even become a threat and that may not be an easy task either.

I do agree that players will adapt their decks to counter Pyroar. For example, I suspect we will continue to see Garbodor played for a while longer.

Still, my bottom line is Pyroar will NOT be "game-changing" in my opinion since it won't impact decks running Garbodor, Blastoise, Emboar, Delphox, nor any other multi-stage deck.

I think pyroar can take trevanents spot in a deck deck and cover you can just swap between the two not having to interfere with anything else in the deck.

Back