• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Pyroar / Charizard EX

Pokemom

Pokémon Professor
Pokemon:

• 2 Charizard-EX
    2 Reshiram
    4 Litleo
    3 Pyroar - IM ability
    1 Pyroar - FC ability
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• 4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Blacksmith
    2 Lysandre
    3 VS Seeker
    3 Ultra Ball
    4 Muscle Band
    1 Escape Rope
    1 Switch
    2 Battle Compressor
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Computer Search
    1 Startling Megaphone
    1 Pokemon Fan Club
    3 Bicycle
Energy:

• 4 DCE
    10 Fire Energy

Strategy:

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-bcr-on-pyroar-charizard-ex

I would like to try to make this deck for my youngest to let him feel the difference between this deck and his Yvetal deck from this toppic:
Good idea??
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-bcr-on-yveltal-ex-malamar-ex-pyroar?pid=2708436#pid2708436

Pyroar is an interesting card, it's a nice counter to both basics and EX's. But with the implementation of Mega EXs... I think it's lost allot of it's charm. Along with that, allot of decks are in love with stage 1's, like Flareon, Medicham, and Donphan. So when using it as a shield, I would only use it with Archeops NVI 67. That way your opponent can no longer evolve their Pokémon (which is an amazing tool for Pyroar). I think there was an earlier post with that as a deck idea. I would definitely check it out if your son want's to play Pyroar.

Oh yea, and Charizard is just plain horrible right now, I've tried so many time to make him playable but it has never worked... I mean if any one out there has got a good idea to use him with I would love to know. Because I really like Charizard, it's just such a classic Pokémon. Though in this meta and they way they made him, he just doesn't seem to fit in.

On the other hand, I had great success running Charizard EX (Combustion Blast) in my deck version. Maybe your son will have a preference for keeping these Poké or replacing them.

Btw, there may very well be a resurgence of G decks given the release of Primal Clash, as well as players running VirGen decks won some recent State tournaments.

There are also some good F decks too your son might enjoy. I'd suggest letting your son play with several decks you can build (even with proxies, if need be) and then he may again prefer one over the others given his capabilities, deck mechanics and complexities, and, last but not least, how much FUN he has with one versus the others.

TuxedoBlack said:
On the other hand, I had great success running Charizard EX (Combustion Blast) in my deck version. Maybe your son will have a preference for keeping these Poké or replacing them.

Btw, there may very well be a resurgence of G decks given the release of Primal Clash, as well as players running VirGen decks won some recent State tournaments.

There are also some good F decks too your son might enjoy. I'd suggest letting your son play with several decks you can build (even with proxies, if need be) and then he may again prefer one over the others given his capabilities, deck mechanics and complexities, and, last but not least, how much FUN he has with one versus the others.

Really? Could you post this Charizard deck? I would love to see it, and if it has as much success as you say it has then, I might want to try it. (none of my variations of Charizard work out very well) Maybe it's the way I think? Or maybe it's the meta...

You can post it here, I would like to see that too!! :D

That's what we were trying to do TuxedoBlack! You're a mind reader! ;)
He's 8 yrs old and he has been playing his Yveltal deck for over a year now.
I's time he learns to play all kind of decks so when Yveltal can't be played anymore he can pick up an other deck. ;)

Following are different versions of the deck I ran starting at the early part of this season. As the season progessed and new sets were released, my deck changed too incorporating newer cards. However, I do not yet have a current version of this deck utilizing all current cards.

============ Version 1.3 ============

Pokémon (13)
3 Charizard EX (Wing Attack) - high damage output
3 Litleo
2 Mewtwo EX
3 Pyroar
2 Reshiram (Outrage)

Trainers (34)
3 Bicycle (supplemental card draw support when I needed to play a Blacksmith during same turn)
3 Blacksmith
1 Colress
3 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 Lysandre
4 Muscle Band
4 N
1 Pal Pad
1 Pokemon Center Lady
1 Pokemon Fan Club
3 Professor Juniper
1 Professor's Letter
1 Scramble Switch
1 Skyla
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Switch
2 Ultra Ball
1 Virbank City Gym - lots of players were running Ht Lasers; so, I thought I didn't need many

Energy (13)
4 Double Colorless Energy
9 Fire Energy

============ Version 2.0 ============

Pokémon (14)
2 Charizard EX
4 Litleo
2 Mewtwo EX
3 Pyroar
1 Reshiram (Outrage)
2 Zekrom (Outrage) - Yveltal EX counter

Trainers (34)
1 Battle Compressor - better way to discard R energy
2 Blacksmith
2 Colress
1 Dowsing Machine
3 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 Lysandre
3 Muscle Band
4 N
1 Pokemon Center Lady
1 Pokemon Fan Club
4 Professor Juniper
1 Professor's Letter
1 Skyla
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Switch
2 Ultra Ball
1 Virbank City Gym
2 VS Seeker
1 Xerosic

Energy (12)
8 Fire Energy

============ Version 3.0 ============

Pokémon (15)
2 Charizard EX
3 Litleo
2 M Manectric EX
2 Manectric EX - more efficient Yveltal EX counter
1 Mewtwo EX
3 Pyroar
1 Reshiram (Outrage)

Trainers (34)
1 Battle Compressor - better way to discard R energy
2 Blacksmith
2 Colress
1 Dowsing Machine
1 Energy Retrieval - to recover either R and/or L energy from discard pile
2 Lysandre
2 Manectric Spirit Link
3 Muscle Band
4 N
1 Pokemon Center Lady
1 Pokemon Fan Club
4 Professor Juniper
1 Professor's Letter
1 Skyla
2 Ultra Ball
2 VS Seeker

Energy (15)
8 Fire Energy
3 Lightning Energy

Although I am an experienced, master division player, I do mentor young players at our leagues. I'm also a Poké dad too. I've found that some young players just need "simple" decks initially, just to understand the game and learn game mechanics. It's also important, IMO, not to give a young player a "master" deck sometimes if he/she can not run the deck well. At the end of the day, we want the young players to have fun - win or lose - and not get frustrated by running a too complicated deck. As the player becomes more experienced, he/she can progressed to better decks.

On the other hand, there were and are a few child prodigies in this area who "mastered" the game at an early age. So, it can happen, especially if your son really enjoys playing and wants to become more competitive.

Hope the lists help. LMK if I can answer any questions.

Lastly, from a parent's perspective - some of the best times I've had with my kids can be directly related to playing Pokémon. So, enjoy and have fun too; your experiences together will be "priceless." :D

Ah, I see now how you managed to hit the 180 mark... you used laser bank in the first 2 (interesting idea), but then you seemed to take them out later in favor of Manectric EX. I'm not sure how effective this will be when trying to OHKO stuff. Especially now that mega Gardevoir is out there. Also the lack of stadiums and ways to retreat are very disturbing. I have found that stadiums are a key part of the new meta, and that you should take advantage of them as much as possible. Ways to switch are very important as well, because so many people play laser bank it's getting ridiculous. I will probably not play any of these decks, for they don't seem to fit that well into my mind as a consistent deck. There are just to many variable singletons with no spare to back it up, for if any one of them gets prized or/and you decide to discard one or another early game not knowing if the other is prized then that would be over for you.

A consistent/successful deck from my view point has these 7 things.
1) Ways switch or create free retreat for all of your Pokémon on the field. (unless your deck is a glass canon)
2) If you have a big EX up there doing the hitting, then have a way to heal it or scoop up (yet again, unless it's a glass canon deck) lol
3) Have at least 2 or 3 copies of the most necessary cards in your deck like each type of draw supporter and balls your using (ace spec's are the exception)
4) A method of utilizing the discard pile to your own advantage (this could mean VS seekers)
5) If your using EX's to attack, then a way to bump it's health above the 180 mark. (toads, mew, and such are the exception here)
6) At least 1 or more ways to hit the 180+ mark with 1 or more of your Pokémon
7) At least 1 or more well thought out strategies in order to win, and view points that cover most (at best, all) of your opponents.

appleatingoat said:
Ah, I see now how you managed to hit the 180 mark... you used laser bank in the first 2 (interesting idea), but then you seemed to take them out later in favor of Manectric EX.
Remember: these decks were built and played at the beginning to early mid-season... The hottest deck at that time was arguably VirGen. Needless to say, these decks had NO issues with VG decks. As Yveltal emerged as a formidable Poké, one needed to be able to deal with it, hence Zekrom and later Manectric EX. These deck have not been updated at all for the current meta.

appleatingoat said:
I'm not sure how effective this will be when trying to OHKO stuff. Especially now that mega Gardevoir is out there.
It is not necessary to always be able to OHKO an opponent's Poke. For example, in many cases, one needs to 2HKO the Mega Poké.

I recently played against a M Gardevoir deck at a recent State tournament. I played Yveltal-Seismitoad-Garbodor. This is a very favorable match-up for me since I can stop my opponents' "healing" their attackers, as well as easily KO the deck's "engine" (i.e., Aromatisse).

appleatingoat said:
Also the lack of stadiums and ways to retreat are very disturbing.
Interesting observation... This was a planned tactic. THE best starter in my deck was Reshiram (Outrage). This Poké bought me some time while I setup; plus, my opponent really had to think about whether or not he/she wanted me Outrage attack on my next turn after my Reshi was attacked (keep in mind, there is a very high probably that Reshi can take a hit or 2 before being KOd). Even if I did retreat the Reshi, I discarded 2 R energy that I could then be Blacksmith'd onto another of my Poké.

appleatingoat said:
Also the lack of stadiums and ways to retreat are very disturbing. I have found that stadiums are a key part of the new meta, and that you should take advantage of them as much as possible.
IMO, that depends upon your deck, strategy, playing style, and metagame. Now, in the current meta, such Stadiums like Rough Seas, Fighting Stadium, Fairy Garden, ?? (Metal) and even Virbank seem to be custom-fitted for certain decks. And, if you are playing a W, F, Y or M deck, it would be hard not to play the Stadium that provides you advantages. However, one could still build and run a solid deck successfully without a Stadium, usually in favor of some other tech cards perhaps.

appleatingoat said:
Ways to switch are very important as well, because so many people play laser bank it's getting ridiculous.
Understood, but sometimes it's "OK" to leave your Poké active and let it take damage while you are building something else up. Sacrifices are made to win games. In the current meta, there are a variety of ways to relieve/save your active (or benched) Poké. I've used Cassius quite a bit, but you also have Az now. Other options include Keldeo EX (Rush In), Switch, Escape Rope, Super Scoop Up, Pokémon Center lady, etc. Lots of nice options; all have positive(s) and negative(s). Just got to find what works best for you in your deck.

appleatingoat said:
There are just to many variable singletons with no spare to back it up, for if any one of them gets prized or/and you decide to discard one or another early game not knowing if the other is prized then that would be over for you.
These decks were quite consistent and there was ample backup - for me (very important to also take under consideration). Note:
  • There's more than 1 attacker with different Types to cover opponents' Weaknesses.
  • More than one "big hitter" to inflict massive damage, if need be.
  • Ability to power-up any of my Poké in just one turn.
  • Multiple ways to relieve/save active Poké, if need be, with either PCL or Switch.
  • A way to recover discarded Supporters.
Each version of my deck was quite flexible and provided me the consistency I wanted. Also, the versions evolved as new cards were released and in response to the changing metagame at those times. And the deck was quite resilient even if some resource was either prized or in the discard pile.

By the way, I've learned that when you have your first chance to search through your deck, you must "take inventory" of your available resources. This could alter your strategy in the particular match-up. So, backup for the key resources, as you noted, is quite important to game winning.

appleatingoat said:
A consistent/successful deck from my view point has these 7 things.
1) Ways switch or create free retreat for all of your Pokémon on the field. (unless your deck is a glass canon)
2) If you have a big EX up there doing the hitting, then have a way to heal it or scoop up (yet again, unless it's a glass canon deck) lol
3) Have at least 2 or 3 copies of the most necessary cards in your deck like each type of draw supporter and balls your using (ace spec's are the exception)
4) A method of utilizing the discard pile to your own advantage (this could mean VS seekers)
5) If your using EX's to attack, then a way to bump it's health above the 180 mark. (toads, mew, and such are the exception here)
6) At least 1 or more ways to hit the 180+ mark with 1 or more of your Pokémon
7) At least 1 or more well thought out strategies in order to win, and view points that cover most (at best, all) of your opponents.
Good list of principles - for you/your playing style. These principles may not all apply to all decks given the deck strategy perhaps.

Also, your point 7 is one that has generated "discussions" amongst me and my Poké pals for years. Essentially, no one deck can dominate ALL the other decks in the format. There would probably me at least one "bad" match-up for any deck. Just got to accept it, play well, and do your best against the remainder of the field.

Since this is a Pyroar/Charizard deck discussion, I will not post any comments here about the Kyogre deck.

If you noticed, appleatingoat removed his Kyogre list from his 4/1 post. Since Pokemom started this thread about Pyroar-Charizard, any "major" distractions, like a water deck list, would have been discouraged (i.e., move to a different discussion thread) to post here by the Forum's Moderators.

Back