Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
TPCi has announced PTCGO’s server is undergoing maintenance to prepare for an infrastructure upgrade. This upgrade will allow accounts to migrate to Pokemon TCG Live.
On January 11, 2022 the Pokémon TCG Online game client and server were put into maintenance so that infrastructure upgrades could be applied to support account migration for the upcoming Pokémon TCG Live app. No player-facing changes were made during this maintenance.
Tournaments will remain inactive until ~1:15pm PST while we insure that the influx of logins following the end of maintenance does cause stability issues with the game server.
There has been no news about Pokemon TCG Live since its delay...

[url="https://www.pokebeach.com/2022/01/ptcgo-undergoing-maintenance-to-prepare-for-pokemon-tcg-live"]Continue reading...

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
A small infrastructure update had to be done once they've decided exactly what they want to transfer over.

They could be doing this in preparation for a transfer in a week, or six months, there's really no way to accurately tell.

dineinunes

Buzzwole Appreciation Account
A small infrastructure update had to be done once they've decided exactly what they want to transfer over.

They could be doing this in preparation for a transfer in a week, or six months, there's really no way to accurately tell.
Yeah, we already had one of these infrastructure maintenances for Live back in September.
This indicates nothing.

Gashnet

Aspiring Trainer
The wait is painful. I will never miss PTCGOs horrid search engine or the fact they never made any meaningful optimizations.

I know TPCi wanted to do it cheap but never use Flash.

ShinyMimikyu

Aspiring Trainer

Friendly reminder that this Gearhart guy isn't a software or game dev. He's a Pokemon player.

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder how this will affect the Team Challenge. lol Depending on when Season 3 was agreed to, maybe that's what delayed an earlier release of Live. Maybe they had to make sure TCGO could still be used in case anyone participating logs into Live and migrates, assuming migrating automatically disables your TCGO account. The Team Challenge is planned to go through till autumn I believe. That's a long time.

Releasing TCG Live on time would have been so beneficial for itself and the Team Challenge, assuming there aren't too many bugs that make too many cards unplayable.

magikarp ex

wouldn't you like to know.....
It's still going to be a while till release, there hasn't even been an announcement for the closed beta yet.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer

They wouldn't need to mention that in notes, though. At least at the moment, it's a safe bet that next month is the target. Remember that the first thing we're getting is a beta, so needing to delay it 8 months wouldn't make sense.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Sorry, misremembered it! They'd still need an announcement for the Canadian beta though
Most people are referring to the open beta when referring to the launch, so that doesn't really affect anything. I don't see why they'd need more that a week between the announcement and launch of the beta.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
They wouldn't need to mention that in notes, though. At least at the moment, it's a safe bet that next month is the target. Remember that the first thing we're getting is a beta, so needing to delay it 8 months wouldn't make sense.
I don't see where you're getting next month from. There's no indication for when a target release date will be.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I don't see where you're getting next month from. There's no indication for when a target release date will be.
The timing of the maintenance, and the fact that a new set is releasing next month. Releasing it alongside a set makes the most sense, and it's clear that the original plan was to launch with Fusion Strike. I don't see a huge delay being likely unless either they found out at the last minute the game was completely broken and unplayable, or they plan to skip the beta.

Obviously I could be wrong though and it might legit have needed even a full year's delay. I don't think what I'm saying here is any less of an assumption than your assumption that they've only just now decided what to transfer.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
The timing of the maintenance, and the fact that a new set is releasing next month. Releasing it alongside a set makes the most sense, and it's clear that the original plan was to launch with Fusion Strike. I don't see a huge delay being likely unless either they found out at the last minute the game was completely broken and unplayable, or they plan to skip the beta.

Obviously I could be wrong though and it might legit have needed even a full year's delay. I don't think what I'm saying here is any less of an assumption than your assumption that they've only just now decided what to transfer.
PTCGO servers need to be instructed on how to handle a transfer request once the developers decide what a transfer request looks like. My hypothesis is based on the fact that data from PTCGO servers will be transferred over to TCGL's servers, and the fact that this maintenance was to "allow accounts to migrate to Pokémon TCG Live." Your speculation is based off of an initial release date and the timing of an infrastructure update which could have been done only days or months in advance, we just don't know.

Darkbray

Aspiring Trainer
meanwhile in pokemon inc they be like "we will release it when its ready"
honestly i prefer they release an alpha with little to no bugs and everything go smoothly
no beta, no early access etcs
a week, a month, six months to prepare it for me so be it
the post in https://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/79580-infrastructure-update-jan-11-2022/ also didnt even mention when or how long
i knew it was originally planned to be released alongside a set but i wouldnt use it as the reason to release it
the main reason to release it is when the app is actually ready
i would end up mad if they rushing to release it along with next set but the game is unplayable, with many bugs, cheat, hacks etcs
its gonna be major fail start, when right now a good start is important for reviews and such
also its not like we dont have an alternative which is our current ptcgo
chill

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
meanwhile in pokemon inc they be like "we will release it when its ready"
honestly i prefer they release an alpha with little to no bugs and everything go smoothly
no beta, no early access etcs
a week, a month, six months to prepare it for me so be it
the post in https://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/79580-infrastructure-update-jan-11-2022/ also didnt even mention when or how long
i knew it was originally planned to be released alongside a set but i wouldnt use it as the reason to release it
the main reason to release it is when the app is actually ready
i would end up mad if they rushing to release it along with next set but the game is unplayable, with many bugs, cheat, hacks etcs
its gonna be major fail start, when right now a good start is important for reviews and such
also its not like we dont have an alternative which is our current ptcgo
chill
Just FYI, alpha comes before beta, not after.

Also, for something like this a public beta is pretty much necessary for there to be any chance of the final release being good. If you don't want to play tht beta, just don't.

One last thing: my thinking is that they'd actually delay the release to coincide with a set, not rush. As in, say for example they needed a month or two to fix the problem they had with launching in November. Even if they have already fixed it, they would still wait until close to Brilliant Stars to release. Likewise, if it won't be ready until March, it'll probably release in May.