JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Pokemon recently announced Team Challenge Season 3 and while a few changes were announced at the time of the announcement, there’s been a hidden change that is sure to cause a bit of disruption. In previous Team Challenge events, players were restricted to their country of residence. With the Team Challenge Season 3, that restriction is made even tighter—players from the United States will now be restricted to their specific state of residence. This means that players who would have been participants at stores just across state lines are no longer allowed to participate in the qualifiers for those stores.
This change can be found on the one of the details pages for the Play! Pokemon...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

taveryri

Aspiring Trainer
If I have ever read a regurgitated politicians statement on an issue, I’ve just read one lol.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I thought the only countries that are allowed to run in-store qualifiers are those that are reopened by Pokemon, which doesn't include the USA? Making this change completely pointless.

gijinka

Aspiring Trainer
I thought the only countries that are allowed to run in-store qualifiers are those that are reopened by Pokemon, which doesn't include the USA? Making this change completely pointless.
Well, the season is only starting, and who knows which areas may be considered safe enough to play in person again, over the next few months ;)

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Well, the season is only starting, and who knows which areas may be considered safe enough to play in person again, over the next few months ;)
Which honestly sounds like a drama waiting to happen, with TPCi trying to act like medical authorities judging which places are "worthy" of reopening. Every country/state already controls what is open and what's not, they could literally just follow that.

tenkarasu

Aspiring Trainer
Which honestly sounds like a drama waiting to happen, with TPCi trying to act like medical authorities judging which places are "worthy" of reopening. Every country/state already controls what is open and what's not, they could literally just follow that.
They could very well just be doing a blanket thing for everyone, rather than having people cheat and claim they live in Indiana, when they actually live in California.

It's probably just to cover their own butts. From what I've found, more people know the name Pokemon than Magic: the Gathering. If there were to be a massive outbreak with a Pokemon event, the name *Pokemon* would be ruined. If it were to happen at a *Magic* event, or even a *YuGiOh* event, it wouldn't be under Magic or Konami, it would be under Hasbro/WotC or Konami.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
It's probably just to cover their own butts. From what I've found, more people know the name Pokemon than Magic: the Gathering. If there were to be a massive outbreak with a Pokemon event, the name *Pokemon* would be ruined. If it were to happen at a *Magic* event, or even a *YuGiOh* event, it wouldn't be under Magic or Konami, it would be under Hasbro/WotC or Konami.
Somewhat, but I think it's mostly because Pokemon TCG is experiencing that massive uptick and it's way better to let in-store play dead and reap in profit from investors and collectors, than risk any bad news that might pop that bubble. Magic needs players in stores, the collector's market for that game is really low compared to Pokemon's, especially fresh product.

Nintenfreak

Aspiring Trainer
Great, can't wait to never be able to play because there are no card stores that run Pokemon near Tupelo, MS and are certified.