Ruling Proxies

mrshaun7

King of the Mighty Turtwig!
Are proxied cards allowed in City Championships? I am thinking of using Gallentry for Cities but I only have these-

Gallade x1
Kirlia x4
Ralts x4

all from SW

No, they're only allowed in league. If they were allowed in tournament's, well, then we'd all have perfect decks :(

I can't even see why they would be allowed in league.

People using fake cards is bad enough, but cards which they don't even own? It is just ridiculous.

Since this question relates to tournament procedures, this belongs in the TCG Questions forum.

Proxies are valuable for testing out new deck ideas when one does not have all the cards they need to test the deck out otherwise.

However, they are not allowed to substitute actual cards in a deck at tournaments. You must play with original cards. Judges will use proxies at tournaments when, for whatever reason, a card is damaged somewhere during the process of the tournament. The proxy will be used to substitute the damaged card in the deck, and the damaged card will be used for reference.

DocRobot_K-176 said:
Proxies are valuable for testing out new deck ideas when one does not have all the cards they need to test the deck out otherwise.

I never actually thought of it that way.

There is a family in one of my leagues that has built about 40 different decks over time. They have enough cards to create legal competition decks for each of them, but not enough to go around all 40 decks. They proxy the rest so they don't have to spend an hour finding and swapping real cards between decks just to have fun at league.

But any sort of fake card is disallowed at a tournament. As the previous poster said, the only time a proxy would be allowed is if a card was physically damaged or destroyed during a tournament -- and even that requires the Head Judge's sign-off to be permissible. There is no other permissible use of a proxy in a tournament setting.

2007-2008 Pokemon TCG Tournament Operations Manual said:
14.1.7. Fake Cards
Only genuine Pokémon TCG cards may be used in Pokémon Organized Play events. Any fake, reproduced, or counterfeited cards must be removed from all players’ decks before the start of the event. Those that are not will be subject to confiscation by the Tournament Organizer.

14.1.14. Proxies
Player-made proxies are considered to be fake cards and should be treated as such in all ways. Players should ensure that the cards in their decks are in good condition before attending an event so as not to create a marked card situation. See section 15.4 for further information on marked cards.

If a card becomes damaged during an event in such a way that results in the card becoming marked, a judge is allowed to create a proxy of that card to act as the damaged card in all ways for the remainder of the event. The damaged card must be retained to use as a reference when the proxy card is played. Alternately, if the player has another copy of that card is available for use the player can simply replace the damaged card with an undamaged copy.

In some cases a card is damaged due to a production error. Players should do their best to avoid playing with these cards, though sometimes that is not possible. If the judge feels that this creates a marked card situation, the judge may create a proxy card to act as the damaged card in all ways for the remainder of the event. The damaged card must be retained to use as a reference when the proxy card is played.

Back