Professors & Playing Events

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
Hi, since the start of the year I've been encouraged to become a professor at my local store (I've been waiting to turn 18 so I'm able to, and have just been 'practice' judging there instead since) and was told by the head judge there that once I were to become a professor I would not be able to play any events (league challenges, cities, regionals). However, a friend of mine is telling me they know a professor that says otherwise and played in regionals last year.

I can't find any definitive information on this (or anything saying either way) through searching online, so I'm asking here- does being a professor mean I cannot play official events?

Moved from the TCG Competitive Play to the TCG Help & Advice as the OP is looking for a bit of help regarding being a professor. ~bbninjas

if it's an official tournament that is reported to Pokémon you can't play if you're on staff.

for example the monthly LC I run I can't play in, but the ones run at the next store over by a different professor I can.

you can not play in any events you are judging at.
if you are not judging an event you can play in it.

Like treyh37 and homeofmew said, you can't play in an event if you're staff. Being a Professor qualifies you to judge and organize events, and earn Professor Points for doing so. However, if you are not on the event staff, there is nothing stopping you from playing. The Professors at my local League (including myself) take turns judging and playing events. We're not all staffing at once unless a lot of people show up and we need more judges. Plenty of Professors play in events that they aren't helping to staff. There is even a special event held at Nationals (though I'm not sure where it will be in the future) called the Professor Cup, which as the name implies is a tournament just for Professors!

Back