• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Primal stall (Primal Groudon EX / Wobbuffet)

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
Pokémon: 9
  • 3 Primal Groudon
  • 3 Groudon
  • 3 Wobbuffet
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 N
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Teammates
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Scorched Earth
  • 2 Fighting Stadium
  • 4 Korrina
  • 2 Hard Charm
  • 1 Focus Sash
  • 1 AZ
  • 2 Switch
  • 2 Robo Substitute
Energy: 12
  • 8 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
Strategy:

4 empty spaces

I am planning on bringing a Primal Groudon EX deck to the Seattle spring regionals, and I need a little help with my current list:

I suggest to add 1 or 2 more Focus Sash, they are the spirit of the deck, you can live against a vespiqueen or sceptile with them. Also 1 Groudon Spirit Link for the late game, so you don't have to lose one turn when you have a Groudon already dealing damage at front.

Also a couple of Hawluchas help because they can abuse Focus Sash and Strong Energy, dealing a ton of damage to EX pokemon. Plus the free retreat make them really helpful against Escape Rope.

Assault vest and Pokemon Center Lady are good additions too.

Ok thx, how favorable is the Primal Groudon/Night March matchup?

And will a Landorus PGroudon be a better deck for the current meta?

Honestly if your more concerned about night march, run assault vest over hard charm. Although, if you suspect bats, play hard charm. It's a tough play.

One notable thing about Primal Groudon is always the absence of viable attackers other than Primal G. Landorus offers little in the way of firepower while accelerating energy and has a bad weakness, Hawlucha is unable to deal with non-EX pokemon, Wobbuffet will never take a prize. This leaves Primal Groudon unable to attack a host of enemies in the Expanded format; Suicune, Sigilyph, Giratina EX and Aegislash EX come to mind immediately. Hex Maniac could be a vital inclusion. If you plan on starting with Wobbuffet PHF and run Head Ringer and so on perhaps some Hammers might work. Wobbuffet can shut down Deluge, Metal Links and a few other energy accelerators, further denying energy might buy you the time to get Primal Groudon going? Tool Scrapper might help by removing tools already attached to evolving EX pokemon like Spirit Link, forcing you opponent to Mega evolve without them, or placing a Head Ringer *it can also be selective and remove a Head Ringer from your Groudon and not the one you put on your opponent.
I don't see Mega Turbo, might be a worthwhile inclusion.
I recommend a minimum of 4 stadiums, presume one is prized and your opponent plays none, you need the remaining 3 to net you 3 KO's on EX's. Silent Lab would help shut down Setup, Scoundrel Ring. . . obviously it is redundant somewhat if Wobbuffet is in the active spot in fact in some cases it would shut down Wobbuffet's ability and allow, say Blastoise to rain dance or Archeops to prevent evolution, I still found it an excellent way of stopping Genesect EX's Red Signal ability which could result in real trouble for Primal Groudon. Shrine of Memories is an excellent stadium for an evolved Primal Groudon, giving you the option of swinging for a 130 damage 'Massive Rend', which when combined with Strong Energies can knock out a wide variety of pokemon or going for gold with Gaia Volcano.

Add max potion, and I don't see 1 card that is playable in standard.
What? You don't see one card that is playable in standard? IDK what you mean by that, but I definitely see at least a PHF Wobbuffet which hasn't been rotated out yet (so theres one).
(Get back to me on that)

Theoretically with Landorus and mega turbo (and Battle Compressors), one could get a Primal Groudon running so quickly that they may consider 1-2 Groudon S. Link.

What? You don't see one card that is playable in standard? IDK what you mean by that, but I definitely see at least a PHF Wobbuffet which hasn't been rotated out yet (so theres one).
(Get back to me on that)

Theoretically with Landorus and mega turbo (and Battle Compressors), one could get a Primal Groudon running so quickly that they may consider 1-2 Groudon S. Link.
Sorry, mistype, I don't see 1 card that is not playable in standard so, why is the declist expanded?

Primal Groudon is far more competitive now with Carbink BREAK if you ask me. It allows you to more reliably have it set up around turn 3, and a big bonus is you can retreat off onto Carbink BREAK, max potion then attach for turn to the groudon (assuming carbink already has an energy), then with Diamond Gift and a mega turbo or your next turn's attachment your groudon is fully healed again.

Back