• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Primal Groudon/Garbodor

garchompcrescent

Part-Time Misplayer
I was discussing with a friend what to play for the next while, and came up with this idea. Not sure if I will build it yet, but it is worth getting some feedback.

Pokemon (14):
4 Groudon-EX PRC
3 Primal Groudon-EX PRC
2 Trubbish BKP
2 Garbodor BKP
1 Hoopa EX AOR
2 Shaymin-EX ROS

Trainers (36):
3 Professor Sycamore
2 N
1 Pokemon Centre Lady
2 Lysandre
1 Olympia
1 Brock's Grit
4 Mega turbo
4 Ultra ball
3 Scorched earth
2 Max Elixir
4 VS seeker
3 Groudon Spirit Link
2 Float Stone
2 Crushing Hammer
2 enhanced hammer

Energy (10):
6 Fighting
4 Strong

Strategy:
Set up a Groudon on the bench, and one in the active. Discard basic energy with ultra balls for mega turbo later. Float stone a trubbish. Turn two mega evolve both Groudons. Have the one on the bench set up and Olympia into it if possible. (You could always float stone the active instead of mega evolving). Slowly set up benched groudons while tanking with the active one using centre lady and Olympia (Into float stone garbodor). Garbodor is there for things like greninja, Yanmega, Giratina, and Carbink builds. Hammers are for glaceon and regice. You can brock's grit late game to get back valuable groudons and energy. Remember - If there is no stadium in play, and your opponent doesn't play theirs - this is good! You're backing them into a position in which they can't do what they want, slowing them down.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hello.

I think for this kind of build you really need 4 Trainers' Mail ROS, as you definitely want your Mega Turbos and energy discard cards. Two Max Elixir with 6 Basic Energy seems a little bit low in my opinion, maybe add 2 more bacis energy. I used 8 basics in my Carbink BREAK / Primal Groudon deck and it was fine.

The more I played the deck, the more I felt like Scorched Earth FAC was not the best stadium for this deck. Most of the time I wanted to play Parallel City BKT to discard useless Shaymin-EX ROS and Hoopa-EX AOR, the only legal targets for Lysandre. It also helps against some match-ups such as M Rayquaza or Xerneas Rainbow Force. Shrine of Memories PRC is also worth mentioning as it allows Primal Groudon to OHKO weaker Pokémons without discarding the stadium, to keep it for bigger Pokémons.

I'll try to test your build and give you my impressions. Hope it helped ^_^

DaPampa

you need something to take hits in the front while you power up groudon like carbink or wobb. yveltal fright night does so much work against groudon and is heavily played

I would highly recommend removing the Garbodor line and add 3 Wobbufett and 2 Carbink. It helps defend against a lot of the meta. As for the Fright Night Yveltal counters, I would add a Mr. Mime to protect your bench.

Taking what everyone said into account:

-3 Scorched earth
+1 Parallel city
+1 Shrine of Memories
+1 sky field
-2 Max Elixir
+1 Mr Mime BKT
-1 VS Seeker
+2 Trainers' Mail

So: I couldn't fit 4 Trainers' mail in, but changed the stadium to something a little better. Fright night shouldn't be a problem with Mr Mime and I Couldn't keep all four seeker when I needed something out. I'm keeping the garb - It was my unique take for the deck and I wouldn't have bothered posting if I wanted to run a generic carbink/wobbuffet build - I like this better no matter what, not a big fan of carbink.
Thanks

Can you please elaborate on this? Other than its just "wrong".
Primal groudon is a deck that relies on your primal being powered on the bench and they can't use trainer cards to get it to the active.
Why would you put anything other than your groudon or your staller on your bench since they will just lysandre it imediatly

This is the reason Parallel City BKT is good in this deck. I tried your deck few games, and as said earlier the deck is missing a frontline Pokémon. Maybe 1 or 2 Zygarde-EX FAC as you don't want Carbink, can be fetched by Hoopa-EX.
I also encountered energy issues: low amount of Basic Energy (definitely add 2 more), and the inability to bring back Strong Energy (add Special Charge STS).

Three things:
1) garbodor is not the right partner, use wobbuffet.
2) wobbuffet and garbodor shut off mr mime. It worked better when mr mime was psychic type.
3) escape rope can force a groudon active if no other benchsitters exist.

I know many of you think that wobbuffet and carbink are better, I just like garb better for the current meta, even though it makes groudon a very different deck. As for energy and special charge, I'm having trouble fitting them in. Could you give me your take on the list?
Thanks
Crescent

Has anyone ever considered running Octillary? Ive been mulling my head over this card, but it does not work when paired with wobb for the obvious reason. What could partner with this card, that is also a basic pokemon, that could seriously do damage and acceleration. In my opinion... I can't think of a card. Running straight wobb/groudon is disastrous because you have no secondary attacker stacking on small amounts of damage. Sure carbink break does that, but requiring 2 evolutions and with a 110 hp, its as easy to kill as a benched robo sub. Hats off to the man/woman who can get groudon to be viable in this format.

I use this deck with 4 wobbufet and a 2-2 carbink line and 1 mime with sucess.
Remember that carbink is an accelerator so i suggest you can drop the elixir.

Plus. Something I learned quite recently,
Groudon ex deck rule # 1 - don't play the spirit links. Your a deck that rely on stall. There will be many turns that you are not going to attack
So its best to make room for some assult vest or additional float stones

I don't think thats necessarily true because with carbink break, you need to primal evolve and power up in the same turn. If i have to choose primal evolving or using my carbink to power up groudon, its gonna be a lose lose situation regardless. 1-2 spirit links is usually my motto. If I play 3-3 primal groudon, i usually run AT LEAST 2 spirit links. Now.... if we were playing with just wobb and no secondary attackers that do not power up groudon, then I would just say to not run spirit links and to tech cards like heavy boot or assault vest.

The deck somewhat does not make sense in my opinion because typically when you run a garbodor deck, you usually have a strong main attacker like a yveltal or giratina that require little to no energy to attack. With groudon... you essentially have a slow moving tsunami attempting to catch a strong current to attack. Now, with the cards you have listed in this deck profile, what is going to be your active pokemon that is going to primarily take the heat? If you decide to put anything but your groudon, your risking easy prize cards. You obvious cannot put a trubbish as the active pokemon or you might loose your garbordor in the future. So essentially you have an active groudon stuck with turn base energy attachments. But what about your benched groudons? So now you have to decide whether you start attaching energies to the active groudon or the benched. But if you put energies to the active groudon and it takes any damage whatsoever, you now have to rely on your benched groudons for support. So again, I must reiterate that the deck needs a primary active pokemon that can afford to take a hit or two, and a solid way to power up your groudons efficiently. I don't know how well the deck has done, but id like to know from you how you managed to play the deck.

Back