POtW #6 - Gliscor

Chillarmy

El problemo?
472Gliscor_Dream.png

Welcome to Pokemon of the Week #6. I took a break last week, but I'm back and ready to go! This week we'll be discussing Gliscor.​

Gliscor walks into B/W OU as a veteran of Gen 4, and he definetly deserves the title as a top threat in both generations. He has a great base defence of 125, which is backed up by a decent base 75 HP. This combined with his great defensive typing of Ground/Flying makes him a perfect counter to any Fighting type without an Ice type attack. He is also great at spreading Toxic, and should be a consideration on any stall team. On top of that, Gliscor has great offensive stats of base 95 Attack and Speed, with decent attacking coverage of Earthquake, Facade, Acrobatics, and Ice Fang. And, the biggest merrit of all, Gliscor obtained the ability Poison Heal. Now he heals 1/8th of his HP every turn. Combined with Protect, Gliscor restoresHowever, these plentiful merits don't come without hinderances. Gliscor has weaknesses to the common types Water and Ice, and when combined with a horrible Special Defence stat, you've got sa weakness to work around. Also, Gliscor is completely walled by common threats such as SubDisable Gengar, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, and with the commoness of Rain teams, Gliscor has some problems properly functioning. Despite that, Gliscor should definetly be a consideration for Stall and Offensive teams.

Gliscor has two different roles, Defensive and Offensive. I'll be focusing in on the less used varient, Defensive.

gliscor.png

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish Nature
252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe

- Toxic
- Protect/Taunt
- Ice Fang/Facade/Taunt
- Earthquake​

Glisor can really shine in a defensive role. Many of his switch-ins, such as Politoed, Rotom W, Dragonite, the Lati twins, and Deoxys-S are severely crippled by Toxic, constantly making theopponent struggle to keep their pokemon alive. Gliscor's defensive niche is spreading Toxic, and boy he does it well. Many of Gliscor's common switch-ins, such as Politoed, Jellicent, and Rotom W, will not appreciate being badly poisoned for the rest of the match. Earthquake is Gliscor's main way of attacking, hitting Steel types that don't get hit by Toxic. The other two moveslots should be chosen depending on your team's needs. If your team is rather stall weak, Taunt is recommended for stopping pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory in their tracks, while crippling boosting sweepers such as Reuniclus or Latias switching in. Protect is great for scouting switches and surprises, while it allows Gliscor to recover 1/4 of its HP through Poison Heal. Ice Fang is generally the etter attacking move, hitting Dragons and Landorus on the switch for high damage. Facade is there if Rotom W is giving you problems. As you can see, it is fairly hard to switch into Gliscor due to his different viable moves. Defensive Gliscor needs a teammate to reliably take out Steel types who are immune to Toxic and will laugh off Gliscor's attacks, such as Skarmory, Bronzong, and Ferrothorn to some extent. Magnezone is the perfect counter, trapping and eliminating these pesky Steel types. Another great partner for Defensive Gliscor is Specially Defensive Empoleon. The two have cover eachothers weaknesses perfectly, and both play a reliable defensive role.

In this thread, discuss Gliscor. Do you use Gliscor offensively or defensively? Who do you use with Gliscor? How will the new banning of Deoxys-S affect Gliscor's performance? What new movesets ahev you created for Gliscor? Discuss!

Personally, I love the defensive version of Gliscor. It's an amazing counter to fighting types, and past that it's a great physical wall. It does have a 4x weakness, which can be a problem for walls, but besides that it's typing is great. Of the set you mentioned above, I prefer Protect over Taunt for a version of instant healing, and I prefer Ice Fang over the other stuff to especially hit the physical dragons hard, mainly Salamence and Dragonite who are immune to Earthquake.

Back