• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard [Post Rotation] Volcanion EX

BlueEew

Aspiring Trainer
Going to start playing with the new format, here is my list feedback would be appreciated.

Pokemon [14]
3 Volcanion
4 Volcanion EX
2 Tapu Lele GX
2 Turtonator GX
1 Ho-Oh GX
1 Sratyu
1 Starmie

Supporters [12]
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
3 Guzma
1 Kiawe

Stadiums [3]
3 Brooklet Hill

Items [17]
4 Ultra Ball
3 Max Elixir
3 Choice Band / Fighting Fury Belt
2 Float Stone
2 Switch
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher

Energy [14]
14 Fire

Edits:
-1 Ho-Oh GX
+1 Turtonator GX

Last edited:
Your list looks solid. I would play 2 Turtonator and 1 Ho-Oh instead of the other way around, but that's just me. Derium's Competitive Pokémon channel posted a post-rotation Volcanion list yesterday that I thought looked good.

Your list looks solid. I would play 2 Turtonator and 1 Ho-Oh instead of the other way around, but that's just me. Derium's Competitive Pokémon channel posted a post-rotation Volcanion list yesterday that I thought looked good.

Thanks for the video I didn't realize he had a separate competitive channel. 2 Turtonator 1 Ho-Oh does seem to be more popular I was just leaning towards my ratio purely because Ho-Oh doesn't have that Water weakness. I am going to get two of each so I will be able to test and adjust as I go along.

I was planning on making a similar deck to this. It is a little different though. Here is my deck list.

Pokemon: 16

4 Turtonator GX
3 Volcanion EX
2 Staryu
2 Starmie
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Salandit
1 Salazzle GX
1 Volcanion

Trainers: 31

Items
3 Float Stone
4 Ultra Ball
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Nest Ball

Supporters
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
3 Kiawe
2 Guzma
1 Acerola
1 Hala

Stadiums
4 Brooklet Hill

Energy: 13

13 Fire Energy

This deck runs Turtonator GX as the main attacker. The plan is to use Kiawe turn 1 onto Turtonator GX, and then to attack twice with Bright Flame. Then I use it's GX attack to setup another Turtonator GX, and attack a couple times with him. If I haven't won by then I try and use Salazzle GX to secure a win. I hope this helps.
I can see some odd choices that may hurt your deck a bit:

• 4 Turtonator is excessive. 3 is more sensible.
  • A 2-2 Starmie line is just a waste of space. 1-1 opens up more options (and anyway, you have Rescue Stretcher if your lone starfish gets Feather Arrowed)
  • I don't really see the point of Salazzle-GX. Volcanion is meant to be a consistent, hard-hitting deck that only uses Basic Pokemon to attack. It seems a bit clunky adding Salazzle.
  • Why only one baby Volcanion? Back in the good old days, decks would max out on them. Just a personal preference, but 3 or 4 would be better for me.
  • In a post-VS Seeker format, you cannot afford to run single supporters. I don't really like Hala in any deck beside Drampa-GX variants because Big Wheel-GX is often a turn one move.
  • 4 Brooklet Hill is excessive, especially as all you need to get it is your daddy Volcanions and the Staryu. I would only run 4 Brooklet Hill in a deck that only utilises Water and Fighting type attackers.
  • Nest Ball shouldn't really be needed.
  • 3 Kiawe is just a little bit too much, IMHO.
  • Why no Choice Band or Fighting Fury Belt?
  • Why no Ho-Oh-GX? It is the perfect partner for Kiawe.
In summary:
  • -1 Turtonator-GX
  • -1 Brooklet Hill
  • -1 Salandit
  • -1 Salazzle-GX
  • -1 Staryu
  • -1 Starmie
  • -1 Hala
  • -1 Kiawe
  • -2 Nest Ball

• +3 Volcanion
  • +2 Ho-Oh-GX
  • +1 Acerola
  • +1 Guzma
  • +2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • +1 Escape Rope

since you run 2 tapu lele, I agree with jeffreyspikes that you dont need 3 kiawe - 2 are enough
use the space for ho-oh gx

i personally run 4 kiawe - but that's couse I dont have any tapu lele :D
it's hard top play like this, but still i win roughly 65% of my duels so I'm fine for now

You don't need three Guzma / two Float Stone / two Switch as a switch engine. I would drop a Switch for a second Kiawe for consistency reasons.

Back