• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Post Rotation Tapu Bulu GX/Vikavolt

SupremeJanitor

Boba Fett Fan
I've been looking at building a Tapu Bulu deck and I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Last edited:
If you can ensure an energy in your hand every turn, the combo you mentioned is already excellent. Otherwise, Venusaur from Shining Legends + Vikavolt means even without an energy in your hand you can have Bulu set up every single turn and slam out the extra damage. Similarly, float stones with Lurantis GX is a fun build that lets you chip a little damage before setting up Bulu to attack again. I aslo find that Max Elixir is extremely important as it lets you potentially have Bulu up and running faster.
I have tried two particular builds in current format and i'll share them with you for ideas.

One build I run to get damage running quickly has a line of 4 Fomantis, 3 Promo Lurantis, 2 Lurantis GX, and a 2-2 line of Shiinotic. Shiinotic can ensure you can keep getting another 20 damage ready. I personally run 3 Nest Balls and 1 Bridgette to make it easy to get Fomantis on the bench. Lurantis GX is more-so there as a back-up attacker in case some of your Promo Lurantis get prized.

A second build I run is a bulky build using Fighting Fury Belt, Aether Paradise, and Promo Lurantis. FFB gives Tapu Bulu a solid 210 HP, which most Pokemon won't be able to knock out in one shot. Especially considering you reduce all damage by 30 thanks to your stadium. This means in a pinch you can use your GX move to ensure your survival and combined with Promo Lurantis you likely can take out the threat at the same time. Just make sure you have some way to force a switch for bulu to cure status. Zoroark w/ Floatstone is one idea that comes to mind. In expanded this is also a super fun build to use with Herbal Energy and Special Charge to continuously discard and recycle the healing effect.

Hi there,

A decklist that I would play for the Vikavolt version would be something like this:

Pokémon: 13
3x Tapu Bulu-GX
3x Vikavolt
1x Charjabug
3x Grubbin
3x Tapu Lele-GX (3 would be preferable but 1/2 would potentially suffice)
1x Tapu Koko-GX

Trainers: 35
4x Professor Sycamore
4x N
2x Guzma
2x Acerola
1x Brigette
1x Olympia
2x Brock's Grit
1x Skyla

3x Rare Candy
3x Ultra Ball
3x Heavy Ball
3x Choice Band
2x Float Stone
2x Field Blower
1x Energy Recycler

Energy:
7x Basic Grass Energy
5x Basic Lightning Energy

Hi there,

A decklist that I would play for the Vikavolt version would be something like this:

Pokémon: 13
3x Tapu Bulu-GX
3x Vikavolt
1x Charjabug
3x Grubbin
3x Tapu Lele-GX (3 would be preferable but 1/2 would potentially suffice)
1x Tapu Koko-GX

Trainers: 35
4x Professor Sycamore
4x N
2x Guzma
2x Acerola
1x Brigette
1x Olympia
2x Brock's Grit
1x Skyla

3x Rare Candy
3x Ultra Ball
3x Heavy Ball
3x Choice Band
2x Float Stone
2x Field Blower
1x Energy Recycler

Energy:
7x Basic Grass Energy
5x Basic Lightning Energy

This is an excellent build for bulu/vikavolt, I play the deck myself and my build is very similar to this. I only run 1 heavy as most games I don't even use it and fighting fury belt is also a good option for match ups like gardevior where you are 2hko them anyways and the extra hp helps survive them.

True, I would add a Tapu Koko promo, it could help to damage for example Beldum's or Ralts. After 2 Flying Flip's against Beldum's or 1 Flying Flip against Ralts, you could OHKO their Metagross GX or Gardevoir GX with a choice band (Nature's Judgement 180 + Choice band 30 = 210). Also, Tapu Koko has free retreat which makes it easier after a knockout to promote Tapu Koko, see what you get with draw for turn and switch after that. And after 2 Flying Flip's you can easily switch to a Tapu Bulu without energy cost.

Also I agree with 1 Heavy ball, although I would play 4 Ultra ball then.

I also want to add, the Vikavolt GX from GRI IS an excellent tech card. You can do 180 for 4 energy, while only discarding 2. However, I use it for the GX attack: 60 to all of your opponents benched Pokemon. For example, if they are playing metagross and you're able to get a turn 2 Vikavolt and Vikavolt GX off, then you can get rid of all of their Beldums.

I think it's too situational, although I have tried that by myself... How realistic is it you have both Vikavolt and Vikavolt GX in turn 2? After using Tapu Koko's Flying Flip it could work... It helps to OHKO every Pokemon after dealing 60 damage, like Gardevoir GX, Metagross GX (although a Flying Flip would help to be able to OHKO Metagross without a Choice Band).

But also, I prefer to use the GX attack from Bulu to heal all damage and attack for 150 (180 with Choice Band), so therefore I decided not to use Vikavolt GX anymore.

Back