Discussion Post Rotation Staples

uriel serjohn m. casal

Aspiring Trainer
Good Afternoon

We all know that the rotation is coming. With that said what are your ideas for a new deck engine trainers that can possibly be a staple next rotation in standard? I myself am a competitive player and would want to hear your thoughts and ideas about this.

Rotating Staple Cards

Trainers mail
Vs seeker
Lysandre
Shaymin EX

These are some examples that would be rotated and is a staple in every deck.

Well obvious choices such as Lele, N, etc. I think fan club/Bridgette will be staple along with the new Guzma.

Guzma just may become a Lysandre replacement for the switching utility. But Guzma does come with more thought in using as he also forces you to switch your own Pokemon.

I am puzzled on how will we able to play faster post rotation or itll definitely be so much slower but itll be unfair for decks that who doesnt run a garbordor. deck running it would be way more faster

It's hard to say for sure since we don't know what the meta will be. They may go deep or not rotate at all. However, keep and eye on A.Vulpix and Random Receiver.

Just at the end of 2008 I think. It was 1 year.

Add the new Diance to the list.

I'd understand if the attack cost was colorless, but that fairy ...mhmhm I don't know unless you run some rainbow energy, or a fairy deck, or a colorless one or maybe if the energy count and typing isn't so signifcant!

Just at the end of 2008 I think. It was 1 year.

Add the new Diance to the list.

From first glance I would say that the new Diancie is too passive to work. I would rather wait until I could Rare Candy to bring up a Stage 2. Going Wally and Diancie to get a Stage 2 up not only costs your supporter and attack for the turn, you also aren't putting any pressure on your opponent who could be drawing key cards with theirs and/or dishing out OHKOs on your 'Mons.

The amount of Stage 2s that are worth this kind of effort don't really exist in this format, and as for Stage 1s it's easier just to stream them normally.

From first glance I would say that the new Diancie is too passive to work. I would rather wait until I could Rare Candy to bring up a Stage 2. Going Wally and Diancie to get a Stage 2 up not only costs your supporter and attack for the turn, you also aren't putting any pressure on your opponent who could be drawing key cards with theirs and/or dishing out OHKOs on your 'Mons.

The amount of Stage 2s that are worth this kind of effort don't really exist in this format, and as for Stage 1s it's easier just to stream them normally.
The format is going to slow down and stage 2s are going to be big. If you are going to need to get 3-4 out (i.e. Metagross), you aren't always going to be able to Rare Candy/Metagross always. I would rather accept that fact and just aim to go through the stage 1 with a bit of evolution acceleration.

We have absolutely no idea what will and will not rotate. You can speculate all you want, but I'd rather not waste my time biting my nails over what I'm gonna cut/sell/trade for until a real announcement. For now, I'm focusing on picking up Tapu Leles and Guardians Rising stuff because...lol. It's the newest set. Pokémon tends to surprise us at weird times and sometimes there's no rhyme or reason as to what sets end up on the chopping block.

My best guess is that everything pre-BREAK will rotate, so that leaves us w/ BKT onward for the beginning of next season.

Staple Supporters (i.e. supporters in just about every deck) won't change too much this rotation: Sycamore and N will still be the big ones. Guzma will instantly replace Lysandre. And Acerola/Olympia should be one-ofs, much like AZ was in the past. So that's the core. Along with Random Receiver, which will initially slide into VS Seekers place. Lele has already replaced Shaymin for all intents and purposes, so that's checked off the list. Beyond that, it's all speculation.

Personally, if I'm putting my prophet hat on, I think Octillery and Oranguru will find themselves in almost every deck, which makes cards like Mallow and Puzzle of Time interesting because they reorder cards and boost consistency. Puzzles also give you recursion from the ditch, which decks will be wanting once we no longer have instant access to all of our Supporters by simply Ultra Balling them into the discard pile.

Misty's Determination is very intriguing. As is Skyla. Looking at deck lists from a couple years ago, cards like Skyla were played in multiples, so we could be moving toward that. As GX attacks become more prevalent, Hala's usefulness will increase. Lillie's T1 draw abilities are interesting, but since Garb has made emptying your hand T1 not as valid of a plan, I don't expect it to see much play.

I still expect tech mons, like Hawlucha or Oricorio just to name a couple off the top of my head, to be played more and more, which would make Ninja Boy more common.

So far, so spookiest card that's being rotated (unless we get the full art as a secret rare or a promo) is Hex Maniac, as it will allow ability-based decks to run rampant and be abused, much the way tool cards were abused up until the release of GRI.

That's all I can think of atm. I'll prb think of 20 things while I'm trying to sleep tonight and check back in lol.

We have absolutely no idea what will and will not rotate. You can speculate all you want, but I'd rather not waste my time biting my nails over what I'm gonna cut/sell/trade for until a real announcement. For now, I'm focusing on picking up Tapu Leles and Guardians Rising stuff because...lol. It's the newest set. Pokémon tends to surprise us at weird times and sometimes there's no rhyme or reason as to what sets end up on the chopping block.
Maybe you have no clue but if you pay attention to past trends it gives a good idea of what will be rotated that being the Ancient trait era. The rotation will likely be announced next month possibly even at nats as that was when it was last year.

Maybe you have no clue but if you pay attention to past trends it gives a good idea of what will be rotated that being the Ancient trait era. The rotation will likely be announced next month possibly even at nats as that was when it was last year.

You can't always follow trends. BW/XY was essentially the same game from what SM is trying to do. We have nerfed versions of the cards like Lysandre, N and Professor Juniper/Sycamore. No one really knows what the actual rotation will be but with a harsh change of game design from one set (two if you count Evolutions) to Sun and Moon is quite telling.

They could rotate up to Break and it will most likely happen but nothing much about the game changes. We still have N and Professor Sycamore in the format, which were printed in Fates and Steam, which is why I like the idea of Evolutions-On because it remove N and Professor Sycamore from the game, as well as overpowered decks like Greninja BREAK (Greninja is broken).

The could tell us one of many things and they are;

- No Rotation (Standard)
- Break-On
- Generations/Fates-On
- Evolutions-On (which offers the most balance)
- Sun and Moon-On

Less likely to happen

- BW-On (Japans format)
- Discontinue the Expanded format
- No Rotation (Expanded)

This is a lot of things, though less likely that could happen. We know one thing for sure though. The game is embracing a ban list now and S/M changed the game.

Back