• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Post Rotation Anti-Meta Deck: Marshadow-GX

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
What's up PokeBeach!?

I am back on the forums to post a deck that has been on my mind a bit lately. While attending one of my local Leagues, I had the opportunity to play against a deck that, at first seemed kind of trivial, but upon closer inspection appeared to be incredibly viable in the Post-Rotation Format. I will get into the decklist now before I begin to explain things.

The List:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 13

* 1 Tauros-GX SUM 100
* 4 Marshadow-GX BUS 80
* 2 Zygarde FAC 52
* 2 Turtonator-GX GRI 18
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Glaceon-EX FAC 20

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Lillie SUM 122
* 3 Po Town BUS 121
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Special Charge STS 105
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 N FAC 105
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 1 Delinquent BKP 98

##Energy - 14

* 4 Strong Energy FAC 115
* 4 Fighting Energy 6
* 2 Water Energy 3
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Now, for the explaining part of things...

Marshadow-GX:
Marshadow-GX is the main focus of the deck, and was a card that reccieved quite a bit of hype when it was first announced, because of it's Ability, Shadow Hunt. Shadow Hunt allows Marshadow to use any attacks of Basic Pokemon in the Discard Pile, so long as the Energy requirements are met, much like Mew-EX from the BW Era. However, because the Attacks must be from Pokemon in the Discard, a few interesting strategies arise.

Aside from it's Ability, Marshadow also has 1 Attack, as well as it's GX Attack, available for use.
-The attack Beatdown, for 2 Fighting and 1 Colorless Energy, does 120 Damage with no additional effects.
-The GX Attack, Peerless Hundred Blows, for 1 Fighting, does 50 Damage times the amount of Basic Energy attached to Marshadow.

So, the first attack on it's own isn't all that impressive. 120 Damage for 3 Energy is not bad, but with no added effects, it might not seem like the best choice. However, coupled with 2 Strong Energy, a Fighting Fury Belt or Choice Band, and Professor Kukui, this attack can easily do a fair amount of Damage with ease.

The GX Attack itself is not all that useful, but can be used in an Emergency to take out a large threat.

The Backup Attackers:
Ok, this is where the deck starts to get a bit interesting. Marshadow, on it's own, is not all that impressive, but, when combined with other cards, makes the deck run quite well. There are several backup attackers included in this deck, and I will address them individually:

Turtonator-GX:
Only used for it's first Attack, Shell Trap, this card is a great addition to this deck. When discarded and combined with Marshadow, the Damage output on Shell Trap can go from a meager 20, to 60+ Damage easily due to Strong Energy, Fighting Fury Belt/Choice Band, and Kukui. With the added effect of forcing the Defending Pokemon to take 80 Damage for attacking, this card greatly increases the strength of the deck. If needed, this card can be used against Metagross-GX as an attacker, but does not get the Damage boost from Strong Energy, but can still hit for 60-140 Damage, depending on what cards are used with it.
*60 Damage with Fighting Fury Belt.
*100 Damage with Choice Band, or FFB and Kukui.
*140 Damage with Choice Band and Kukui.
(Please note, Weakness has been applied.)

Zygarde 10% Forme:
This is a very interesting card in this deck for many reasons. It has 2 attacks, one of which is a great way to counter a few current decks: Aura Break. This attack, for 1 Fighting and a Double Colorless Energy, does 70 Damage, and, if the Defending Pokemon is a Dark or Fairy Type Pokemon, it cannot attack during your opponent's next turn. IF you have been keeping track of the recent additions to the game, this is actually quite useful. This attack can be used against Gardevoir-GX to keep it from attacking, or against Darkrai-EX/GX in the same way (and hitting for Weakness. When combined with just one Strong Energy or a Kukui, this attack OKO's Darkrai so long as it doesn't have a Fighting Fury Belt.).

Tauros-GX:
This card can be quite useful, especially if Marshadow is beginning to accumulate a lot of Damage. Rage and Mad Bull-GX are used to for this purpose, discouraging your opponent from Damaging Marshadow or Tauros.

Glaceon-EX:
Ok, before you get confused/mad/etc, hear me out. Glaceon is a wonderful card in the current format, especially against very Evolution-heavy decks (Ex: Gardevoir, Metagross, etc.). By using Crystal Ray, you stop attacks from Evolution Pokemon during your opponent's next turn. Though it does require a Water Energy to use (I have included 2 in the Deck for this reason), when used via Marshadow, the base 70 Damage can be further increased by Tools/Strong Energy/Kukui. Second Bite can also be used to help finish off a previously Damaged Pokemon.

Tapu Lele-GX:
Now, here is another place where things start to get a little interesting. Tapu Lele, while usually used to set up, is also an incredible attacker when used with Marshadow. It's attack, Energy Drive, which does 20 Damage times the amount of Energy attached to both Active Pokemon (though unaffected Weakness/Resistace), helps deal with threats that use quite a bit of Energy, most notably Gardevoir, by forcing your opponent to make decisions on where and how to use Energy. With Tools/Strong Energy/Kukui boosting the Damage, it becomes very easy to take out potential threats.

That should do it for attackers. Now, I will move onto a few other things I have included:

Extras:
3x Po Town:
This card punished Gardevoir, Metagross, and any other decks that rely on Evolution Pokemon by placing 3 Damage Counters on a Pokemon when it evolves. With manually Evolving a Basic to a Stage 2, you are getting a free 60 Damage out of it. Now, if I am not mistaken, because Rare Candy requires you to play the Pokemon from your hand to Evolve, I believe the Damage is also applied.

1x Parallel City:
Used to help get Pokemon into the Discard, or to force an opponent to work with a smaller Bench size. If you are looking to add a second one, you could drop 1 Po Town.

2x Field Blower:
Having 2 Field Blower allows you to keep Tools off of the opponent's Pokemon, and helps shut off Garbotoxin (Which almost completely shuts this deck down), as well as get rid of any unwanted Stadiums.

1x Delinquent:
This card is mostly to be used mid-to-late game to help clear off a Po Town or other unwanted Stadium, and force your opponent to get rid of a few cards in the process.

That is all that I feel I need to explain for the time being. If you have questions regarding why I put something in the deck, please feel free to ask. Now, I feel like it is important I suggest a few things that I personally would like to see added to the list, and some of my reasoning behind it. I don't really have much that I would like to change, other than possibly adding 1 Mew/Mew-EX, just in case I am unable to Discard the Pokemon I need for Marshadow, and instead must Bench them. Mew can also be used to hit for Weakness against Espeon/Garb.

Due to Marshadow being weak to Psychic, I would also like to try and fit in 1-2 Weakness Policy, where possible, though the extra Items do not help with Garbodor.

Possible Changes:
+1 Mew-EX, or the Basic Mew from Fates Collide, for a more budget-friendly option.
+1-2 Weakness Policy, for Espeon/Garb Matchups.

Ok, because I am not quite done with my this thread, I am going to call this Post 1. I will now make a second post with a few more pieces of information that I would hope is useful. Please refrain from posting until after the second post has been made, so I have enough chance to explain myself.

Thanks,
-AV

Last edited:
Alright, here is the second post I am going to make. I am making it because I have a few things I still need to explain, and I am not sure whether or not there is a character limit, so...

Here we go.

Why I called this an "Anti-Meta Deck:"
So, you might be wondering why I have called this an Anti-Meta Deck, and, to be honest, my reasoning is quite simple: I have included cards to help counter a majority of the decks currently being heavily played in the format, most notably the following:

Gardevoir
Metagross
Volcanion
Darkrai
Espeon/Garb
As well as various others.

Here is what I have used as counters to the aforementioned decks:

Gardevoir:
-Glaceon, Zygarde, Tapu Lele, Po Town.
Countered using Attack denial, Low Energy Count, and Spread Damage.

Metagross:
-Turtonator, Glaceon, Po Town.
Countered using Attack Denial, Type Matchups, and Spread Damage.

Volcanion:
-Glaceon
Countered using Type Matchups.

Darkrai:
-Marshadow, Zygarde.
Countered using Attack Denial, Type Matchups.

Espeon/Garbodor:
-Mew (If used), Field Blower.
Countered using Type Matchups (Mew), Tool Removal, Spread Damage, Low Item Count.

Anyway, that should do it. I apologize if my logic seems a bit strange at times, but from what I can work out, it is somewhat reasonable. If I have made some kind of mistake(s), I apologize. I am not as good a player I would like to be, but I do try and think things out before I post them.

As will all decks I post, this one is open to suggestion and changes. I do have a few requests though:
1. Please keep criticisms constructive. I would also ask that you explain your reasoning, so I have an idea as to where you are coming from.
2. Please be reasonable. I would like to try to build this deck in real life eventually if I am able, and I really hate it when people suggest me buying an absurd amount of cards, or buying more of an expensive card than I need.
3. Please feel free to ask any questions you have! Please do keep in mind I am not the most competitive player, but I do have a fairly good idea of what I am doing.

That should be all from me.
Thanks,
-AV

First of all you have to call it Shadowbox haha. I'd been thinking about it lately and my suggestions are Jolteon EX because having access to flash ray and crystal ray could simply win you games outright. I'd say check the playability of ninja boy and sophocles as well, mostly ninja boy though. Finally Silvally will help all these box decks when it comes out so keep it in mind.

This deck sounds really interesting! My idea of using Marshadow is:
- Marshadow active with Energy
- No benched Pokemon
- Glaceon and Jolteon discarded
They can't Guzma you, only way to stop is Pokemon Ranger. It would be an autowin for you.

Volcanion:
-Glaceon
Countered using Type Matchups.

When you attack with Marshadow using Glaceons attack, it doesn't hit Volcanion for weakness.

I'm having good success with this so far. An important Pokemon to tech in is Clefairy from Evolutions. Metronome is an awesome attack, gives you SO many options. Shout out to ShadowForceTCG for finding Clefairy, that was absolute genius, esp. since Marshadow's GX attack is completely worthless.

I'm keeping my Pokemon list a little bit short too. You don't need to have 25 different basic Pokemon to win with this deck. I find that I'm using Drampa, Clefairy, Jolteon, and Glaceon the most.

- No benched Pokemon
They can't Guzma you, only way to stop is Pokemon Ranger. It would be an autowin for you.

When you attack with Marshadow using Glaceons attack, it doesn't hit Volcanion for weakness.

AV means that he would put Glaceon out and attack with that.

As for my own suggestions, instead of trying to find 2 water energies, I would just go ahead and use 4 Rainbow Energy, that way it also becomes easier to add in other attackers. The number one to add would definitely be Jolteon EX, as it can autowin some games. Tapu Koko GX, Turbo Darkrai, Volcanion if they don't play Ranger or Escape Rope.

Unfortunately, I don't think your most creative option is the best. Zygarde doesn't do anything that Jolteon/Glaceon don't do, except it makes it so they can't attack, which is much easier for your opponents to remedy, because they can just retreat into another attacker and don't have to force you to switch.

My other recommendation for an attacker may sound a little weird, but hear me out: Machamp EX. Now Marshadow might at most be able to take one hit for like 150 from a Metagross or something. Steaming Mad allows you to do a crazy amount of damage in return, getting OHKOs until your opponents finishes off the Marshadow. The confusion isn't awful since you have only a 1 retreat cost anyway. Crazy Hammer is a pretty good attack if your opponent is playing Salazzle or something with Status conditions, as it out-damages Beatdown by a significant amount.

I think 1 Tapu Koko is necessary so you have the option to snipe the bench if you just miss a KO and you have a free retreat pivot should you need it.

I would also get 4 Sycamore and 4 N. 4 Sycamore can help you discard things and N is good since you will be getting your prizes slower. And I would personally go for 4 Field Blowers in this deck. The ability is so essential that it is definitely worth it. And it lets you knock off Choice Bands to give Marshadow and extra chance of surviving despite its small HP.

The stadiums seem unnecessary. They're nice, but not needed in this deck. Fairy Garden would be interesting, giving Rainbow Energy less retreat. But I don't think any stadium fits this deck. So I'd play 2 Delinquents and call it a day. Maybe a Parallel City or two, but Ultra Ball + Sycamore is really how you want to discard things.

- No benched Pokemon

I should have clarified that Glaceon could be used to hit Volcanion for Weakness. It was fairly late when I wrote this, so what made sense then doesn't make nearly as much now. Part of the logic that still makes sense (the "Anti-Meta" part), was to include ways to counter a majority of the metagame.

I'm having good success with this so far. An important Pokemon to tech in is Clefairy from Evolutions. Metronome is an awesome attack, gives you SO many options. Shout out to ShadowForceTCG for finding Clefairy, that was absolute genius, esp. since Marshadow's GX attack is completely worthless.

I'm keeping my Pokemon list a little bit short too. You don't need to have 25 different basic Pokemon to win with this deck. I find that I'm using Drampa, Clefairy, Jolteon, and Glaceon the most.

AV means that he would put Glaceon out and attack with that.

As for my own suggestions, instead of trying to find 2 water energies, I would just go ahead and use 4 Rainbow Energy, that way it also becomes easier to add in other attackers. The number one to add would definitely be Jolteon EX, as it can autowin some games. Tapu Koko GX, Turbo Darkrai, Volcanion if they don't play Ranger or Escape Rope.

Unfortunately, I don't think your most creative option is the best. Zygarde doesn't do anything that Jolteon/Glaceon don't do, except it makes it so they can't attack, which is much easier for your opponents to remedy, because they can just retreat into another attacker and don't have to force you to switch.

My other recommendation for an attacker may sound a little weird, but hear me out: Machamp EX. Now Marshadow might at most be able to take one hit for like 150 from a Metagross or something. Steaming Mad allows you to do a crazy amount of damage in return, getting OHKOs until your opponents finishes off the Marshadow. The confusion isn't awful since you have only a 1 retreat cost anyway. Crazy Hammer is a pretty good attack if your opponent is playing Salazzle or something with Status conditions, as it out-damages Beatdown by a significant amount.

I think 1 Tapu Koko is necessary so you have the option to snipe the bench if you just miss a KO and you have a free retreat pivot should you need it.

I would also get 4 Sycamore and 4 N. 4 Sycamore can help you discard things and N is good since you will be getting your prizes slower. And I would personally go for 4 Field Blowers in this deck. The ability is so essential that it is definitely worth it. And it lets you knock off Choice Bands to give Marshadow and extra chance of surviving despite its small HP.

The stadiums seem unnecessary. They're nice, but not needed in this deck. Fairy Garden would be interesting, giving Rainbow Energy less retreat. But I don't think any stadium fits this deck. So I'd play 2 Delinquents and call it a day. Maybe a Parallel City or two, but Ultra Ball + Sycamore is really how you want to discard things.

So, a part of my logic for using Basic Energy as opposed to Rainbow Energy is mostly because of cards like Enhanced/Crushing Hammer, Team Flare Grunt, Plumeria, and so on. I had originally only included 2 Special Charge in the list, and my reasoning is that I would likely have to include another due to the increased amount of Special Energy. I will consider the Machamp/Koko. I have recently seen a list from YellowSwellow that uses one Necrozma-GX for the spread damage, so I may include that. I will also see what I can do about adding a few extra trainers and such to help with consistency.

Please note, I will be adding a section with all versions of the decklist. I also forgot to give credit to the guy who I got this deck idea from, and will also add that later.

Thanks!
-AV

Good point on the SPE hate AV.

And this deck is NOT the BDIF. It has probable autolosses to several good decks - Greninja, Wobbuffet, Grampa, and (as AV mentioned) any deck that runs E Hammers.

But it is very good against probably the majority of meta decks, including Gardy, Necrozmagross, and Golisopod.

One thing to point out is that tapu lele can hit your marshadow for a clean 100 minimum if you use glaceons attack and every evolution deck outside of greninja runs leles. So glaceons usage is pretty low. Jolteon however can win games against decks with no answers to it however options for beating it are. Turt uses shell trap and you take 160 b4 they take 190 or in darkrai case they could tech in yveltal break resist marshadow and ohko you with choice band

I never thought about using Zydog in the next format. Seems interesting... I don't like these Mewbox clones, just never been a fan, but have you thought about using Drampa GX and Rainbow Energy?

Good point on the SPE hate AV.

And this deck is NOT the BDIF. It has probable autolosses to several good decks - Greninja, Wobbuffet, Grampa, and (as AV mentioned) any deck that runs E Hammers.

But it is very good against probably the majority of meta decks, including Gardy, Necrozmagross, and Golisopod.
Or Drampa. Righteous Edge realy hurts this archetype, even if you hit them for weakness. Clefairy also seems decent since it isn't on your field, and like you said, the GX attack is worthless.

Back