• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Possible Darkrai GX Ideas?

What might be some cards that work well with the new Darkrai GX? I was thinking about maybe Poison Barb.
If this is a new Pokémon forthcoming with the release of SM2, then it would be helpful to first know the full characteristics of that Pokémon. So, please include that info in your post too. Thanks.

If this is a new Pokémon forthcoming with the release of SM2, then it would be helpful to first know the full characteristics of that Pokémon. So, please include that info in your post too. Thanks.
Darkrai-GX – Darkness – HP180
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Resurrection
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this card is in your discard pile, you may play this card to your Bench and attach 1 [D] Energy from your discard pile to this card.

[D][D][C] Dark Rift: 130 damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Resistance.

[D][D][C] Dead End GX: If your opponent’s Active Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition, that Pokemon is now Knocked Out. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack a game.)

When your Pokemon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize Cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 2

In tandem with Darkrai EX BKP, it could make a great bench sitter to soak up energy like normal, but adds a way to get more energy on the board thanks to its ability. It'd also give the deck a nice opportunity to make use of a GX move, probably faring better than Umbreon GX in that regard.

What might be some cards that work well with the new Darkrai GX? I was thinking about maybe Poison Barb.
At first glance, this particular GX Pokémon is not that remarkable, IMO, due ti is DDC energy requirement of its attacks and the fact that you can only use the instant KO attack once per game. Further, running Energy Switch can make it ready to attack the same turn it is Resurrected.... As @akabryanhall pointed out, Darkrai GX can be also used for a "sneaky" KO attack in Expanded format play, as well as Standard format play too. In regards to Standard, you have Ariados, Poison Barb and Zorua (Confuse Ray) that can inflict a Special Condition. Of these examples (and there could be more), Zorua, given its Type, may be a viable partner with other Dark Pokémon.

At first glance, this particular GX Pokémon is not that remarkable, IMO, due ti is DDC energy requirement of its attacks and the fact that you can only use the instant KO attack once per game. Further, running Energy Switch can make it ready to attack the same turn it is Resurrected.... As @akabryanhall pointed out, Darkrai GX can be also used for a "sneaky" KO attack in Expanded format play, as well as Standard format play too. In regards to Standard, you have Ariados, Poison Barb and Zorua (Confuse Ray) that can inflict a Special Condition. Of these examples (and there could be more), Zorua, given its Type, may be a viable partner with other Dark Pokémon.

Hi TuxedoBlack,

Would not knock it down. Dark Rift is much better than it seems. With Resurrection and Max Elixir he can be fueled in one turn. Attach Choice Band to him and have Reverse Valley out and Dark rift will hit for 170 out of nowhere. Nevertheless in standard i would still focus a little more on Darkrai Ex and use him as an acceleration engine. Not entire sold on the GX attack to be honest.

Darkrai's ability makes it cute as a 1 of, as you would be able to power it up in 1 turn with a successful max elixir, but it doesn't like a good card to build a deck around. I'd consider putting it in as a 1 of if I decide to make a dark deck any time soon, but that is about the most I'd do with it.

Probably would be a better expanded card because of having Battle Compressor and Hypnotoxic. It's regular attack is pretty decent as well, dealing 140 with an FFB.

What I instantly thought of with this was the Darkrai / Snorlax pancake deck. The one that runs Hypno. Of all the Darkrai decks, this is the one that I thought gets the biggest boost out of running the GX because of the synergy with both attacks rather than just one. Now, instead of "only" having a giant pancake from hell waiting to slam down on you, you also have to be concerned about a [D][D][C] insta-KO set up by Hypno (or Malamar in expanded) + a switch / Zoroark / all night party / Chaos Tower combo. I could see this going from being an "only the fringiest of the fringe" concept to actually being a pretty nasty deck. Maybe not a top tier deck in the meta, but something to be aware of.

Darkrai-GX is a natural addition to rainbow road decks, especially expanded variants.

After GUR, expanded RR has pokemon of 3 different types that can fish themselves out of discard, I think this card alone is going to make that deck feel much more resilient against parallel city plays. since, assuming you preserve a bench with 3 different types after being hit with a city, you can more reliably go back up to 6 different types the next turn instead of 5 (still have to flip for Ho-oh, but you can include 2 so you have a better chance of getting one). So 190 damage instead of 160 which hits range on everything except megas/stage 1/2 GX, and from 190 you can use other boosts like Kukui/CB to hit OHKO range on everything in the game.

Darkrai-GX is a natural addition to rainbow road decks, especially expanded variants.

After GUR, expanded RR has pokemon of 3 different types that can fish themselves out of discard, I think this card alone is going to make that deck feel much more resilient against parallel city plays. since, assuming you preserve a bench with 3 different types after being hit with a city, you can more reliably go back up to 6 different types the next turn instead of 5 (still have to flip for Ho-oh, but you can include 2 so you have a better chance of getting one). So 190 damage instead of 160 which hits range on everything except megas/stage 1/2 GX, and from 190 you can use other boosts like Kukui/CB to hit OHKO range on everything in the game.

Thinking along these lines, I think this Darkrai is also a viable inclusion into Mega Ray / Mega Garb decks as a freebie "extra" so to speak. That might be enough for both decks to recover all the way to 8 from a parallel city in one turn. Especially if you ran two. Not sure there is a reason to run two, but there is that :)

I think that in combination with Salazzle, Darkrai is quite good. not only is there the special condition for Dead end GX, but there is also an extra 30 damage added to the base 130. With CB or FFB, it hits most basic EX's/ GX's.

For a deck that focuses around Darkrai GX. My best bet would be a deck focused around both Darkrai EX and Darkrai GX. Darkrai EX would be the main attacker and the deck will focus on dumping Darkrai GX and Darkness Energy into the discard pile to bring them both back into play with Darkrai GX's ability. Baby Yveltal will be played to get Darkness energy back.

Sophocles can be a nice inclusion to discard cards we want in the discard pile while drawing new cards.

Sophocles

Trainer – Supporter

Discard 2 cards from your hand. If you do, draw 4 cards.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

This is just ideas as I have never played Darkrai, as the deck doesn't appeal to me so I'm not an expert, but from reading what both Darkrais do, having a discard engine could be nice for setting up the Darkrai GXs with energies on them.

Back