• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Poltergeist (Chandelure EX / Gourgeist / Dusknoir)

TJed73

I'm just here so I don't get fined.
Experience: Intermediate

Pokemon: 16
  • 3 Pumpkaboo
  • 3 Gourgeist
  • 3 Duskull
  • 1 Dusclops
  • 3 Dusknoir
  • 3 Chandelure Ex

Trainers: 32
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 4 EvoSoda
  • 2 Rare Candy
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 2 Max Potion
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 4 Skyla
  • 3 Prof Juniper
  • 4 Shauna
  • 3 N

Energy: 12
  • 12 Psychic

Strategy
The strategy here would be to use Chandelure and Gourgeist to spread damage everywhere and then use Sinister Hand to manipulate it. In my testing of this deck, set up has been fairly quick, especially if I'm able to start with a Chandelure. It is able to take a few hits while i get a couple Gourgeist and a Dusknoir set up. Gourgeist can punish opponents that use big benches with its first move that puts 20 damage on each of their pokemon for just one energy. Chandelure has a similar move in Cursed Drop. After that, Sinister Hand comes in. Status is also something this deck can win with. Chandelure's second move does 70, burns and confuses. Combine that with a Hypnotoxic and there becomes 3 different chances that an opponent can't attack. Gourgeist can also use the Hypnotoxics with its second move that is essentially super fang. If that move and a hypnotoxic line up, its an auto knockout.

Let me know what you think and what improvements you think can be made.

PS: I understand that this deck is Rouge, maybe tier 3 at best. It's a fun deck that I think could be successful.

RE: Poltergeist (Chandelure Ex/Gourgeist/Dusknoir)

In my testing evosodas have just been really lackluster, They received to much hype. You can't use them turn 1 when you need to get pokemon out, I'd put the count to 2 and put in ultra balls, also the energy switches arent needed because all of your attackers only use 1 or 2 energy normally. You could lessen the energy count as well. In my testing Shauna is superior to colress id take out the colress. Maybe put in max potion to buy you more time to set up to deny a ko on your chandelure.

Hi TJed73,

Nice deck. If it would not be for the Darkness weakness the deck would work well. Consider to run this trainer line:

TRAINER (34):
  • 2 Shadow Triad
  • 3 Prof Juniper
  • 3 Shauna
  • 3 Skyla
  • 3 N
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 2 Tool Scrapper
  • 3 Rescue Scarf
  • 2 Escape Rope
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 Ultra Ball

ENERGY (10):
  • 10 Psychic Energy

Shadow Triad can retrieve Laser which works well with Spirit Scream on Pokémon Ex. Since Gourgeist is also your main attacker and cleaner run Rescue Scarf with him because he will be knocked out fast.

Escape Rope is the needed switch and could even lure out a Pokémon Ex for Gourgeist. Like the other reviewer said Ultra Ball would be more flexible than Evosoda. It can also obtain Chandelure.

The deck uses Pokémon Abilities for one of it's tactics. Be sure to run Tool Scrapper in case the deck runs into Garbodor decks.

You could consider to loose one Dusknoir and one Duskull for an Ace Spec and another consistency trainer since you need only one Dusknoir on the bench.

Another tactic with Gourgeist I considered is to run them with Gabodor and break even between rescue Scarf, Exp. Share and Float Stone. Life Dew could be used as an Ace Spec card in this deck.

Nice list. I do intend to develop a deck that I hope will be better than "tier 3;" Gourgeist is really good, IMHO.

By the way, I noticed you have no Tool Scrapper which will be a huge issue when playing against Garbodor decks. Also, have you yet playtested against any Darkrai EX decks? You may also want to consider adding a counter to those Poké

Does Muscle Band work with either of Poltergeist' attacks? Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Sikstrod said:
Does Muscle Band work with either of Poltergeist' attacks? Apologies if this is a stupid question.
Definitely not a stupid question... When that ruling first came out years ago, it took players awhile to understand it.

Most of the attacks of the deck's main attackers are placing damage counters; so, Muscle Band, which increases attack's damage output, would not increase any additional damage counter placement. An attack's placement of damage counters is not the same as an attack's damage output.

Further, an attack's placement of damage counter(s) is categorized as an "effect" of the attack and there are some Poke (e.g., DaX Espeon's Ability) that can actually "prevent all effects of your opponent's attacks, except damage."

Here is an updated list

Pokemon: 14
  • 3 Pumpkaboo
  • 3 Gourgeist
  • 2 Duskull
  • 1 Dusclops
  • 2 Dusknoir
  • 3 Chandelure Ex

Trainers: 36
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 EvoSoda
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 Rescue Scarf
  • 2 Max Potion
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Rare Candy
  • 2 Tool Scrapper
  • 1 Life Dew
  • 3 Skyla
  • 3 Prof Juniper
  • 3 Shauna
  • 3 N
  • 2 Shadow Triad

Energy: 10
  • 10 Psychic

I took some of the suggestions everyone had above and made a few changes...the deck runs really smooth. If it weren't for the dark weakness, I would love to run it in a tournament.

If I'm not mistaking, there's no quick way around a dark weakness, but my advice is get at least two Moonlight Stadium or Phoebe's Stadium cards... These can be searched for with Skyla...They will allow you to move around more freely which can come in handy... Problem is Phoebe's Stadium only takes away 2 out of the overall retreat cost and Moonlight Stadium works for dark types as well, your opponents I mean, so be careful when deciding to use that one or it can really be counter productive...
Other cards you could use are Dusknoir (with Dark Palm), whose attack is useful when you're falling behind, and Dusknoir Lv X (with Ectoplasm), which works as a stadium as well...

Really Nice Deck :) ...

If anyone can take a look at my deck (Gardevoir / Gallede / Mewtwo Ex) which I didn't post that long ago within this thread, any advice or opinion regarding it would be appreciated... :)

ale.543 said:
If I'm not mistaking, there's no quick way around a dark weakness, but my advice is get at least two Moonlight Stadium or Phoebe's Stadium cards... These can be searched for with Skyla...They will allow you to move around more freely which can come in handy... Problem is Phoebe's Stadium only takes away 2 out of the overall retreat cost and Moonlight Stadium works for dark types as well, your opponents I mean, so be careful when deciding to use that one or it can really be counter productive...
Other cards you could use are Dusknoir (with Dark Palm), whose attack is useful when you're falling behind, and Dusknoir Lv X (with Ectoplasm), which works as a stadium as well...

If anyone can take a look at my deck (Gardevoir / Gallede / Mewtwo Ex) which I didn't post that long ago within this thread, any advice or opinion regarding it would be appreciated... :)

I'm quite sure that this deck should be modified, so just nxd-on cards.

Running Gourgeist with lasers is imo the only way to make it competitive. I would prefer super rod to rescue scarf, because most decks run tool scrapper because of garbodor, so they just scrap the scarf away and kill your gourgeist after that. The Ace Spec in this deck should be Dowsing machine or Computer search, I prefer dowsing because it gets you an already "lost" laser back.

ViehTee said:
ale.543 said:

I'm quite sure that this deck should be modified, so just nxd-on cards.

Running Gourgeist with lasers is imo the only way to make it competitive. I would prefer super rod to rescue scarf, because most decks run tool scrapper because of garbodor, so they just scrap the scarf away and kill your gourgeist after that. The Ace Spec in this deck should be Dowsing machine or Computer search, I prefer dowsing because it gets you an already "lost" laser back.

The problem I've had is coming up with a pokemon that counters darkrai and fits into this deck. Any suggestions?

TJed73 said:
Here is an updated list

Pokemon: 14
  • 3 Pumpkaboo
  • 3 Gourgeist
  • 2 Duskull
  • 1 Dusclops
  • 2 Dusknoir
  • 3 Chandelure Ex

Trainers: 36
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 EvoSoda
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 Rescue Scarf
  • 2 Max Potion
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Rare Candy
  • 2 Tool Scrapper
  • 1 Life Dew
  • 3 Skyla
  • 3 Prof Juniper
  • 3 Shauna
  • 3 N
  • 2 Shadow Triad

Energy: 10
  • 10 Psychic

I took some of the suggestions everyone had above and made a few changes...the deck runs really smooth. If it weren't for the dark weakness, I would love to run it in a tournament.
You only have 8 basic Poké listed. How many mulligan draws are you typically providing your opponent? You might want to consider increasing the count to at least 10-11.

As a player, I tend to "analyze" how I plan to use my Tool Scrapper(s). The Life Dew (presumably you'd attached to Chandelure EX) would be a priority; i.e., I'd remove it BEFORE KOing that Poké. So, I would suggest replacing the Life Dew with another ACE Spec (Computer Search or Dowsing Machine) that you can control its use and outcome.

Most of your Poké are well within easy 1HKO range (even disregard attacks by Dark Poké); so, how effective will those Rescue Scarfs really be? Again, as a player playing against your deck, I may not even Scrapper the RS from a Gourgeist, for example, given its "low" HP - I may want you to put that Poké back into play for another "easy" KO... Consider replacing 2 of the RSs with Colress which would give you a total of 11 card draw Supporters and a Supporter that can be also retrieved from the discard pile by Shadow Triad.

Further, if you are serious about running this deck competitively, I would strongly suggest you include a Dark deck counter. Otherwise, the Absol, Darkrai EX, Yveltal, etc. will blast through your current deck's Poké. I had some intense playtesting this past week with my version of the deck and concluded that:
  • Opponents running ANY type of healing (e.g., Max Potion) greatly "upsets" the math of KOing opponent's Poké. Or opponents would not fill his/her bench in order to allow for more damage counter placement.
  • Playing against any deck with "big" basics aloowed opponents to stagger the placement of benched Poké - again limiting damage counter placement opportunities.
  • A Dark Poké counter was needed; otherwise I faced an "auto-loss" against those decks.
  • Your particular all "Psychic" Poké version of the deck will not get enough damage counters into play "fast enough" before your opponent (note: dominant decks here in the upper Midwest include Blastoise-BKEX-Keldo, Darkrai variants, FairyBox (and some crazy variants), PlasmaBox variants, RayBoar, and VirGen variants) just KOs most of your starting Poké and you are playing from behind, too often.
  • Chandelure EX is more of a liability than an asset. I prefer a 4-4 Gourgeist line, with Pumpkaboo as my ideal starter.
  • An interesting deck variation worthy of consideration (?) utilizes Gardevoir which provides some interesting options. For example, you could include Mewtwo EX as an 1-energy X-Ball attacker, and you need only 1 energy attached to Gourgeist to Spirit Scream.
Lastly, in terms of encouragement, I've still won quite a few matches, notably against Blastoise, Xerneas-Aromatisse-Slurpuff, PlasmaBox variant, and even Darkrai. All opponents are experienced players too. So, the deck has very strong potential. Just consider your area's metagame (i.e., how you can beat each of the top decks in your area) and tweak your deck accordingly to fit your playing style.

Enjoy.

Hi Dark Espeon,

Maybe to coverage the dark weakness of this deck, we can put a Terrakion EX? Wich is powerful against Darkrai...? That's what I think.

Attachments

• Chandelure-EX-card.jpg
    Chandelure-EX-card.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 3

TJed73 said:
The problem I've had is coming up with a pokemon that counters darkrai and fits into this deck. Any suggestions?
Have you considered running Blend (PRGD) energy and Shadow Circle in your deck? When Shadow Circle is in play and you have D energy attached (Blend in this case) to your Poké, that particular Poké has no Weakness.

Ghost_master200 said:
Hi Dark Espeon,

Maybe to coverage the dark weakness of this deck, we can put a Terrakion EX? Wich is powerful against Darkrai...? That's what I think.
Darkrai EX is not the threat as much as Yveltal and Yveltal EX. So, Terrakion would be be an effective counter against these particular Dark Poké.

Humm... Because Yveltal is the most used Pokemon until now (in Dark Pokes), I would choose Emolga EX. I know people are like : Emolga?! That thing would be killed in the first turn in play! But Emolga EX can be very protected to Yveltal EX because of it's Energy Glide attack. Energy Glide is that you search an Electric energy in your deck and attach it to Emolga EX and afterward switch it onto your Bench. When on the Bench, you can't be attacked ;) (in Yveltal's case, I don't think that he'll be played in a deck wich Pokemons attack on the Bench). I chose that Pokemon because of Yveltal's weakness.

I thought a little bit about how Emolga EX would be very useful in this deck. Exemple that you already have Emolga EX as your Pokemon Active, and Sigilyph with Safeguard and a Float Stone on your Bench, you should attack with Energy Glide. You have your energy attached to your Emolga EX and switch out with Sigilyph that is now your new Active Pokemon. When Yveltal EX is the opponent's Active Pokemon, Yveltal EX can't attack Sigilyph because of Safeguard. In your next turn, switch out Sigilyph with Float Stone for your Emolga EX. If Emolga EX doesn't have enough enrgy to put KO Yveltal EX, use Energy Glide. And do this process until you can. Thta's what I thought.

Neat idea, but I don't think that Pokemon is going to fit well with this deck, seeing as "Poltergeist" is mono-type, and Energy Glide requires him to run Lightning Energy to search for, as well as to use to fight with Emolga's second attack. A good idea, though I think it may require a deck that further promotes its use instead of trying to put it into a deck that won't fit it, like trying to put an Electric-shaped peg in a Psychic-shaped hole.

Not quite. There are other ways for this deck to deal with Yveltal EX. Besides, Spirit Scream can OHKO literally anything when a Laser is used. Especially with this deck, however, Emolga does not fit, I'm afraid.

If there were anything that i could add to counter Yveltal, it would be something like Raichu or Jolteon.

Back