• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Poli-Family / Aurorus

Berdish

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 30

• 4 Poliwag
    4 Poliwhirl
    2 Politoed
    1 Poliwrath
    2 Froakie
    2 Frogadier
    1 Greninja
    3 Eevee
    2 Glaceon
    4 Amaura
    4 Aurorus
    1 Alomomola
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 17

• 1 Professor Sycamore
    1 Shauna
    1 Tierno
    4 Fossil Researcher
    4 Energy Search
    2 Poke Ball
    2 Potion
    1 Robo Substitute
    1 Switch
Energy: 13

• 13 Water Energy

Strategy:

Hello! I actually need help with my deck.. This is designed to be a Poli Family Attackers, while Auroruses are on the Bench to give support to Poli-Family, while having Politoed on the Bench as well. I have Chansey with Nap to be a wall whenever I try to set up and I have Glaceon for additional to fight off Grass Types because Glaceon has the Steel Weakness. I put Raichu in there so that whenever I can set him early by just having to use 2 Fossil Researchers, I can give a good 80 Damage (100 if I have someone on the last slot of the Bench) I only have limited cards but I really want to build up this kind of deck. If it is not advisable, please do let me know and please tell me what I can do to improve my deck.

Here are my spare cards:

Poliwrath x2
Aurorus x1
Froakie x2
Frogadier x2
Greninja x1
Electabuzz x3
Electivire x2
Pachirisu x2
Frillish x1
Jellicent x1
Krabby x1
Kingler x1
Raichu x1
Clauncher x2
Clawtizer x1
Plusle x1
Minun x1
Pikachu x1
Joltik x2
Blissey x1
Electric Energy x2
Potion x2
Robo Substitute x1
Tool Retriever x2
Hand Scope x1

Thank you so much and I would appreciate the help! Please make my deck usable :( I will be competing for the very first time on January 4 in a small competition.

RE: Poli-Family/Aurorus Deck

-1 Eevee (2-2 is better than 3-2)
-1 Chansey (Really not good)
-1 Water Energy (Don't need that much)
+2 Potion (Healing)
+1 Robo Sub (Stalling)

Also, you should take out the Eevee and Glaceon if you ever get some better trainers, particularly more Fossil Researcher. Also, do you have any [more] supporters, tools or stadiums?

bbninjas said:
+2 Potion (Healing)
+1 Robo Sub (Stalling)

Also, you should take out the Eevee and Glaceon if you ever get some better trainers, particularly more Fossil Researcher. Also, do you have any [more] supporters, tools or stadiums?

I will do this! :) Sounds really nice! I have someone who has the Pokemon stadium card that gives +30 (or +20) to the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Pokemon. I can add those and I do believe I have 2 more Fossil Researchers that I can buy from the same person! :) What cards do you recommend? I may have to ask someone if he has it and buy it off him if he does.

Berdish said:
bbninjas said:
+2 Potion (Healing)
+1 Robo Sub (Stalling)

I will do this! :) Sounds really nice! I have someone who has the Pokemon stadium card that gives +30 (or +20) to the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Pokemon. I can add those and I do believe I have 2 more Fossil Researchers that I can buy from the same person! :) What cards do you recommend? I may have to ask someone if he has it and buy it off him if he does.

The stadium and the Fossil Researcher are definitely suggested. Here's some of my suggestions assuming you have the cards:

-1 Poliwag (stick with 3-3-3)
-1 Poliwhirl (stick with 3-3-3)
-3 Eevee (Not that great)
-2 Glaceon (Not that great)
-1 Pikachu (Chubchoo gets Arourus' boost)
-1 Raichu (Beartic gets Arourus' boost)
-3 Sail Fossil (Only run Fossil Reasearchers)
-4 Energy Search (Not superior)
-2 Potion (Not too great)
-2 Full Heal (Not too great)
-2 Pokeball (Not superior)
-1 Maintenance (Not good)
-4 Electric Energy (Really no need for electric energy)
+1 Poliwrath (More damage)
+2 Chubchoo (Superior)
+2 Beartic FuF (Superior)
+2 Fossil Researcher (Cpnsistency)
+4 Professor Sycamore (Draw support)
+3 N (Draw Support)
+2 Colress (Draw support)
+3 Ultra Ball (Superior)
+2 VS Seeker (Great card)
+3 Muscle Band (Great tool)
+3 Training Center (Great Stadium)

bbninjas said:
Berdish said:

The stadium and the Fossil Researcher are definitely suggested. Here's some of my suggestions assuming you have the cards:

-1 Poliwag (stick with 3-3-3)
-1 Poliwhirl (stick with 3-3-3)
-3 Eevee (Not that great)
-2 Glaceon (Not that great)
-1 Pikachu (Chubchoo gets Arourus' boost)
-1 Raichu (Beartic gets Arourus' boost)
-3 Sail Fossil (Only run Fossil Reasearchers)
-4 Energy Search (Not superior)
-2 Potion (Not too great)
-2 Full Heal (Not too great)
-2 Pokeball (Not superior)
-1 Maintenance (Not good)
-4 Electric Energy (Really no need for electric energy)
+1 Poliwrath (More damage)
+2 Chubchoo (Superior)
+2 Beartic FuF (Superior)
+2 Fossil Researcher (Cpnsistency)
+4 Professor Sycamore (Draw support)
+3 N (Draw Support)
+2 Colress (Draw support)
+3 Ultra Ball (Superior)
+2 VS Seeker (Great card)
+3 Muscle Band (Great tool)
+3 Training Center (Great Stadium)

Thank you so much for this detailed suggestion! :) Will it be a waste to make my Deck a mix of Electric/Water and just go with pure water instead? (with Ice Pokemon, with different Weakness) I have posted a trade on Facebook and searched for the cards, but mainly the Cubchoo tree since I haven't had the chance to grab that tree and even think about putting them in my deck. I am not really sure if I can get the other Trainers though.. Since they are expensive.. But I hope I can manage some of it.

It would probably be a waste of Aurorus' ability if you include another type. You really need trainers such as Sycamore, N and Colress, although Shauna, Biance, Bicycle and Roller Skates can also be less superior replacements (drawing items can be better in some circumstances, but not really in this deck).
You could have a look at the Xerneas/Yveltal Battle Deck, or the Red Genesect Deck, as both contain many of the staple trainers.

I would play a 4-2-4 with a 2-2 split between Poliwrath and Politoed with Rare Candy if you can manage that. Might even play 3 Poliwrath and 1 or 2 Politoed, but I don't have any personal experience with Poliwrath. Poliwrath really shines because through Politoed, it has access to some decent attacks for little to no Energy. Which is good because it's difficult to load up 4 Energy on a Stage 2. You can use Steamroll for free which can KO most EX's in two hits. And then for 2 Water Energy, you can use Submission, which does a good chunk of damage. I've seen some variants play Celebi EX for its Ability Time Recall to use Poliwhirl's Finishing Blow attack, which synergizes well with the 30 snipe damage from Steamroll and provides yet another free attack. What Politoed means for this deck is that you really don't need very many Energy at all. I'd think 10 Water would be sufficient if not too much. You don't need Lightning Energy at all because you'll normally only want to be using Raichu's first attack anyways, which requires only colorless.

Definitely take bbninja's advice about the draw power. Decks use lots and lots of draw to get cards they need into play quickly. I'd say 12 Supporters is the minimum for the competitive lists I see that do well in tournaments. Good luck!

bbninjas said:
It would probably be a waste of Aurorus' ability if you include another type. You really need trainers such as Sycamore, N and Colress, although Shauna, Biance, Bicycle and Roller Skates can also be less superior replacements (drawing items can be better in some circumstances, but not really in this deck).
You could have a look at the Xerneas/Yveltal Battle Deck, or the Red Genesect Deck, as both contain many of the staple trainers.

I got myself a Professional Sycamore! I haven't had the chance to get a Colress or N, but I got Shauna too! I will send over a new list of my Pokemon at the end of this post. I have decided to make a pure Water deck but of course having Pokemon with Steel weakness because they are Ice types. Thank you so much for your help so far! I would love it if you help me more.

Mora said:
I would play a 4-2-4 with a 2-2 split between Poliwrath and Politoed with Rare Candy if you can manage that. Might even play 3 Poliwrath and 1 or 2 Politoed, but I don't have any personal experience with Poliwrath. Poliwrath really shines because through Politoed, it has access to some decent attacks for little to no Energy. Which is good because it's difficult to load up 4 Energy on a Stage 2. You can use Steamroll for free which can KO most EX's in two hits. And then for 2 Water Energy, you can use Submission, which does a good chunk of damage. I've seen some variants play Celebi EX for its Ability Time Recall to use Poliwhirl's Finishing Blow attack, which synergizes well with the 30 snipe damage from Steamroll and provides yet another free attack. What Politoed means for this deck is that you really don't need very many Energy at all. I'd think 10 Water would be sufficient if not too much. You don't need Lightning Energy at all because you'll normally only want to be using Raichu's first attack anyways, which requires only colorless.

Definitely take bbninja's advice about the draw power. Decks use lots and lots of draw to get cards they need into play quickly. I'd say 12 Supporters is the minimum for the competitive lists I see that do well in tournaments. Good luck!

Hello Mora! :) Thank you very much for helping me! I have improved my deck from the last time and I even managed to get Shauna, Tierno and Professor Sycamore which made my deck quite a bit better in my opinion and experience. I have a new set of cards on my deck as well. I hope you can give me a review on this since I have REMOVED Pikachu Line and decided to go pure water (with 2 weaknesses) but I would love to hear from you and bbninja if I should continue using Raichu but without adding Electric energies so that I can just rely on him for the first attack. Thank you so much, and here's the picture of my new deck ;)

http://imgur.com/Vb1sVoT,ZSCypQO#0

I hope you guys can help me modify my deck further since I got some new ones! :)

I'm happy to continue giving feedback; sorry it's taken quite a while for me to get back to you.

I updated your original post with your deck list from the link, but you should probably make sure it's accurate because I had a little trouble seeing the cards in the pictures. Updating lists with the changes made just makes it easier for other users to keep track of what your current deck list is when giving advice. It's a good idea to do this in the future.

As far as actual suggestions go, you have way too many Pokemon and not enough Trainers and Supporters. I stand by what I said earlier. You need a lot of draw power, and you should be able to notice your set up speeds and overall consistency increase. A good place to start would be to take out the Greninja stuff and then the Eeveelutions for draw Supporters as you get a hold of them. N, Sycamore, Skyla. Try to get some of these when you can as they are very playable in almost every deck and really good.

Back