Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
What about special expansions like Detective Pikachu and Celebrations?
Pokémon TCG cards from the Detective Pikachu expansion are transferrable and playable in Pokémon TCG Live at launch. The Celebrations expansion is also transferrable and playable at launch, with the exception of cards from the Classic Collection within the Celebrations expansion, which are transferrable at launch but will not be playable until future Pokémon TCG Live game updates.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... So many questions. But in short, I'm assuming the playable cards will only be those that are BW-on. But if the Classic Collection cards that aren't playable exist in this game just for collection's sake, then why can't the HGSS sets transfer over just for collection's sake???

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
I get the mobile version may needs this, but why make the desktop version have those square, textless little cards just like it is on Arena?
Because then you'd have to program and code TWO separate displays for the battlefield, for each game objects, for each card on there. One for the mobile client, one for the PC client. Moreover, they opted to make the mobile version portrait (I guess to follow Duel Links), so they already have to program a dyanimic UI system that changes depending on your device. They just standardized the battlefield display so they dont have to deal with that shenanigans, which is understandable.

I agree that the PC display is a bit barren, but well, that's just what happens when you want to optimize for mobile with the same client.

Personally I'm down with this new client. Graphical jank aside I'd still be playing the same game, and with the new Credits system hopefully I don't have to experience trading buttloads of packs just to get one card I'm missing for a deck.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Jeebus...I really like my HGSS cards and a lot were hard to get!
I think I'm done. I think I'm just going to sell my codes on ebay from now on. They just sucked the little bit of enjoyment I was still getting from PTCGO right out. Might as well just drop the "T."

EdGeorge92

Aspiring Trainer
I honestly don't know how to feel. PTCGO was the catalyst for getting me back into the TCG back in the early B&W era. It means a lot to me.

It's amazing that it has lasted 10 years, and I am pleased that TPCi continues to invest heavily in an online TCG game, but I would be lying if I wasn't disappointed that we aren't getting a like-for-like replacement.

I live for the legacy format on PTCGO and I think the HGSS-B&W era was one of the best we've had in recent memory. I will miss those decks.

The lack of trading seems like an odd choice, but let's not pretend PTCGO's system is any good. 1 Pack of XYZ for my SR Rainbow VMax... no thanks! They should've made it much better or canned it years ago IMO. I think the exclusion will hurt the game ultimately, but maybe we won't miss it as much as we think

Ultimately, this is good news and there was never going to be a great time for the loyal PTCGO base to hear that it's going. Thank you PTCGO for getting me back into this great game all those years ago. I will miss you.

autogatos

Aspiring Trainer
I’m mostly happy about this! the credit system honestly seems like it’ll make it easier to build decks, as all those extra common cards we get that are currently useless will now be able to be exchanged for credits! I do wonder whether extras in our current collection will be converted to credits on transfer or if those are just gone?

Mistwalker

Master of Martial Arts
So happy for this! I still wish the avatar's would look well...more anime-like, similar to the games or show. But still, I've been dying for a client upgrade and boom, here it is

Mistwalker

Master of Martial Arts
I honestly don't know how to feel. PTCGO was the catalyst for getting me back into the TCG back in the early B&W era. It means a lot to me.

It's amazing that it has lasted 10 years, and I am pleased that TPCi continues to invest heavily in an online TCG game, but I would be lying if I wasn't disappointed that we aren't getting a like-for-like replacement.

I live for the legacy format on PTCGO and I think the HGSS-B&W era was one of the best we've had in recent memory. I will miss those decks.

The lack of trading seems like an odd choice, but let's not pretend PTCGO's system is any good. 1 Pack of XYZ for my SR Rainbow VMax... no thanks! They should've made it much better or canned it years ago IMO. I think the exclusion will hurt the game ultimately, but maybe we won't miss it as much as we think

Ultimately, this is good news and there was never going to be a great time for the loyal PTCGO base to hear that it's going. Thank you PTCGO for getting me back into this great game all those years ago. I will miss you.
I agree although about trading I would say good riddance. It had its pros but plenty of flaws as well. The biggest one being x card that happens to be super popular are selling for 24 packs per pop. So for a playset it would cost you a whopping 96 booster packs. Just for 4 cards. If you buy all of those packs online, it would be at least 50 bucks. Again, just for 4 cards. At least with the new system (theoretically speaking) you can earn those same 4 cards for in-game currency. However we still need to see how that works exactly or how long it takes to accumulate enough currency.

Mesiia

Aspiring Trainer
I'm surprised by the backlash in here, to a degree. Do some people actually want to continue with PTCGO forever?

The avatars are jank, without a doubt, but not worse than the current system. They're both pretty awful, but completely ignorable. One is fixable.

HGSS removal? Unfortunate at best, terrible at worst. Will definitely hurt feelings and ruin some collections (rip COL energies). rip my collection of all 2011/2012 max rarity tournament winning decks. It's whatever. Could be even worse if they announce that vivid boxes/sleeves are not transferring. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably aren't, but let's leave that alone for now. This should not be a dealbreaker. If you're playing PTCGO exclusively for Legacy format, then I feel bad for you and you'll have to move to TCGOne. It might not be too late though, we can at least try to give feedback about it, especially considering B&W cards are being included still. On a similar note, I have no idea what's going to happen with my copies Tropical Beach and frankly, if I have to pay the price of losing them (or making them borderline-worthless) to get a client that's not absolute dog, then make it so.

Other than these two things, there's absolutely nothing that should be upsetting about this update. PTCGO has been a terrible 'game' for years and years. It's been a tool, a convenience platform, a stop-gap. People who wanted to 'play the game' kept their own interest by collecting "400 Hatterene V" or the psycho collectors who endeavored to hunt down a tradable copy of every single openable pack, toolkit, tin, theme deck, etc. that was ever in the game. That's not designed gameplay, that's self-imposed achievement hunting. You can do that with any game ever made; try to beat Legend of Zelda with only bombs, get the world record speedrun on Strider. There will be options to do stuff like that on Live too, without a doubt. Losing these things permanently feels bad, but it's an inevitability; this is a platform

The new client is the stepping stone to an actual game platform that can be refined, updated, and polished to meet demands and properly support modern systems and continue to support them moving forward. One minor example that I think is a microcosm of the PTCGO platform, and one that most people just ignore and/or forget is that the PTCGO client literally cannot draw itself in windowed mode accurately to an actual full screen on its own; it always overlaps pixels and has to be moved manually. Problem has existed for as long as the game has had it's own standalone client, but applications have been able to do this functionality properly since Windows 95, natively. There are so many minor architectural flaws with the current client that it would be senseless to continue to support it.

There are tons of features that likely will not be included at launch, but that could be added in the future. Imagine support for old formats dating back to Gen 3. Could definitely be done in generational queues, with all cards being part of the 'battle pass' or an additional DLC. Support for large scale tournaments? Imagine a regional level tournament able to be hosted within the client itself. That could be doable. Support for sealed matchmaking. Support for TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION to mitigate the risk of you losing your entire account. Support for a wide array of vanity items and promotional extras more frequently. Aside from the last point, all of these things are an absolute pipe-dream on an antiquated, unsupported platform that doesn't make the company that owns it even a cent of revenue. A platform that directly makes more money has the ability to create jobs to meet demand, and put out more content to continue to meet player desire. If they don't update, they'll be mocked and fade away; similarly to how PTCGO has been for the past few years. Without covid lockdowns, PTCGO would've been the same old often-mocked, often-forgotten, fade-away software that it's been for the past 3+ years.

As far as trading, don't even get me started on how unbearably awful the trading system has become. If you combined the playerbase of 5 years ago + the current feature where the list doesn't reset after accepting a trade, it could pass I think. However, things are way out of control now. There's a database somewhere that is literally screaming and crying 24/7 while PTCGO gets boiled to the brim with dozens of power sellers posting hundreds of trades daily, with more people than ever before looking at them and posting more trades of their own to try to undercut just a little bit to get what they need, while it takes 5+ minutes just to load the list far enough to see the most recent posted listings as to not have to get completely ripped off just to find a single Flaaffy. Come to think of it, it was actually never good at all. It was a janky mess put together that 'worked' to a degree but had such terrible bones it could never be fleshed out to be a fun feature.

If you've played this game for a long time, it sounds like you'll have the world and then some when this new client comes out, and we don't even know everything yet. Be patient and embrace positive proactive changes, even if some of the losses seem heavy now.

Last edited:

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
I can't name any websites since I'm pretty sure that counts as advertising, but remember that there are free, convenient, safe, fun alternatives that let you use all cards from across the game's history, play every format, use the chat function, and they don't feel like a single player game

FairyLandAlice

Aspiring Trainer
The problem here is really simple:

Which is better, a free market where people decide the prices, and where currency can be bought at reasonable prices in eBay or from private sellers? Or a private market where a private company just willing to milk as much money as possible decides the prices?

I think the answer is clear. Prepare to grind to the death or to go bankrupt people.

Mesiia

Aspiring Trainer
The problem here is really simple:

Which is better, a free market where people decide the prices, and where currency can be bought at reasonable prices in eBay or from private sellers? Or a private market where a private company just willing to milk as much money as possible decides the prices?

I think the answer is clear. Prepare to grind to the death or to go bankrupt people.
This is simply not an accurate take. You can still buy codes from ebay or private sellers, so the first market you describe will see minor inflation at worst, which is already happening because of popularity. Pack prices IRL will not be affected by this market, and codes in bulk are still going to sell as an undercut as much as they can to get rid of them to get some return on their initial investment of cases of cards. Code prices might be higher initially when the new-thing-popularity is high when the app releases, but they'll go back down after the honeymoon phase. It also sets a ceiling -- if packs are $1 online, that's the highest they could ever possibly be, period.

In this new system, all that's given are additional options to acquire digital product.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Nice to see the online card game actually being brought bang up to date, but it still sucks that a few aspects (like trading) are being left behind, that and the unopened items won't move over as well.

I'm sitting on a literal mountain of digital Battle Styles packs, so I might as well leave them unopened to get the maximum amount of credits (Got like 160-170 last time I checked) XD