'Pokemon TCG Raid Battle' Game Play Style Announced!

The Almighty Bidoof

Just your everyday MtF trans Bidoof worshipper
If they put this on PTCGO I could see people speedrunning. Just using like Charizard VMAX and Sableye V to get an easy immediate win

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Just figured out an easy way to clear these raids. Just use Raticate from Boundaries Crossed.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
I can't see this format having any longevity at all. Even for younger children, there are so many better options for entertainment that I don't expect this to have any kind of life beyond the first couple of days after release.

Everyone's been mentioning Raticate BCR as a way to win, but Beedrill TEU should also work with some support from the other players (although I'd be interested to see what the ruling is on one-hit knock outs in general, such as Yveltal-GX FLI, Absol GRI, or Pinsir TEU)

Flash~ZT0

Aspiring Trainer
I checked their youtube channel, but there's nothing there about it. I just want to read the comment section there.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Kind of wished that this format actually used the full Pokemon TCG deck with trainers and energy, and instead of prize cards and a prize deck, if the Gigantamax Pokemon knocks one of your pokemon out, you get a Knock Out counter. Get 6 of those, you are eliminated. The Level of the Gigantamax Pokemon depends on the number of players facing it.

Another thing is, they should make a physical box set of this.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Kind of wished that this format actually used the full Pokemon TCG deck with trainers and energy, and instead of prize cards and a prize deck, if the Gigantamax Pokemon knocks one of your pokemon out, you get a Knock Out counter. Get 6 of those, you are eliminated. The Level of the Gigantamax Pokemon depends on the number of players facing it.

Another thing is, they should make a physical box set of this.
There has actually been a similar game mode in Magic, where one player gets to be the "Boss" and fights multiple opponents by drawing random boosts from a separate deck. That would probably need some reworking to fit the Pokemon rules, but there's a possibility for designing some absolutely overpowered, GX-like effects.
[EDIT] Oh, they've actually made this mode playable entirely through a Javascript site? Now that gives me ideas.

Last edited:

ht14

Substitute Trainer
Say what you will about this mode, but it seems kinda interesting, albeit simplified. It kinda reminds me of Castle Panic in the drawing aspect... in any case the one thing that does disappoint though is the fact that it's only Pikachu VMax and Drednaw VMax. Where's the Charizard VMax? /sarcasm but really though, kinda sad that there's only those two Pokémon as options. I think it holds some potential.

I imagine that effects for cards like Raticate from BCR would be disabled. *shrug*

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Say what you will about this mode, but it seems kinda interesting, albeit simplified. It kinda reminds me of Castle Panic in the drawing aspect... in any case the one thing that does disappoint though is the fact that it's only Pikachu VMax and Drednaw VMax. Where's the Charizard VMax? /sarcasm but really though, kinda sad that there's only those two Pokémon as options. I think it holds some potential.

I imagine that effects for cards like Raticate from BCR would be disabled. *shrug*
maybe theyll add more late

fleshrum

Cephalophore
my friends and I made something similar which is much more complicated despite being automated. This is a hard pass for me.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
This is actually fantastic idea for kids! There are plenty of kids who can play the proper TCG very well, sure, but there are even more kids who would never want to or be able to play the official game. Those are the kids who find blowing things up in Minecraft much more fun than making stuff, so using their best Pokemon to team up and destroy something with crazy HP would be a ton of fun for them.

It's a good entry level game that takes away some of the more complicated elements (i.e. hand, discard, energy), while still introducing concepts like the Bench, Knock Outs, and the potency of non-damage effects. They should've introduced Cheer cards as Trainer cards instead of making up this new term, so that's a bit of a missed opportunity there.

Obviously it's not intended to be a legitimate TCG format, I'm not sure why people are treating it as such >.>

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Pikachu Vmax has 2800 HP which is perfect for stall or mill decks!! And the fact that it doesn't need any energy to use its attacks makes it even more broken!! It might even fit into Zekachu or Boltund V decks.
Can't wait until this comes out in Darkness Ablaze or later sets!

And Raticate (Boundaries Crossed) already rotated out of Standard format, so don't worry about it ;)

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Pikachu Vmax has 2800 HP which is perfect for stall or mill decks!! And the fact that it doesn't need any energy to use its attacks makes it even more broken!! It might even fit into Zekachu or Boltund V decks.
Can't wait until this comes out in Darkness Ablaze or later sets!

And Raticate (Boundaries Crossed) already rotated out of Standard format, so don't worry about it ;)
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh