DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
sure but not like as bad as China
In the context of this conversation, absolutely. The English edition of Pokémon cards, games, anime has tons of examples of censorship. It's not really to defend the Chinese culture or otherwise so much as to point out what seems strange and unusual to us can seem normal to others, and vice versa.

LightYearLiam

Removing those words from video games aims to prevent potential bad influence to children. It's reasonable policy, although not satisfying all fans of certain game.
It is not reasonable in any way, shape, or form. The government having this level of control over children's minds is far more scary to me than the supposed "bad influence" of these "bad" words, which is in all likelihood completely nonexistent.

Deikun

Aspiring Trainer
Things could get interesting when they translate Hisui over to Simplified Chinese. Hisui in Simplified Chinese, 洗翠, looks a lot like "Xi" and "Die" combined. Talk about a silver lining when it comes to accidental poltical statements in our beloved franchise. 😅

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
It is not reasonable in any way, shape, or form. The government having this level of control over children's minds is far more scary to me than the supposed "bad influence" of these "bad" words, which is in all likelihood completely nonexistent.
People have logical reasoning, critical thinking capabilities. No one can take that gift away. The problem is why do people conform with what their government tells them to do? Why do the military of China conform to these tyrannical rules? Could it brainwashing? No. If that is the case, then a couple of friend of mine who were born and raised from a strict religious family would never get themselves out. There is no reason for me to follow pokemon anymore, to conduct business with fascist government have completely lost my respect. Goodbye pokemon, it was fun while it lasted.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Removing those words from video games aims to prevent potential bad influence to children. It's reasonable policy, although not satisfying all fans of certain game.
Lol that's ridiculous, for centuries children have managed to deal with concepts like death, poison, ghosts, etc., and they have never grown for the worse. It's not like they're censoring racism, sexism or anything of the sort, it's just stuff that goes contrary to the tenets of the CCP like the acknowledgment that "ghosts" are a concept that has existed in plenty of mythologies.

LightYearLiam

If this is the standard on whether or not a Country should get Pokémon Cards, America should have been cut off from Day 1. Chill.
I never said they shouldn't get Pokemon cards. And why can't I complain about something being bad without people being like "but other things are bad too!!"? There's nothing wrong with being horrified by extreme government censorship.

I agree with your username, tho.