Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The Pokemon Company has announced the Pokemon TCG will soon be printed in a new language: Simplified Chinese! The language is used for mainland China, which means the Pokemon TCG is going to capture a massive new market. Pokemon launched a Traditional Chinese version of the TCG for Hong Kong and Taiwan in October 2019.

Pokemon-TCG-Traditional-Chinese-300x140.jpg

The announcement was made through Pokemon China’s website. They will be holding a press conference on September 28th via China’s Bilibili app, which is China’s version of YouTube. Presumably they will announce the first products.
We can confirm China will start with the Sun & Moon series. The rumor mill for this news story started back in February when we discovered Nintendo had filed trademarks for the Pokemon TCG in mainland China. This included “Sun & Moon” and “Crossing the Sky,” both of which...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
It will be interesting, also for international collectors, to see how the card quality will be. The tradional Chinese cards from Taiwan have the same quality as the Japanese cards and I believe they are printed in Japan. Meanwhile Korean cards have lower quality and different pull rates and I would assume that the simplified Chinese cards will be printed in mainland China, because that should be cheaper and the potential market and amount of cards that can be sold is huge, if they are cheap. Because "fake" cards in China cost only a few % of the real cards in other countries.

Nintenfreak

Aspiring Trainer
Something that's wild to me is that like several Pokemon have had their Chinese names changed but we still got Victreebel and Feraligatr here in 2022

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I find so funny how childish some demands from the insane dictatorship are, like, removing references such as the word "toxic". Like...what? Do they fear reading the word will somehow awake people to their toxic reality? Pretty sure they don't need a subconscious trigger from reading a word in a card game to realize that...

Last edited:

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
The bans on specific words reminds me of the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles as “Ninja” was seen as a violent word.

Attachments

• 7F5A8490-AAA1-4712-B2D4-2E3727A5B129.jpeg
    7F5A8490-AAA1-4712-B2D4-2E3727A5B129.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

TheNidoKing

Aspiring Trainer
"The Chinese Communist Party bans movies about ghosts and time travel as part of a censorship regime that stifles criticism."

I thought Ghosts were banned in China, what does that mean for Pokemon.
Ghastly, Haunter, Spiritomb, Phantump, Trevenant, Duskull, Dusclops, Gourgeist…imagine an international Pokémon community which has to deal with a country in which certain cards are banned for cultural reasons.

Fawnlily

Aspiring Trainer
Kinda wish those images were translated; curious to know what the Chinese names are
I found this about it, not sure about the others,

Hooligan Panda ( liúmáng xióngmāo), a fighting-type Pokémon that resembles a giant panda, is now being called Domineering Panda ( bàdào xióngmāo).

Thief Fox ( tōuérhú), a creature that survives off its ill-gotten gains in the world of Pokémon, was renamed as Cunning Little Fox ( jiǎoxiǎohú). Bandit Fox ( húdàdào) has been rebranded as Cunning Big Fox ( huádàhú).

Fawnlily

Aspiring Trainer
Ghastly, Haunter, Spiritomb, Phantump, Trevenant, Duskull, Dusclops, Gourgeist…imagine an international Pokémon community which has to deal with a country in which certain cards are banned for cultural reasons.
They already censor the card game internationally to remove things like religious references. The game corners were also been removed from the mainline games due to Europeon and Australian video game rating guidelines.

Luke Skywalker

Expanded Best Format
I find so funny how childish some demands from the insane dictatorship are, like, removing references such as the word "toxic". Like...what? Do they fear reading the word will somehow awake people to their toxic reality? Pretty sure they don't need a subconscious trigger from reading a word in a card game to realize that...
Yeh it's interesting how a government that tries to ban speech looks silly.

Sword.N

Aspiring Trainer
Removing those words from video games aims to prevent potential bad influence to children. It's reasonable policy, although not satisfying all fans of certain game.

j2y8n2x

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder if that means players in Hong Kong could play official tournaments with Simplified Chinese cards at all.
Right now, we can choose to play in Chinese or English, but have to register separately and may not switch language once we registered. This divides us into 2 groups.
So I wonder if we'll be separated into 3 groups, or just 2 groups in the future.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Imagine being finally able to play Pokémon Cards in your country 20+ years later after their release