Pokemon Catcher

If you're so worried, then quit

Everything you post is about how bad the game is, how its going in the wrong direction and its getting boring watching you moan and complain like a child.

You're over looking the fact that catcher can counter catcher, they catcher you so you catcher to remove there active and buy time, as for vileplume any deck relying on trainer lock next format will fail it worked when we had spiritomb because you hard trainer from turn 1 and could set up all at once, now for speed your going to have to run a half trainer build which will lead to a heap of dead draws or your deck stalling out.

The Pain said:

Everything you post is about how bad the game is, how its going in the wrong direction and its getting boring watching you moan and complain like a child.

You're over looking the fact that catcher can counter catcher, they catcher you so you catcher to remove there active and buy time, as for vileplume any deck relying on trainer lock next format will fail it worked when we had spiritomb because you hard trainer from turn 1 and could set up all at once, now for speed your going to have to run a half trainer build which will lead to a heap of dead draws or your deck stalling out.
I applaud your wisdom, sir. Nobody on these forums seem to realize this.

The Pain said:

I'm not going to quit the Pokemon TCG because of Pokemon Catcher not like my friend qnetykz
Post - Black/White: Emerging Powers, I think this can be resolved If TPCI/P!P steps up and bans or erratas the card itself but If not then oh well I'll learn to deal with it like everyone else unless something needs to be done by TPCI/P!P to fix the game, plus the game survived 10 years ago when Gust of Wind was still Modified legal so the same can be said for Pokemon Catcher as well.

I let the hype get the best of me and it's caused resentment towards me I get it. I tried to explain why Catcher was bad for the format but nobody cares anyway, it's not like I intended to argue like this but it's because I care for this TCG it's amazing, I really like what HGSS-On has to offer and it's arguably my 2nd favorite format next to Diamond/Pearl-On before Platinum Base Set came out. So yeah I apologize to anyone I've caused any trouble. I'm done complaining it's already time for me to move on and enjoy one of the last TCG's I cherish.

I don't think it is going to change all that much. All Pokemon Catcher is, is a Reversal without the coin flip.

I'm not too overly concerned with it personally

A Reversal without a flip is a huge deal. A guaranteed switch to a benched Pokemon of your choosing means you get to snipe tech cards and basics. There were many times at Nats where my opponent had a sleeping baby and I tried to Reversal up their Magnemite, Tepig or Yanma for the KO but missed the flip and then they got completely set up next turn.

Catcher also doesn't require you to burn a Junk Arm just for the chance for a forced switch. There are many things a Junk Arm could be saved up for other than a Reversal.

SMP said:
A Reversal without a flip is a huge deal. A guaranteed switch to a benched Pokemon of your choosing means you get to snipe tech cards and basics. There were many times at Nats where my opponent had a sleeping baby and I tried to Reversal up their Magnemite, Tepig or Yanma for the KO but missed the flip and then they got completely set up next turn.

Catcher also doesn't require you to burn a Junk Arm just for the chance for a forced switch. There are many things a Junk Arm could be saved up for other than a Reversal.

This. A sleeping baby combined with a tails is two prizes gone, effectively - minus one prize for that turn, and minus one prize for killing the baby later on.

SMP said:

I suppose that could be true. Well, this could just mean more vileplume decks could pop up then.

Again, personally I don't fear the collector as I already run a deck with vileplume in it, so even now I have nothing to fear from reversals, switches or junkarms, and that's not really going to change next set as the only difference will be replacing my stage 2 line with a better stage 1 line.

We'll see though. If the meta's change because of this, I'm actually all for it. Maybe there won't be so many reshiboar, reshiplosion and ZPS decks afterward.

Catcher is going to replace reversal in any deck that was running reversals before. It may make people run more Junk Arm if they really want to use it. But with catcher the amount of trainerlock should go up too.

vileplume wont help. They will catcher up oddish before it have a chance to go to plume. Only thing that made Vileplume good has Spritomb

Catcher will remove so much luck from the game. This luck includes baby flips and reversal fips. When you lay down basics you will have to plan onloosing that one basic no matter what. NOt a I'll hope they flip tails bullshit that happened all nationals. skill will be back. THank goodness.

^That's perfectly true. No more will people be bitter over flips on Reversal, which can make a 2-prize difference early game, and obviously the game in the end. At least that's one positive.

But it's true that Vileplume isn't quite as good as it seems. With no Spiritomb, to keep up with the meta, any deck with Vileplume must run some Trainers, which will become dead draws late-game. So you're stuck between running few Trainers and having a slow, arduous set-up and running many trainers, rendering much of your deck completely useless (not even Junk Arm fodder!) later. Your choice.

Scizorliscious said:
^That's perfectly true. No more will people be bitter over flips on Reversal, which can make a 2-prize difference early game, and obviously the game in the end. At least that's one positive.

But it's true that Vileplume isn't quite as good as it seems. With no Spiritomb, to keep up with the meta, any deck with Vileplume must run some Trainers, which will become dead draws late-game. So you're stuck between running few Trainers and having a slow, arduous set-up and running many trainers, rendering much of your deck completely useless (not even Junk Arm fodder!) later. Your choice.

Then obviously people who try to run Vileplume now are running it wrong.

I have never used Vileplume with Spiritomb and just built a deck with vileplume the weekend of Nats (didn't go, went to league instead) and went 3-1 against people who were mirror decking the winning decks from Nats and Canadian Nats. Every game had vileplume up turn 2-3 without hurting setup.

It's irrelevant to complain about this card, really. It's here, and its not going anywhere for a LONG time. Theres nothing that is going to do anything about it other than vileplume.

I'm gonna keep running my vileplume deck and see what happens, but most likely nothings going to really change. If they catcher the oddish, then oh well thats why I don't run just one. All that means is they wasted a catcher, and likely a junk arm and two cards to get it back, on a 40 HP pokemon that can be replaced or FSL if needed.

Does anyone think a deck with the psychic metagross could see play post-catcher? Slap a psychic on a benched mon and it has free retreat as long as metagross is in play. Comboed with Mismagius UL the only thing catcher can do is KO weak basics. Of course, metagross runs into the same problem as vileplume-being a stage 2, the basics can be catchered and killed T1.

Dark Void said:
Does anyone think a deck with the psychic metagross could see play post-catcher? Slap a psychic on a benched mon and it has free retreat as long as metagross is in play. Comboed with Mismagius UL the only thing catcher can do is KO weak basics. Of course, metagross runs into the same problem as vileplume-being a stage 2, the basics can be catchered and killed T1.
Which is hard without zekrom really. Also taking in mind the chance of even drawing catcher from the deck.

vileplume is easy to get up if you run sunflora, every trainer based deck ive played against with this combo has had seroius trouble(obviously)

I want to have your opinion on this because I have no idea what the outcome will be. How do you think catcher will affect lock-based deck like weavile ambipom or weavile persian? They will benefit in getting easier kos after the lock is established and can now reliably bring up a half setup main attack but the opponent can now catcher up their slowking and disrupt their setup.

Bwaaaa

I just realized something, If you're going up against a deck whose Pokemon have
all free retreat then what's the point of playing Catcher especially If they're running Yanmega Prime and Switches unless they go full Mew Prime with Yanmega Prime?

I was playing against a friend of mine who ran MewMega and once used See Off on Jumpluff he literally swept the board throughout the entire game, Mass Attack, Donk,
Mass Attack, Donk, Mass Attack, and so on.

Reason why I lost is because I was running the wrong kind of energies to keep up being Special Dark and I needed Rainbow Energies so that I could use Lost Link to copy his Jumpluff's Mass Attack with my Mew Prime to donk like crazy. Only downside is being 10 damage shy of donking Reshiram and Zekrom with Zoroark using Foul Play cause of the Special Dark boost unless I run 16 energies when most decks usually run 12 max.

Point of catcher against a deck with free retreat is to catcher up lower hp pokemon for easier KOs.

Back