Pokemon Announces Legal Action Against Counterfeit Cards on Auction Platforms

The fact that people still can't tell the difference between fake & real cards in 2023 baffles me lollll
Thats pretty common, speacially with young kids and their parents and happens SPECIALLY in 2023, that the card prices spiked and the bootleg cards are getting better and better. I hate intellectual property, and i love the fan made cards, but i think its a fair measure against prints that can destroy collectibles market and the rare cards value. I think that tpci should implement a security system in cards, just like in money bills.

Last edited:
I recently did a Pokemon "How To" at a local library. It kind of devolved (I'm doing an actual How To Play in November), and let me tell you: the faces of the kids and their parents when I explained to each and every one of them that they had counterfeit cards. The despair, the defeat, the depression. Some of those families had spent decent money on those cards.

(Also I explicitly told the kids NOT to trade...and what did one kid do? I knew he was going to be a problem child, and it actually became a legal problem, as the kid traded his fake Charizard to another kid, claiming it was real. It's no longer my problem but I hope that other kid got his cards back...)

Man maybe don't price your fancy pants cards so expensive. Better hurry and get the Pikachu BW77 and Raichu BW78 replicas I want then, hate that hole in my binder.

While I have no sympathy for people selling the cheap crap in farmer's markets, TPCI has to realize that they are responsible for a lot of this problem by artificially limiting supply and doing little to stop (and sometimes even encouraging) scalping. There's a reason why people are rising up to take advantage of the demand, and while the dishonest ones should be punished I don't see anything wrong with people selling "replicas" as long as these problems persist.

Back