#pokebeach

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
All right, everypony. I've got a question for you all to post your input on.

Should we get rid of the chat room?

Raikou says he has spoken to some of you about what we should do with it. I'd like to hear some of your opinions on the matter.

Bias aside (because I run it), I want the chat room to stay because I see it as an easy-to-access place where friends can come and congregate.

For those who have been around a while, you may remember that we used to use it for trivia and other fun things. Would you guys be interested in trying to bring something like that back? If so, I'll look into it.

I'm interested in hearing opinions from those who think we should get rid of the chat room. Why do you feel that way? What would you like to see changed? Would implementing those changes help change your mind about keeping the chat room?

Let's talk.

Chatbeach is very different from PokéBeach Forums. The community is different and it actually supplies a very cool hang-out place. Chatbeach is far more intelligent than PokéBeach Forums as a whole, but it does attract more actual trolls than PokéBeach Forums. Moreover, it gives n00bs a comparison point between us and Serebi. Chatbeach will never be our primarily form of social interaction related to Beach, but it should certainly stay. It doesn't cost Jon anything, so what's the harm? Unless there is harm, there is zero reason to remove it.

There have been talks of removing it. I wasn't part of these talks; only aware they existed.

That's why I want to hear from someone who does think it should be removed :)

I would love to see the staff's opinion on why they think they should get rid of the chat room.
EDIT: What I mean is, why even bring it up? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

PB is a very competent place, and the chat room is a nice place to talk about anything and just hang out, even if it isn't all about the TCG and VG. On the note of trivia and other things, that could be very interesting to see back. Possibly even the Werewolf bot. (which I know PMJ has seen, but I just thought of bringing it up).

td;lr Chat is good, trivia and other things are good

Yeah, I'm fully against it. You get to know people better, can have conversations easier, and it's a nice place to hang out.

I too am curious why some think it should be taken down. The only things that come to mind is that it's harder to monitor what people are discussing and enforce rules, but most everyone I've talked to has had no problem with how things go by.

A few months back, activity may have been a factor, but I think the chat has been starting to get more active as of late.

If anything, I'd like to see the chat promoted more. Get our members comfortable with the community, let people make friends easier, and make Pokebeach a tighter community.

As I've said many times, having a sticky containing a mibbit widget would boost activity tremendously.

*Edit* Not to mention - If it was shut down, someone would make another one... The only difference is that we'd only see regulars and not new members.

As many people in my circle know, I'm usually more active via phone and have more frequent access to the forums than chat. However, I still do use the chatroom quite frequently when I have a chance to be online via my local library's wi-fi. I personally feel that it should stay, but if it's been having problems that I'm unaware of, I'm not completely opposed to it being shutdown.

To anyone who is not comfortable with sharing their opinions in public, you can PM me your concerns and I will anonymously share them with the community.

If we get rid of chat we get rid of an easy and fast way for members to communicate, relate, and have an overall great time. Getting rid of chat would essentially erase all of the years of awesome stuff that has happened there.

I say don't get rid of it, but maybe start making a few changes to it. I'm not sure what though.

I would appreciate some people commenting on any specific problems with the chat room they have experienced. If we start there, maybe there can be a solution to why people don't visit as often.

Some of the best things that have ever happened on PokeBeach took place in the chat. In fact, Gale, Zero, RiskBreakers, DNA and many others had the idea of Gale's Improvements thread in the chatroom itself; I was there to see it. Taking it away would be taking away one of the best things this site has to offer.

EDIT: And I don't really see any problems the chat has right now. The staff and rule list are doing fine. Although I wish it could see more activity. It's usually a graveyard most of the time when I log on.

I can say one possible problem is that it just isn't promoted enough. I don't think saying "hey come to the chat room and trade" is going to ever work. We tried it before, both keeping it in the chat room and having its own chat room, but neither were successful at all.

Maybe we just need to market it in a different way?

Promotion ideas:

In-Forum widget (In a thread so it doesn't bother anyone who doesn't want it.

Portal Postings? - Maybe when there's a dry period in forum news we could have a portal post encouraging people to get on the chat and make new friends, discuss stuff, whatever.

Change the link to the chat - No one likes Java. This link takes you straight to #Pokebeach

*Edit* please put this link in your signature to help promote the chat!

(But use URL tags like me to make it pretty)

I think that everyone is aware of #PokeBeach's existence and so it doesn't really need promoting. The main issue with regards to activity is accessibility to newer members-- As we rarely hold Pokemon related activities, it can be hard to find common ground with the PB regulars.

I don't think the situation is that bad though, I think PB chat is pretty rad. I'm not sure what kind of complaints people are having, so we really need to hear the specifics on those before taking action, otherwise we're trying to fix a problem we can't see.

To be honest getting rid of chat is the absolutely, positively, worst decision you could make in the history of anything.

"Transparency problem."
"Should we get rid of the chat room? Since I ask so."
I am beginning to see it too. Reason? None? Right.

I came for the chat and stayed because of the chat. I registered my PB account only since people kept asking me who I am on PB. After a while I got hooked. :B Anyway, my opinion on this should be pretty clear.

But if you remove it, someone just makes another channel. I believe it would even have better operators so yeah.

Chat must stay. It's a place where I got to meet most of my buddies in PB. The Chat was the main reason why I actually stayed this long in the forums. I don't want to elaborate further as to why the chat should stay because everyone has already said the reasons.

@ShadowLugia

PMJ said:
Should we get rid of the chat room?

Worst set of words ever.
The chat gets regular visitors, frequent discussion and much work has been put into it, like the DNAdex or WW.

Promotion of the unofficial skype channel might be needed and, imo, a better alternative to java.

... oh, you were serious about the request to delete the chat room.

Shining Raikou said:
I would appreciate some people commenting on any specific problems with the chat room they have experienced. If we start there, maybe there can be a solution to why people don't visit as often.
The only reason I can think why people don't visit as often is just due to the fact that people in the forums are young, thus they normally don't take the initiative and figure out how to get to the chat on their own. I would also like to point out that dicussions in #pokebeach can have a fast pace and go over the heads of some people.

For me, #pokebeach is a place to discuss misc. topics with the other great members of the forum. I personally wouldn't be so hasty to say inactivity in chat means the chat room is failing. Having a few of the good-mannered, intelligent people in chat is far better than having - say - forty people who would bog up the chat (with poking. Yes, nameless member, I'm looking at you). Advertising the chat room is fine and all, but I'm 100% fine with how the chat room stands.

Back