PokeBeach’s October 2018 PTCGO Tournament, Sponsored by TCGplayer.com!

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Roster

Have you ever gone to a Battle Road (OLD), City (OLD), Challenge, Cup, or Regional and you didn't see your name on the roster? It can happen!

Premium
@Jswoop22
@Jonathan Salazar
@FralPal
@SquirtleRules
@PwnzorProd
@Heviin
@theprp30
@monsterenergy77
@snoopy369
@ICEdaddy
@bidou
@Serperior
@DaLoc
@Kent Freeze
@Robert Fuchs
@Jonnysniper
@Arneboy11
@Nirvandalo
@Holden Sheeks
@Azkryus
@Arnel
@Gengar master
@lildeku
@Plaquesanta
@Doby
@Yoyo Chen
@stevexue
@CaptianTemmo
@JumpluffTCG
@Fou-Link
@Christopher Shehan
@Rizbizkit
@dmode15
@John Creagh
@lamer_v5
@GymLdrJesse
@Timothy Vigil
@Jiayu
@PrimePokeDaddy
@FlixFlex
@TheCraftyScot
@RisingRaichuu
@Vaskemaskinen
@SamuelOak
@MoFoTY86
@NaDreaz
@TorchHG
@F4H_Jay
@Julio Penaloza

Standard
@boyishgoodlooks
@Brancus
@du_megaman
@Hawlucha22
@Matux
@PokemonProGX
@Rezolution
@WindierWeavile
@Pokebait
@Calcab
@Anselm Sim
@Audiofreak19
@JGB146
@Sam V
@Gaijin Trainer
@BSquaredinOK
@K_la
@bst.baws
@shifty14326
@Tri2attack
@FarfetchdFan83
@Jadethepokemontrainer
@lukas2aces
@VuDu-JuJu
@Mistadirtyziggy
@KentGardner
@Sethy79
@InfinityFyre
@GamePhoenix
@MegaAbsol10
@Grounder890
@Primal Latios
@jgpokemonmaster
@ZyriaNova
@ericyo
@Jake_Silberman
@Trent Piland
@birdboy2000
@DeadlyBee111
@harutomato
@NEETLifeGaming
@Scourge188
@Gyarados11
@lukkul

@thembert
@Pokefam
@Kashvinder Mann

Waitlist
@mordacazir
@aggregorpoke
@semurphy444
@TheBossBlastoise
@DrPokeDad
@miggyo0o
@Alucarddvd
@Alongwaytobepro
@AcePlayz
@Uriah Windham
@Shikageru
@mrsodaking
@sw_bionic
@Ari

@Peyton1107

Ya Done Goof'd (did not make 3 non-tournament posts during September)

@IrfanKareem50
@Vysox
@Thehustla703
@kgamer7

Last edited:

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
I remember the first tournament I ever played in. It was back in 2008 in Pennsylvania. When was your first? (If you'd like to answer, do that when you report your match)

Round 1 is GO

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Round 1 Results
@Holden Sheeks over @DeadlyBee111 2-1
G1 - Bee
G2 - Well....this point he had to concede. I would specify the reason, but I don't want to make that reason public. If @PokeMedic has to ask I'll message him personally or he may wish to explain. All I'll say is I wish him good luck in the rest of the tournament.

I remember the first tournament I ever played in. It was back in 2008 in Pennsylvania. When was your first? (If you'd like to answer, do that when you report your match.
Depends on your definition of "first". I'll give 3 categories for this one;

My first tournament that I was ever in was a league challenge at my local league. It was a long while back, all I really remember was the first game where my opponent had a lone Skrelp with 50HP and I opened with Latios-EX from Roaring Skies. I legit had Psychic Energy and Muscle Band in my hand and went for the turn one donk and won that round. I don't think I did well through the rest of the tournament as I had a pretty cruddy deck involving Latios-EX and Salamence (both from Roaring Skies). This was when I was first getting back into the game so I barely had any Pokemon cards (and money) to work with.

My first big tournament was an ARG Circuit Series in February of 2016. Every once in a while I like to bring up this tournament, because it was a major high point for me in the Pokemon TCG, getting 2nd place out of 70 or so people with Solgaleo-GX / Lurantis-GX back when it was a rogue deck. I just did really well in that tournament just trying to be as smart and vigilant about my plays as possible. I remember I had to take on a Mew-EX copying a Glaceon-EX to get protection from evolved pokemon (and I couldn't play items because she was also playing Vileplume), so what I did was go into Shaymin-EX to get a bit of damage off and finish it off with STS Cobalion when I got the chance. That's the notable smart play, and after that 2nd place finish I won a playmat, this neat silver trophy ARG made for us and quite a bit of money. The person who beat me? Andrew Mahone, probably the best player in our area, same guy who host's "Andrew's Tricky Gym", you know him. He even wrote an article about his experience which I was pretty ecstatic to see to get a bit of a nostalgic callback (Got a link for it right here if you're curious). Unfortunately I felt like I had a few behavioral quirks at the tournament which I regret a little, and I took too long to do my turns. Speeding up my play was always something I wanted to improve upon from that point forward as I didn't want to think so slowly, as slow play is against the tournament rules. Other than that though, it was a great experience.

My first official Pokemon TCG Tournament was actually the most recent Intercontinental in Columbus for the previous TCG format. It was only a couple hour drive so for once I had the opportunity to go to a huge tournament like this like I always have wanted (I don't drive, and I have a bit of trouble asking people for rides, so planning these are difficult). My results with a BuzzRoc list were not the greatest, my record was (and I kid you not) 3-1-5, 3 wins, 1 loss, and 5 ties! That darn 50-minute timer was something I was not used to, and anytime getting into game 3 it was 80% certain we were going to get another tie. I can at least safely say I technically only lost once :p Either way it was a blast! Going to see card stores that were over there as well as talking to a bit of people with a side event here and there, it was great from start to finish.

I would love to do this again, I would love to attend as many tournaments as possible but I don't go to tournaments that often simply because I lack methods of transportation, and such usually requires a hotel and weeks of planning ahead, as well as people who want to go and drive 6 or so hours in the first place. Side note next, but I'm really grateful for you guys to host monthly online tournaments as they're easy to access and gives me a little bit more competitive experience. There are some people that call me a good player, but my problem with that is I don't feel like I have good credibility in my arguments as to why I make these deck and card choices, you know, not going to as many tournaments as I can. Tournaments like these are super fun and ever the opportunity to come to one again I'd do it.

Wow I typed a lot for a simple curiosity question. lol

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
round 1, Sejes beat Da_Loc 2-1.

first notable tournament was back in 2012 I believe. HG-SS era.
Columbus, OH states. I went 5-3 with ReshiPhlosion

Last edited:

Grounder890

Aspiring Trainer
Round 1
I beat tri2attack 2-0

I haven't competed in my first tournament yet, actually :) I'm building decks now and my final cards are in the mail -- I'm new to the game!

Heviin

Aspiring Trainer
@Heviin wins 2-0 vs @jgpokemonmaster

Very nice opponent! It was a pleasure playing you!

I remember the first tournament I ever played in. It was back in 2008 in Pennsylvania. When was your first?

I started playing when Forbidden Light was released. I was playing Dusk Mane/Garb at locals, and I used malamar/ultra necrozma during my first league cup event and I got 7th place! :p

Sethy79

Aspiring Trainer
Round 1:
@Sethy79 wins 2-0 vs. @TheCraftyScot

Game 1: sethy79
Game 2: sethy79

You've got a great deck idea and had me quite scared during the second game. I hope you have more consistent draws going forward. I would not want to face your deck again!

My first tournament was in 2015. My son got into Pokemon and wanted to go to the card shop to play. I learned so I could teach him how to play and at his first event I struggled to not give him tips and help to the point the judge told me to shut up or play :) I got my own deck and have been playing ever since.

Jake_Silberman

Competitive PTCG Player
Beat @SamuelOak 2-1 in Round 1. Very close games, man! Good luck in the rest of the tournament!

My first tournament was in December 2016, when I first got into the physical game. I was in the Senior division at this point. It was some random local tournament, and it was a lot of fun, but I ended up losing my second round, and I guess, at the time, they were doing single-elimination? My first SANCTIONED tournament was a League Challenge in the same month, where I got 1st against a bunch of bad Seniors. Felt like I was at the top of the world.

SamuelOak

Researcher
Beat @SamuelOak 2-1 in Round 1. Very close games, man! Good luck in the rest of the tournament!

My first tournament was in December 2016, when I first got into the physical game. I was in the Senior division at this point. It was some random local tournament, and it was a lot of fun, but I ended up losing my second round, and I guess, at the time, they were doing single-elimination? My first SANCTIONED tournament was a League Challenge in the same month, where I got 1st against a bunch of bad Seniors. Felt like I was at the top of the world.

Good luck to you too man, your deck was frightening to play against! I'm sure you'll do very well in the next rounds, and I look forward to playing you again.

Kashvinder Mann

Aspiring Trainer
@Kashvinder Mann wins 2-0 against @GamePhoenix due to not showing up more than 30 minutes at our scheduled timing. Was looking forward to the match too. Sent @PokeMedic a PM since I can't add him to the converstation.

My first tournament was a week or so after the Sun & Moon pre-release. Got to meet a few guys from there and they invited me to their in house monthly tournament (in a bar no less) and I was so out of place because I brought along a Gengar deck (Creep Show) with Trevenant Break and everyone else had the usual EX attackers in theirs. Still managed to pick up 2 wins against a Mega Gardevoir EX deck and a Zygarde EX deck! First proper tournament was an SPE, I got myself an Yveltal EX deck hearing it was good and once again I was behind the times, a field of Decidueye-GX and Solgaleo-GX murdered me. I've learnt my lesson haha.

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
@Kent Freeze wins 2-0 against @Brancus . Wish you had better luck on the draw there -- those were some bricky games, not pretty at all. Thanks for being a friendly opponent and for your flexibility in scheduling.

FralPal

[model]feraligatr[/model]
Round 1
FralPal wins 2-0 agains @ericyo
Thanks for the awesome games! Good luck in the rest of the tournament!

My first tournament, I think it was expanded. I watched hundreds of hours of YouTube at that point and thought I had a pretty good understanding of how Night March played, and found out quickly that I infact did not! I played soooo slow and lost every match. Night March is still my favorite deck to this day!