• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Please Help My Donphan Toolbox

SlimJim

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone, I'm slimjim, and am a new player to the Pokemon TCG scene. I thought I'd post here to get some help with fleshing out my deck as well as getting tips on how to get better.

Let me know what you guys think, any constructive feedback is appreciated!

Pokémon: 19
3 - 3 Donphan Prime (HGSS-107)
3 - 3 Yanmega Prime (TR-98)
2 - 2 Zoroark (BW-71)
1 Zekrom (BW-47)
1 Reshiram (BW-something or other)
1 Manaphy (UL-3)

T/S/S: 28
4 Pluspower
4 Junk Arm
4 Pokemon Communication
3 Pokemon Reversal
3 Switch
4 Pokémon Collector
3 Copycat
3 Judge

Energy: 13
8 Fighting Energy
3 DCE
2 Rescue

Strategy:

Basic Stage 1 Toolbox strategy applies here. Get out Yanmega to snipe/attack as soon as possible, while tossing out Donphan as needed to counter or tank. Zoroark is an obvious tech in the metagame, and Manaphy as a not-as-frail-as-Cleffa starter. I added the Zekrom and lone Reshiram as a tech against Yanmega and Kingdra respectively.

Thanks guys, any help is truly appreciated!

Vampire Joker

Aspiring Trainer
I am also a new player and have been trying to find a deck that fits my play style. My advice is to go with a machamp/donphan prime set up since the two compliment each other so well. I was going too go with this but getting my hands on Donphan Prime has been met with failure. If your wanting too keep Zekrom in the deck I would also recommend playing DCE (Double Colorless Energy) so you can turn 1 Outrage and make your opponent think twice about attacking due to the beef up outrage will get.

SlimJim

Aspiring Trainer
Vampire Joker said:
I am also a new player and have been trying to find a deck that fits my play style. My advice is to go with a machamp/donphan prime set up since the two compliment each other so well. I was going too go with this but getting my hands on Donphan Prime has been met with failure. If your wanting too keep Zekrom in the deck I would also recommend playing DCE (Double Colorless Energy) so you can turn 1 Outrage and make your opponent think twice about attacking due to the beef up outrage will get.

Taking into consideration that a variation of a stage 1 deck got 2nd at US nats, as well as the inevitable arrival of pokemon catcher...I don't see machamp being as relevant in the format anymore. I don't care whether I run Zekrom or not, I just want to run what is good and will maximize my chances of winning games. For the decklist without the inclusion of Zekrom, yanmega decks are a pain, and water decks signify an autoloss. For this reason alone I chose to include Zekrom as a tech because it's outrage would work well enough due to earthquake damage. I just do not want to get stuck with it to start since the retreat cost is so high. I posted in the hopes that someone with more experience than myself could give me a better alternative.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
Keep your deck, its pretty good. The only change I would make is swapping the Junipers for Copycats to help Yanmega attack since 3 Judge might not be enough.

OU Pokemon

Aspiring Trainer
Excellent deck, as this will be the deck to play right now, since Pokemon Catcher will be released in less than 2 weeks, but I would switch the Junipers for Copycat to make the deck more consistent and will help Yanmega attack, as 3 Judges won't be enough.

@Vampire Joker, With Pokemon Catcher coming out, Machamp won't be relevant anymore, as he will be out-sped and killed as a Machop or Machoke.

thefleeee

Uber N00b
I like the deck and the way its structured but I would personally run

-1-1 Donphan Prime
+1-1 Yanmega Prime
For the consistency purposes and so both attackers are equally played

-1 Manaphy
+1 Reshiram

For the Kingdra matchup

-3 Fighting
+3 DCE

For the almost immediate Outrage or Foul Play

thefleeee

Uber N00b
smiland0711 said:
i do not like manaphy so i would not play it at all

Just because you do not like a card doenst give you a reason not to play it. Manaphy is better than Cleffa IMO, because it cant get Tyrouge donked

SlimJim

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks for the help so far guys, I decided to test out the Yanmega 3-3 line! And Flee, you don't think that the Zekrom tech will be enough to stop Kingdra? I mean I understand the synergy of Donphan and dragons but considering how I have already included two Zekrom for Kingdra and Yanmega, you think that the Kingdra matchup alone warrants the inclusion of another whole card for itself? What if the lone Reshiram just gets reversal'd/gusted out and dies, then wouldnt it be better to have two for the purpose of consistency? I feel like adding Reshiram would just require a chain of other cards just to allow it to work, which is one reason why I was so cautious to even add in Zekrom. Also, if I added in just one Reshiram, that would bring me up to a 25% chance of starting with a pokemon with a retreat cost of two, and doesn't that negate the effectiveness of a stage 1 rush deck?
Several more questions to all; One, because I am running Donphan and Zekrom, should I up the switch count to 3 and if so, what should I take out for it? Also, would it be worthwhile to sacrifice 3 or so fighting energies for some rescue energies just to ensure that I have enough of the specific pokemon I need to counter whatever my opponent throws at me?
Thanks a bunch guys!

OU Pokemon

Aspiring Trainer
You don't need 13 Fighting energy, you only need about 8 or, so...

-5 Fighting Energy (not needed)

+1 Switch (More consistant, and since you'll have another high retreat cost Pokemon, I would recommend that)
+2 Lightning energy (Bolt Strike) or +1 Copycat and +1 Judge (hand refresh)
+2 Rescue Energy (In case one of your Pokemon get KO'ed)

+5

thefleeee

Uber N00b
I would play Reshiram, because then Dragon Steam would only do 20 rather than 60 and that helps out against Kingdra

Cinema

Gyarados Bait
Yes, if your expecting some amount of Kingdra then definitely tech in a Reshiram. Why not? It's basically another Zekrom that also covers things that are weak to fire.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
minimidget94 said:
It's basically another Zekrom that also covers things that are weak to fire.

Which is...nothing? lol

The only thing it's good for is limiting Kingdra and even then, it's easily reversaled up and/or sniped around.

dmaster out.

SlimJim

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm, yes I definitely know about the whole reducing Kingdra's damage output thing, I just didn't know if teching in just one would be worth it in a format so influenced by Pokemon Reversal and soon Pokemon Catcher. I decided to take out a Manaphy and add in a switch, and I'll have to devote some time soon to think about adding in that Reshiram.

pokemaster563

BABY MUSHROOM! <3 :D
-5 Fighting Energy

+3 DCE
+2 Rescue Energy

13 is too many fighting energy. The DCE is for the zoroark's being able to send out that foul play, or popping in with outrage. the rescue energy is so you can get something necessary back that you dont have on the bench. other then that. amazing deck. love it.

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon: 19
3 - 3 Yanmega Prime (TR-98)
2 - 2 Zoroark (BW-71)
1 Zekrom (BW-47)
1 Reshiram
1 Manaphy (UL-3)

4 Pluspower
4 Junk Arm
4 Pokemon Communication
3 Pokemon Reversal
3 Switch
4 Pokémon Collector
3 Copycat
3 Judge

Energy: 13
8 Fighting Energy
3 DCE
2 Rescue Energy

Pretty much what the post above me said, why you weren't using DCE and rescue just baffles me (no offense). To win the Yanmega/Kingdra, you need to be using Reshiram or they are going to absolutely kill you. IDK what else to take out, though my suggestions are to add in another Yanma (4-3 Yanmega w/ rescues is the best line to run) along with possibly adding in another Zekrom, because while the two is nice, you really need the Reshiram.

SlimJim

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, I agree that the Rescue and DC energies really are needed, and I don't know why I didn't have them there before either. -_-
I also, after much thought, agree that the Reshiram would be more useful than a second Zekrom.
Also, since I upped my switch count to 3, I've been having a very difficult debate with myself over whether I should be running a lone Manaphy or a Cleffa. On one hand, the frailty of Cleffa really acts as a free prize card anymore, but with a switch count of 3 I never find the pokemon's second drawback, sleeping too long, to be a problem. On the other hand, Manaphy is not quite as free of a prize, but the energy requirement in a deck so laden with special energies that are necessary to my other pokemon is somewhat steeper than I would prefer. Sacrificing even one of my precious Rescue or DC energies puts a huge damper on my late game, and there are just not enough Fighting energy to be able to rely on drawing one in my 1st or 2nd hand that I can waste on a Manaphy. Any help with this debate would be greatly appreciated, and thank you to all who have provided me with advice so far!

sorasin

Aspiring Trainer
SlimJim said:
Yes, I agree that the Rescue and DC energies really are needed, and I don't know why I didn't have them there before either. -_-
I also, after much thought, agree that the Reshiram would be more useful than a second Zekrom.
Also, since I upped my switch count to 3, I've been having a very difficult debate with myself over whether I should be running a lone Manaphy or a Cleffa. On one hand, the frailty of Cleffa really acts as a free prize card anymore, but with a switch count of 3 I never find the pokemon's second drawback, sleeping too long, to be a problem. On the other hand, Manaphy is not quite as free of a prize, but the energy requirement in a deck so laden with special energies that are necessary to my other pokemon is somewhat steeper than I would prefer. Sacrificing even one of my precious Rescue or DC energies puts a huge damper on my late game, and there are just not enough Fighting energy to be able to rely on drawing one in my 1st or 2nd hand that I can waste on a Manaphy. Any help with this debate would be greatly appreciated, and thank you to all who have provided me with advice so far!

As far as the Cleffa/Manaphy debate goes, I'd say go with Manaphy. Cleffa is going to be even more of a free target come Catcher. Not to mention it can easily be donked by Tyrogue, which is a staple in most decks. Manaphy is a harder target to kill and cannot be donked as conveniently.

edit: And although it doesn't seem to be an issue with you, an overly sleepy Cleffa situation will not occur with Manaphy which is one less thing to be concerned about.

Attaching a DCE or a Rescue to Manaphy would indeed be wasteful, but you are running 8 Fighting Energy. It's not a large count, but drawing into it with enough hand refresh as you do doesn't seem too infeasible. Also, Rescue Energy wouldn't be too bad, because at least you can get the Manaphy back into your hand to play again or use for other purposes (read: Junk Arm, Poke Comm, etc...). Just my two cents.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
I believe you would want to maximize your opportunities to utilize Yanmega’s Poké-Body, Insight; so the inclusion of an additional Copycat and Judge would help. So, I’d suggest:
-1 Pokémon Communication
-1 Junk Arm
+1 Copycat
+1 Judge

The extra Copycat and Judge will not only enhance your drawing, they will also “force” 2 additional opportunities for you to use leverage Yanmega’s no-energy-cost attacks! Keep in mind that many good players can purposely alter their hand size to minimize your use of Yanmega’s no-energy-cost attacks.

By the way, I also run the dragons in my Donphan deck. I’ve found them to be excellent techs against a number of decks, especially since Don’s Earthquake attack actually fuels/powers-up the dragons’ Outrage attack! And should you encounter other Yanmega decks (and you will), Zekroms will keep them in check. Reshiram also provides a nice counter to other decks too. So, I’d suggest:
-1 Yanmega Prime
+1 Zekrom

Imho, you’ll need an additional Zekrom (especially in a mirror match) more than a Reshiram. Plus, 1 additional basic also enhances your starting setup.

Between the Zekroms, Reshiram, and Zoroark, you will use the DCE; so, I would also suggest maximizing the DCE to 4. So, I’d suggest:
-1 Switch
+1 DCE

Another “trick” I’ve used is to attach rainbow energy sometimes to my Zekrom and Reshiram in order to “force” damage unto them in order to subsequently increase damage output. So, you might want to consider replacing 2 fighting energy for rainbow energy. On second thought, the rescue energy may not really be that beneficial since Don’s Heavy Impact attack requires 3 fighting energy. And why miss an energy drop by attaching a rescue energy when neither of your main attackers will use rescues for attacking? So, I’d suggest:
-2 Rescue
+2 Rainbow

Lastly, you have no “recovery” in the deck. So, I’d suggest:
-1 Plus Power
+1 Flower Shop Lady

Some of the cards I targeted for replacement were primarily Trainers, especially in cases where you had 4. With the Junk Arms, you should have ample opportunities to re-play any reduced number of main Trainers. I hope my comments help.

P.S, Given the popularity of this deck post-Nats, consider playtesting ALOT against LostGar decks and decks running Vileplume.

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon: 21
4 - 3 Yanmega Prime (TR-98)
2 - 2 Zoroark (BW-71)
2 Zekrom (BW-47)
1 Reshiram
1 Manaphy (UL-3)

4 Pluspower
4 Junk Arm
4 Pokemon Communication
3 Pokemon Reversal
2 Switch
4 Pokémon Collector
4 Copycat
3 Judge

Energy: 11
6 Fighting Energy
3 DCE
2 Rescue Energy

Testing this deck a bit, I realized that a 2/1 split of Zekrom/Reshiram is needed, with Reshiram only being used as a benchsitter really in the Yanmega/Kingdra matchup, mainly because if you don't play it, Kingdra just outright murders you. Also, a 4-3 Yanmega with rescues is amazing and the best way to play Yanmega. As for Zoroark, I'd say if you can find room, play a 3-3, because that it the line you need to play to win the TyRam matchup. Though if TyRam isn't big in your area, 2-2 is just fine.