PTCGO Playing games without EX/GX pokémon

MightyKawa

Aspiring Trainer
Hello!

I'm quite new to this game, I know pokémon for a long time already and enjoy the card game but since a couple of days I have found out that the game can be played online.

It is fun, I love it. Too bad a lot of people use EX/GX pokémon that are almost impossible to kill with normal pokémon. This ruins the fun... Is there a game mode where these pokémon are not allowed?

Another thing that ruins it is that for example a Blastoise EX is a basic pokémon? That doesn't make sense in my opinion.. I hope I find help here and really hope there is a different game mode.

Thanks!

No, there is not a different game mode. There are normal pokemon that people use regularly to kill EX/GX pomkemon. For example, Alolan Ninetales is a non-GX that beats ofhter GX pokemon.

Theme decks don't include EX or GX Pokémon, so the Theme Deck format is your only option for that. You have to use (pretty bad) pre-built theme decks though, so you're limited in the cards you can use. The theme decks coming out in a week or two with Ultra Prism look like they could be better than average though, so you might give those a shot. You can buy the physical deck for about $15-20 and redeem the included code online.

(I don't think the Battle Arena and Legendary Battle decks are legal in the theme deck format, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Theme Decks are your way to go. They're really bad (as stated previously) with a random mish-mash of Pokemon, Trainers/Supporters and Energies (most of them from that new set). Cobble together a deck from the playable stuff in theme decks. (There aren't a lot of playable cards in theme decks, usually the playable cards are often the focal point of the deck; like Alolan Ninetales in the F Deck.)

You're best bet is to (if you're playing online), grind for coins to get packs. Buy packs too. Online, you can get almost everything you could really need (save for stuff like Lele pr Shay) with pack codes. Simply input the codes, but don't open the digital product(s). If you redeem coins for packs on PTCGO; you cannot trade those to a fellow player.

The only way to really "get ahead" in this game is to spend money. You got to spend money to make money.

(I don't think the Battle Arena and Legendary Battle decks are legal in the theme deck format, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

The Legendary Battle decks are not legal in Theme Deck format, but legal in Expanded and Unlimited formats.

You can create any game mode you want when you're just playing for fun. Build decks with no EX/GX, no Pokemon with over 80hp, basics only, whatever sounds fun!

Oh, wow. I am not going to be making a lot of friends in this thread... I don't know everything about this game, but we've got a faulty premise and some slightly off answers (mostly because they accepted the faulty premise). Welcome to the game, MightyKawa, and these message boards. I hope you're a better person than I am, and more willing/able to accept correction. ;) The short version is that, not only can Pokémon-EX/GX be beaten, some of these cards are really bad while most are mediocre (like Blastoise-EX). For the longer version:

I'm quite new to this game, I know pokémon for a long time already and enjoy the card game but since a couple of days I have found out that the game can be played online.

It is fun, I love it. Too bad a lot of people use EX/GX pokémon that are almost impossible to kill with normal pokémon. This ruins the fun... Is there a game mode where these pokémon are not allowed?

There are no Pokémon-EX/GX in the Theme Format, which only allows Theme Decks: please note that not all Pre-Constructed decks are classified as "Theme Decks" (by the PTCGO, if not by Pokémon in general) and that there are some PTCGO exclusive decks. If you're new to the PTCGO, start with the Trainer Challenge mode. This is a single player mode that will help you get used to the PTCGO interface, contains some easy unlockables, and will show you that Pokémon-EX/GX aren't invincible. How so? The very artificial, but not very intelligent CPU opponent's sometimes have them, and yet this is the super-beginner mode, where you may only use Theme Decks. ;)

There are balance issues within the Pokémon TCG, but they are not Limited to a particular Type, Stage, or being a Pokémon-EX/GX. Are some Pokémon-EX/GX too powerful for the game's own good? Yes. Some are rubbish, though, and the same holds true for almost every other combination of Stage, Type, and mechanic. If you're having trouble beating any Pokémon-EX/GX, it means you need to improve your deck, improve your skills, or improve both. Pokémon-EX/GX are worth two Prizes, that means you can lose two Pokémon scoring the KO still break even, while scoring the KO with one Pokémon will allow you to take the lead. Some cards have potent, anti-Pokémon-EX/GX effects, but a lot of it is just learning how to approach the situation and - of course, obtaining a better card pool.

How do you affordably get more cards in the PTCGO?

In one sense, you don't; it is going to cost you either time or money, however, it is possible to build competitive decks on the PTCGO without investing actual money into the game. I know, because that is how I use the PTCGO; I've spent no money on it, merely invested a lot of time. Nor am I a genius player who wins all the time; I don't track it, but I estimate that I win between 40% to 60% of the time. The big issue here is learning that

1) Some packs can be traded, while others are "trade-locked".
2) Unless you're "rich" or intentionally investing in becoming a trader, you do not open any pack you can trade.
3) Use non-tradeable rewards to reduce the need for tradeable versions of cards as best you can.
4) Earn stuff you can trade through certain in game rewards, most notably, by winning tournaments. There are Theme Format tournaments!
5) Learn the current trade rate for both booster packs and cards; not all boosters are valued equally!
6) Learn the basics of trading well; being patient and looking for good deals is a big part!

Last but not but not least, not all Theme Decks are equal. Some are really bad and none are competitive outside of the Theme Format, but most of the SM-era Theme Decks are at least "decent" for the Theme Deck mode. Unless you already have enough tokens - each will cost you 500 - then you'll have to make do with what you've got. Still, it shouldn't take too long to grind that initial 500, and by then, you can get the "Mach Strike" Theme Deck from SM - Ultra Prism. If you do have enough now, then go for the "Luminous Frost" or "Rock Steady". They are the most reliable of the Theme Decks, not too hard to learn, but still among the best in terms of offense as well. Some of the others are better but are a bit less reliable or tricky to learn (at least, when you're new).

Oh, wow. I am not going to be making a lot of friends in this thread... I don't know everything about this game, but we've got a faulty premise and some slightly off answers (mostly because they accepted the faulty premise). Welcome to the game, MightyKawa, and these message boards. I hope you're a better person than I am, and more willing/able to accept correction. ;) The short version is that, not only can Pokémon-EX/GX be beaten, some of these cards are really bad while most are mediocre (like Blastoise-EX). For the longer version:

There are no Pokémon-EX/GX in the Theme Format, which only allows Theme Decks: please note that not all Pre-Constructed decks are classified as "Theme Decks" (by the PTCGO, if not by Pokémon in general) and that there are some PTCGO exclusive decks. If you're new to the PTCGO, start with the Trainer Challenge mode. This is a single player mode that will help you get used to the PTCGO interface, contains some easy unlockables, and will show you that Pokémon-EX/GX aren't invincible. How so? The very artificial, but not very intelligent CPU opponent's sometimes have them, and yet this is the super-beginner mode, where you may only use Theme Decks. ;)

There are balance issues within the Pokémon TCG, but they are not Limited to a particular Type, Stage, or being a Pokémon-EX/GX. Are some Pokémon-EX/GX too powerful for the game's own good? Yes. Some are rubbish, though, and the same holds true for almost every other combination of Stage, Type, and mechanic. If you're having trouble beating any Pokémon-EX/GX, it means you need to improve your deck, improve your skills, or improve both. Pokémon-EX/GX are worth two Prizes, that means you can lose two Pokémon scoring the KO still break even, while scoring the KO with one Pokémon will allow you to take the lead. Some cards have potent, anti-Pokémon-EX/GX effects, but a lot of it is just learning how to approach the situation and - of course, obtaining a better card pool.

How do you affordably get more cards in the PTCGO?

In one sense, you don't; it is going to cost you either time or money, however, it is possible to build competitive decks on the PTCGO without investing actual money into the game. I know, because that is how I use the PTCGO; I've spent no money on it, merely invested a lot of time. Nor am I a genius player who wins all the time; I don't track it, but I estimate that I win between 40% to 60% of the time. The big issue here is learning that

1) Some packs can be traded, while others are "trade-locked".
2) Unless you're "rich" or intentionally investing in becoming a trader, you do not open any pack you can trade.
3) Use non-tradeable rewards to reduce the need for tradeable versions of cards as best you can.
4) Earn stuff you can trade through certain in game rewards, most notably, by winning tournaments. There are Theme Format tournaments!
5) Learn the current trade rate for both booster packs and cards; not all boosters are valued equally!
6) Learn the basics of trading well; being patient and looking for good deals is a big part!

Last but not but not least, not all Theme Decks are equal. Some are really bad and none are competitive outside of the Theme Format, but most of the SM-era Theme Decks are at least "decent" for the Theme Deck mode. Unless you already have enough tokens - each will cost you 500 - then you'll have to make do with what you've got. Still, it shouldn't take too long to grind that initial 500, and by then, you can get the "Mach Strike" Theme Deck from SM - Ultra Prism. If you do have enough now, then go for the "Luminous Frost" or "Rock Steady". They are the most reliable of the Theme Decks, not too hard to learn, but still among the best in terms of offense as well. Some of the others are better but are a bit less reliable or tricky to learn (at least, when you're new).

Really could not have put it better myself.

One thing I should mention is that some people and card shops do sell individual unredeemed code cards from booster packs and such (some people don't care about the online game and just hand them in) for often just a buck each, so if you want a bunch of tradable boosters quickly you can make a bulk purchase of those, redeem them, and trade them for the cards you want.

The key here is to know what you're looking for; you can't just get a cool-looking GX and expect it to do well. Spend some time on these forums and get ideas from threads in the Deck Garage and the like. There's a thread there with great ideas for budget decks that don't require expensive cards like Tapu Lele.

And then yeah, just rely on untradable cards as much as possible. If you go on win streaks, you can earn a lot of coins quickly, and you also earn coins just for logging in daily.

Yes, provided you find a reputable seller, buying redemption codes, figuring out what you really need (or want, for collectibles), learning the going rates, and finally trading for what you want is the fast way to get going in the PTCGO. @MightyKawa That link takes you to the official Pokémon Trading Card Game Online forums, specifically the In-Game Item Exchange subforum. There, you'll find threads where people make inquiries and/or post offers. Among those, you'll find a few threads run by "trading groups" (sometimes "trading guilds", "trading companies" etc.). These are basically a bunch of players banding together to make trading easier and their posted price lists will give you an idea of what cards are going for without having to do all the work yourself. ;)

Just remember, they are the "convenience store" or "full-service option" when it comes to trading, charging a premium because they make it so handy to trade with them. Some always have a person online to trade with, some have reward programs, some have better deals than others, etc. When "buying" (trying to acquire the card you want), never settle for the price they are asking for from anyone other than them. After all, if you can get the same card for the same price without all the work, maybe with an added reward program perk, of course, you'd be better off just doing that instead. XP Likewise, when trying to "sell" (trade away) something of yours, don't expect to get as much (let alone more) than what these groups are asking. Sometimes you'll get lucky and people will overpay, but that's mostly taking advantage of the new or the ignorant. Unless someone just needs a card ASAP and your offer is right there. A good "rule of thumb" is to shoot for/settle for half the going rate. If/when you get better at trading, you can shoot for paying only a third of what they ask or getting three-fourths of what they ask. Assuming you don't mind investing a lot of time in trading. ;)

One last thing... @MightyKawa you originally wondered by Pokémon-EX/GX were even invented. The short answer is "gimmicks drive this game." It is unfortunate but true and seems to apply to a lot of the TCG industry. The not-quite-as-short answer is that not all Pokémon are created equally in the video games, and so those that were really strong were hard to faithfully adapt to the TCG; the TCG sometimes tries to ape bits of the single player video game experience, but there is no good way to represent getting a bunch of awesome Legendary Pokémon in the after game (honestly, it doesn't always work well for the multiplayer of the video games, either). At first, Pokémon-EX were only used to represent Legendary Pokémon. There were still some that were "too good" (a.k.a. "broken") but as a concept it was sound; stronger Pokémon but you lose two Prizes instead of one. Unfortunately, a lot of fans didn't either didn't get this or care about this and wanted everything available as Pokémon-EX. Perhaps even worse, "Mega Evolutions" were introduced to the video games, and so they had to be added to the TCG. The powers-that-be decided that Mega Evolutions would be Pokémon-EX as well - they were supposed to be really strong, after all - and so we'd get a Basic, Pokémon-EX version of anything that could Mega Evolve.

Back