Pikachu Illustrator Sells for Record $900,000, Now Most Expensive Pokemon Card Ever Sold!

$900,000 for one card, does that sound logical? What is the rationale to spend $900,000 for that one card with an intrinsic properties that is no more than $1.00 of materials?
It doesn't have to be logical when you have money like that. People spend 900,000 or more on a car and wreck it without second thought. the rich can do as the rich please. If I had 900k to spend on a card and wanted it that badly I'm gonna buy it. I don't have that much money but I'm not butthurt that someone else does. cry elsewhere.

$900,000 for one card, does that sound logical? What is the rationale to spend $900,000 for that one card with an intrinsic properties that is no more than $1.00 of materials?
You could say that about literally any card, any painting, etc. 1 million is a lot, yes but trading cards, like art, are luxury goods. The person who bought it obviously had the money to throw around. Being angry about the price isn't gonna change the fact that someone paid that much for it and therefore it's worth it, at least to them. The price will of course fluctuate, but it's a rare piece with only a handful of copies, and the price will always reflect that. It's the holy grail of Pokemon card collecting, and any of us would be lucky to even see one in person.

It doesn't have to be logical when you have money like that. People spend 900,000 or more on a car and wreck it without second thought. the rich can do as the rich please. If I had 900k to spend on a card and wanted it that badly I'm gonna buy it. I don't have that much money but I'm not butthurt that someone else does. cry elsewhere.
If someone would spend that much money for one stupid card then that tells the type of person he/she/it is: an ungrateful, careless, selfish, useless person. And show some respect, tell me have you went days without food/drink or lived in a street? If you did then you would never waste good money on materials. I am fortunate to avoid human basic needs and refrain my for making stupid decision like that individual.

You could say that about literally any card, any painting, etc. 1 million is a lot, yes but trading cards, like art, are luxury goods. The person who bought it obviously had the money to throw around. Being angry about the price isn't gonna change the fact that someone paid that much for it and therefore it's worth it, at least to them. The price will of course fluctuate, but it's a rare piece with only a handful of copies, and the price will always reflect that. It's the holy grail of Pokemon card collecting, and any of us would be lucky to even see one in person.
You sir have no life. Period. To be fortunate to see a person with that card? Yeah, wait until the day you cannot afford basic human needs.

You sir have no life. Period. To be fortunate to see a person with that card? Yeah, wait until the day you cannot afford basic human needs.
Bro lol. It's printed art on cardboard. It's a luxury good. I'M the one saying that it's not comparable to food or other necessities. Watch some smpratte on Youtube. Yes, I would consider myself lucky to see a Illustrator in person, just as I would feel lucky to see the Mona Lisa in person. In the same way, I would never think that I could ever own the Mona Lisa, nor ever feel butthurt over how many millions it is worth over the "cost of materials."

Kind of insane to imagine someone spending the equivalent of multiple houses on a single card.
It's not even a good investment. Might be able to flip it in the very near term for a small profit, but this market is absolutely a bubble.

I quite agree! As ridiculous as 900,000$ sounds, to someone as rich as, say, Jeff Bezos (an extreme example), 900,000$ is like the average person spending 900$. I think the only time to be angry is when it's someone who'll use their position to (even unintentionally) affect the market for the worse.
Like LP for example.. I mean I'm not hating on him or anything, I even watch his recent vlogs because I personally like them, but he's affecting the PTCG market (especially for the 1st edition) heavily, and buys/opens them more for content than for a collector's itch

Back