• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard P Groudon EX and Friends (Primal Groudon EX / Landorus)

DevinTheWelf

A Mach Punch User
Haven't really made a deck thread in awhile, but I've been working with this P Groudon deck for a long time so that I could eventually use it for nationals this year. Before the event goes down I want to get some feed back on how the deck looks. I'm not going to really explain what the purpose of the deck's attcker is, I'm sure you all know what this big boy does, but I'm going to explain the other odd tech buddies he has with him.

Terrakion: Can help with non-EX matchups and is overall a nice revenge killer for cheap cost.
Wobbuffet: Screw's with opponents who use abilities as the backbone of their deck.
Suicune: Helps with Rayquaza matchup a bit, and all fast EX matchups overall.

Pokemon: 13
  • 3 Groudon EX
  • 3 Primal Groudon EX
  • 3 Landorus (FFI)
  • 1 Hawlucha (FFI)
  • 1 Terrakion (BCR)
  • 1 Wobbuffet (PHF)
  • 1 Suicune (Safeguard)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 36
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 3 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 3 Korrina
  • 1 Steven
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Scramble Switch
  • 1 Switch
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 2 Groudon Spirit Link
  • 3 Mega Turbo
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Scorched Earth
  • 2 Silent Lab
Energy: 11
  • 7 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
Considered drops:
-1 Fighting Energy
-1 Scorched Earth
-1 Terrakion
-1 Vs Seeker

I'd love to hear some thoughts on changes, and if you guys have opinions on how this deck would do against certain matchups that are sure to pop up at nationals I'd greatly appreciate it.

I would take away every Pokemon except the Groudon line and Wobbuffet. The purpose of a Groudon deck is to hide behind Wobbuffet who shuts down Abilities o non-Psychic Pokemon and setup. The other Pokemon aren't strong enough to guard Groudon especially not Suicune.
From then, you can focus on using Scorched Earth and Mega Turbo to power up Primal Groudon.

This build which is different focusing on the greatness of Omega Barrier.

Pokémon (10)
3x Primal Groudon EX
3x Groudon EX
2x Sigilyph
2x Regirock

Trainer (40)
4x Professor Sycamore
3x N-supporter
2x Lysandre
1x Lysandre's Trump Card
2x Pokémon Center Lady
2x Korrina
2x Steven
1x Colress
3x Shrine of Memories
2x Silent Lab
2x Focus Sash
2x Float Stone
2x Switch
4x Robo Substitute
4x VS Seeker
3x Ultra Ball
1x Computer Search

Energy (10)
6x Fighting Energy
4x Strong Energy

Now this list is a little outdated. I would suggest replacing LTC with a Sacred Ash and maybe have a 4-3 N and Sycamore line since I don't like to dump resources if I don't have to but that's just me.

let me know what you think.

I would take away every Pokemon except the Groudon line and Wobbuffet. The purpose of a Groudon deck is to hide behind Wobbuffet who shuts down Abilities o non-Psychic Pokemon and setup. The other Pokemon aren't strong enough to guard Groudon especially not Suicune.

I would not go so far to say it is his purpose. My son pilots a very successful P Groudon deck using Landorus to power him out. It is a matter of play style and taste. Some want to slow the game down with Wobbuffet to build up P Groudon and some want to speed it up with Landorus and discard effects.

One card that we have found to be very useful is Lucario EX after the Landorus and Groudon line. He has a different weakness than Landorus and Groudon and can give you a Shaymin effect every turn while dealing 60+ damage (Strong Energy, Muscle Band, and Fighting Stadium can take it higher). With Scorched Earth (which I would run the full four because of Landorus) you may not need as many draw Supporters. Our deck runs 4 Sycamore and 3 Korrina allowing items, Lucario EX and Scorched Earth to do the rest. If you have those lying around, you could give it a shot.

I would not go so far to say it is his purpose. My son pilots a very successful P Groudon deck using Landorus to power him out. It is a matter of play style and taste. Some want to slow the game down with Wobbuffet to build up P Groudon and some want to speed it up with Landorus and discard effects.

One card that we have found to be very useful is Lucario EX after the Landorus and Groudon line. He has a different weakness than Landorus and Groudon and can give you a Shaymin effect every turn while dealing 60+ damage (Strong Energy, Muscle Band, and Fighting Stadium can take it higher). With Scorched Earth (which I would run the full four because of Landorus) you may not need as many draw Supporters. Our deck runs 4 Sycamore and 3 Korrina allowing items, Lucario EX and Scorched Earth to do the rest. If you have those lying around, you could give it a shot.
How hold is your son? If he's in Juniors, then maybe I don't know the meta there. Lucario EX doesn't seem like a good idea since he gives up 2 prizes when KO'd and and he takes resources to power him up. Yes I could use Mega Turbo but what about during Item lock? I don't know about Lucario EX but will test it. But for now, my current build works well, especially against M Rayquaza EX.

Lucario is very strong with Strong Energy, Muscle Band and Fighting Stadium. In Groudon, however, I might not run him and rather streamline the Groudon. It makes for a faster, stronger deck and Lucario doesn't eventually give up more prizes than a measly one prizer in Landorus.

Lucario is very strong with Strong Energy, Muscle Band and Fighting Stadium. In Groudon, however, I might not run him and rather streamline the Groudon. It makes for a faster, stronger deck and Lucario doesn't eventually give up more prizes than a measly one prizer in Landorus.
I don't know why people think I'm running Lucario EX instead of Landorus. For reference, here is my line.

4x Landorus
3x Groudon EX
3x Primal Groudon EX
3x Lucario EX

The game plan most of the time is to ignore Lucario. There are still the occasional Genesect decks online where Groudon is a liability (and Grass is getting some great cards in Ancient Origins). There are the occasional heavy water deck where Landorus isn't going to live long enough to get you more than one energy. There are the occasional games where you can't get your supporters or Scorched Earth and Lucario EX refills your hand. He is a hard hitting Pokemon with a ton of upsides (unless you are playing against a Psychic deck).

I won't be adding in Lucario EX, as it takes focus away from P Groudon EX, who is already powerful enough. I'm not sure how I feel about taking away EVERYTHING besides the Groudon line and Wobbuffet. I feel like I should keep at least Suicune and Landorus because they speed up the deck as well as giving protection against decks that revolve around EX Pokemon. I've seen that decklist (I actually asked for it from someone as soon as I saw P Groudon made top 8 at UK nationals) but I don't feel like I should be basing my deck completely off of it. I also don't really think that Wobbuffet is super useful in the currect meta, as most of the ability stuff that Wobb block is also blocked by Silent Lab, which I run 2 of.

I won't be adding in Lucario EX, as it takes focus away from P Groudon EX, who is already powerful enough. I'm not sure how I feel about taking away EVERYTHING besides the Groudon line and Wobbuffet. I feel like I should keep at least Suicune and Landorus because they speed up the deck as well as giving protection against decks that revolve around EX Pokemon. I've seen that decklist (I actually asked for it from someone as soon as I saw P Groudon made top 8 at UK nationals) but I don't feel like I should be basing my deck completely off of it. I also don't really think that Wobbuffet is super useful in the currect meta, as most of the ability stuff that Wobb block is also blocked by Silent Lab, which I run 2 of.
Landorus is weak to Water so in case you want a good matchup againt Toad, I would suggest replacing him with something else. As for the Sigilyph you definitely can run Suicune instead of it since they do the same thing. But he has a 2 retreat cost while Sigilyph only needs 1 energy.

Landorus is weak to Water so in case you want a good matchup againt Toad, I would suggest replacing him with something else. As for the Sigilyph you definitely can run Suicune instead of it since they do the same thing. But he has a 2 retreat cost while Sigilyph only needs 1 energy.

In a Toad matchup (which is actually one of the easier matchups for this deck) I just straight up wouldn't play Landorus unless I started with him, then oh well thats 1 prize they get. All I have to do is get P Groudon up which takes 5 hits from a banded Quaking Punch because Hypnolazor doesn't do anything because of his trait. If I can stall well with other 1 prize pokemon I can get P Groudon up and just win from there. And I'm most likely going to replace Suicune with Sigilyph because of the retreat cost. If I retreat with him it sets up Mega Turbo or Landorus.

I agree. Toad is one of this deck's best matchups. Though, I simply must say that Wobbuffet helps seal the deal in this regard because you shut down Toad's Shaymin, murderizing their draw and slowing them down to your pace.

I'd try it out, especially since people have been taking to playing Ninetales to keep you from playing more Stadiums. It might be interesting to counter this.

Fair enough, I'll add an extra Wobbuffet if you all think it would help with overall, I think I'll be dropping 1 Landorus or 1 Terrakion. I'll update the list once I sort it out.

Back